"Outside the realms" of the words meaning?

by Blotty 14 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

PetrW, here's a few alternative translations, proving the veracity of Prof. BeDuhn's words. Don't think any of these translators had any contact with JWs, yet they translate it the same as the NWT.

Example 1: (and persons, coming out from among the memorial tombs after his being raised up, entered into the holy city,) and they became visible to many people. (Matt. 27:53 NWT)

(They came out of the tombs after his resurrection and went into the holy city and appeared to many people.) (Matt. 27:53 NET)

Example 2: and everyone that is living and exercises faith in me will never die at all. (Jn. 11:26 NWT)

Everyone who lives and believes in Me will never die-- ever. (Jn. 11:26 CSB)

Everyone who lives in me and believes in me will never ever die. (Jn. 11:26 NLT)

Example 3: (The rest of the dead did not come to life until the thousand years were ended.) This is the first resurrection. (Rev. 20:5 NWT)

(The rest of the dead did not come to life until the thousand years were finished.) This is the first resurrection. (Rev. 20:5 NET)

(The rest of the dead did not come to life until the thousand years were over.) This is the first resurrection. (Rev. 20:5 CJB)

(The rest of the dead did not come to life until the thousand years were ended.) This is the first resurrection. (Rev. 20:5 NIB)

(The rest of the dead did not come to life until the thousand years were ended.) This is the first resurrection. (Rev. 20:5 NIV)

• PetrW
    PetrW

@Vidqun

I agree with you, Vidqun. But I was concerned about two things: JWs claim to be the one true religion, and the textual passages chosen are constitutive of their theology.

The translations you cite that resemble the NWT do not explicitly seek to do so.

JWs do not think in alternatives. They don't give a chance to the fact that e.g. Ma 27:53 can have a fairly simple interpretation that fits the text: that there was a resurrection of some of the dead. And why don't they allow for alternatives? Because they are the only and true...

This system then manifests itself in all areas of their theology. They do not falsify the meaning of the Greek words (see the original question in the discussion), but project their theological interpretations onto the Greek text. No alternative.

But this phenomenon is common in other denominations as well. Adventists with their Sabbath, Catholics with their celibacy, or Pentecostals with their faith healing... they all "overload" the text in their favor...

Not to be critical of others. How about me? ๐Ÿ™ˆ๐Ÿ˜ Am I not doing the same? I may have an opinion on the identity of Babylon the Great (no, it's not the UN or any country or institution past or future in my opinion), but from time to time I have my doubts, sometimes literally dread lest I end up like Russell ๐Ÿ˜ Okay, okay,

my views don't have nearly the reach that Russell's had. My verbal ๐Ÿ˜ "Watchtower" that I occasionally put out, well that's just for my wife for now. And from her, it is always very quickly censored, abridged and rewritten... Because of warm dinners and laundered clothes, the potential for conflict on my part is almost nil. Discussion here, is one of the allowed activities ๐Ÿ™ˆ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

• aqwsed12345
  • aqwsed12345
  • aqwsed12345

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit