So, any comments from the Memorial?

by NewYork44M 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Nicholaus Kopernicus
    Nicholaus Kopernicus

The elder giving the memorial talk in my congregation quoted 1 Cor 11:20 to show why individuals should not partake....

" Therefore, when YOU come together to one place, it is not possible to eat the Lord’s evening meal."

I have no recollection of this verse having been used before, and especially its being used out of context like that!

• darkspilver
  • Perry
    Perry
    Does the wt Bible leave out "all of you"? - Carla

No it is the same in the New World Translation

• OutsiderLookingIn
    OutsiderLookingIn

Nicholas Kopernicus: The elder giving the memorial talk in my congregation quoted 1 Cor 11:20 to show why individuals should not partake....

" Therefore, when YOU come together to one place, it is not possible to eat the Lord’s evening meal."

I have no recollection of this verse having been used before, and especially its being used out of context like that!

I've had this verse quoted to me from the semi-JW that I know when I said I believe it was wrong for JWs to discourage people from partaking the Lord's Supper. So perhaps this is a recent development to use it. Most likely (in the case of my friend anyhow), one of the reference articles on the subject on the jw website probably cites this verse and they take it and run with it.

I immediately called my friend out on it and said it had been completely taken out of context. Paul was clearly chastising the Corinthians for not reverently treating the Lord's supper as the symbol that it was (v. 27-29). Instead of remembering the body and blood of Christ, they were taking it as an opportunity to be divisive and clicquish. Paul further contradicts this dubious viewpoint in verse 33, when he tells them, "when you come together to eat, wait for one another." Indoctrination is real smh.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit