To The Australian Government .Have Jehovah`s Witnesses signed the Redress scheme ?

by smiddy3 13 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Maybe I`m a just a bit more impatient than some ,but the Govt. did say they will name and shame those who do not sign up to the Redress Scheme didn`t they ? And take away their special priveledges , etc.?

And as a supposed Christian Religion shouldn`t the Government point out the moral and ethical responsability Jehovah`s Witnesses have in joining the redress Scheme ?

I wonder when we can look forward to when the Govt.will eventually act out there commtment.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Jeezus, it’s still the weekend.

Give ‘em at least till Monday!

😁

• jonahstourguide
    jonahstourguide

I'm on your team smiddy. I cannot wait to see action although, covid is keeping the Govt a little distracted at the moment. I keep checking all Govt news outlets.

I wonder if that will need to be presented to parliament in some form first.

jtg

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Well it`s now the first day of Feb. and I still haven`t seen or heard anything about any action taken against those who did not, and still have not signed up to the Redress Scheme.

Including the Jehovah`s Witnesses .?

Has the A.R.C. just been a toothless tiger After all ? I`m sure the victims can`t be too happy about the Commissions / Governments inaction .?

It is more than two months ago when the Minister Anne Ruston said it was unacceptable for any organization not to join the scheme,and action would be taken against them.

• Achille
    Achille

The deadline was extended to the end of February:

https://youtu.be/BAx05t-JcBY

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Thank you Achille for that update .

I missed that ,though I don`t know how as I tune in to the ABC radio and TV stations daily ?

They certainly are given more lee-way to right a wrong than what they give to their members I dare-say.

The end of february now ,it will be interesting to see what happens then ?

And not ANOTHER extension I hope.

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

Weak. Why would you give them yet another chance, and why would they take the government seriously when it doesn't.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    dubstepped - "Why would you give them yet another chance...?"

To demonstrate that they are bending over backwards to be reasonable and fair, and that the Org has had absolutely every chance to do the right thing, will not, and have therefore condemned themselves by their own actions...

...and when their tax-exemption is finally revoked, they will have zero legitimate cause to whine about "persecution", or (more importantly from the secular authorities' POV) waste the courts' time and money trying to fight the results.

IMO, the folks in charge of the Redress scheme are doing exactly what they need to do...

In addition, the public outcry over CSA has become an issue that democratic nations can no longer ignore, the WTS has presented themselves as a near-perfect subject for an example to be made of (something that occasionally needs to be done), and I'm positive the Aussie legal system knows it.

Not to mention that they also know the world is watching with interest, so their tactics can serve as a template for others to follow.

Big picture, man, big picture.

• pistolpete
    pistolpete

The deadline was extended to the end of February:

February 28 2021; The deadline was extended to the end of MARCH

• smiddy3
    smiddy3
    pistolpete
    March? Do you have a reference for that deadline ?

OK Maybe I have found it.

, institutions listed above may have their charitable status removed should they be eligible for Commonwealth Government tax concessions. Amendments to primary legislation to enable this were passed by the Parliament late in 2020 and will commence by April 2021.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit