Can witnesses now vote???

by shamus 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LDH
    LDH

You said a mouthful there, Gary.

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

Questions for Jehovah's Witnesses about Voting in Political Elections:

1: Is Voting in Political Elections "up to my conscience"? The 11/01/99 Watchtower says that it is.

2: If I were to Vote, because the Government makes it mandatory to Vote, would I be Disfellowshipped, Disassociated, or Reproved in any way?

3: Is Voting in Political Elections against Jehovah God's Laws or not? If so, which Laws?

4: Previous Watchtower Articles said that if you Vote, you are breaking God's Laws, and you would be Disassociated or Disfellowshipped, and if you are Anointed, you would lose out on being able to go to Heaven. Is all of this true? The 11/01/99 Watchtower did not mention any of that.

5: If the Government makes it mandatory to purchase a Political Card, is that "up to my conscience"? What about in a Country with only one Political Party? If I were to purchase a Political Card, would I be Disfellowshipped, Disassociated, or Reproved in any way? If I were to purchase a Political Party Card, would I be breaking God's Laws? If so, which Laws?

6: If someone I Vote for is Elected, would I share "Bloodguilt" for any sins that the person does after he is Elected? If so, how come I do not share "Bloodguilt" for what the Government does with the Tax Money that I pay to the Government? How much "Bloodguilt" would I incur before Jehovah?

Quotes from The Watchtower, November 1, 1999 Issue, Pages 28-29, which say that Voting is now "up to your conscience":

Questions From Readers

How do Jehovah’s Witnesses view voting?

There are clear principles set out in the Bible that enable servants of God to take a proper view of this matter. However, there appears to be no principle against the practice of voting itself. For example, there is no reason why a board of directors should not take a vote in order to arrive at decisions affecting their corporation. Congregations of Jehovah’s Witnesses often make decisions about meeting times and the use of congregation funds by voting with a show of hands.

What, though, of voting in political elections? Of course, in some democratic lands, as many as 50 percent of the population do not turn out to vote on election day. As for Jehovah’s Witnesses, they do not interfere with the right of others to vote; neither do they in any way campaign against political elections. They respect and cooperate with the authorities who are duly elected in such elections. (Romans 13:1-7) As to whether they will personally vote for someone running in an election, each one of Jehovah’s Witnesses makes a decision based on his Bible-trained conscience and an understanding of his responsibility to God and to the State. (Matthew 22:21; 1 Peter 3:16)

[...]

...those who have a part in voting a person into office may become responsible for what he does. (Compare 1 Timothy 5:22, The New English Bible.) Christians have to consider carefully whether they want to shoulder that responsibility.

[...]

...in many lands Jehovah’s Witnesses make a personal decision not to vote in political elections, and their freedom to make that decision is supported by the law of the land. What, though, if the law requires citizens to vote? In such a case, each Witness is responsible to make a conscientious, Bible-based decision about how to handle the situation. If someone decides to go to the polling booth, that is his decision. What he does in the polling booth is between him and his Creator.

The November 15, 1950, issue of The Watchtower, on pages 445 and 446, said: "Where Caesar makes it compulsory for citizens to vote . . . [Witnesses] can go to the polls and enter the voting booths. It is here that they are called upon to mark the ballot or write in what they stand for. The voters do what they will with their ballots. So here in the presence of God is where his witnesses must act in harmony with his commandments and in accordance with their faith. It is not our responsibility to instruct them what to do with the ballot."

What if a Christian woman’s unbelieving husband insists that she present herself to vote? Well, she is subject to her husband, just as Christians are subject to the superior authorities. (Ephesians 5:22; 1 Peter 2:13-17) If she obeys her husband and goes to the polling booth, that is her personal decision. No one should criticize her.-Compare Romans 14:4.

What of a country where voting is not mandated by law but feelings run high against those who do not go to the voting booth-perhaps they are exposed to physical danger? Or what if individuals, while not legally obliged to vote, are severely penalized in some way if they do not go to the polling booth? In these and similar situations, a Christian has to make his own decision. "Each one will carry his own load."-Galatians 6:5.

There may be people who are stumbled when they observe that during an election in their country, some Witnesses of Jehovah go to the polling booth and others do not. They may say, ‘Jehovah’s Witnesses are not consistent.’ People should recognize, though, that in matters of individual conscience such as this, each Christian has to make his own decision before Jehovah God.-Romans 14:12.

Whatever personal decisions Jehovah’s Witnesses make in the face of different situations, they take care to preserve their Christian neutrality and freeness of speech. In all things, they rely on Jehovah God to strengthen them, give them wisdom, and help them avoid compromising their faith in any way. Thus they show confidence in the words of the psalmist: "You are my crag and my stronghold; and for the sake of your name you will lead me and conduct me."-Psalm 31:3.

• fairy
    fairy

Don't forget that if ever they do change any of their "rules", its because they have come to a bette understanding.............YEAH RIGHT!

• DJ
    DJ

Ya know, I think that the hardest part of that whole voting thing for me was....when I told my mom that I was going to vote in the last election (a first for me).....she asked me who I was planning on choosing. When I told her, she badmouthed the candidate so, I asked her why it mattered to her since she isn't allowed to vote...? She responded with....."We most certainly can vote, we a free to do as we please!" I said, "Ma, come on...all of my life we were told not to vote..." She, in typical my jw mom fashion....declared me to be "mistaken." She does this all of the time, help>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>!!!!! dj

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

Oh No, not another new light?????

In reality, I see this as just like something that happened to a friend of mine recently. He came to work, and parked in a valid, unrestricted parking place. Sometime between when he parked his vehicle and noon, when he went out to lunch, the Sheriff's department had installed a "Sheriff's Vehicle Only" sign at that spot, AND ticketed him for parking in a restricted area.

This went through our work place like wild-fire. I mean, how could they do something like that? And, in good conscience? Needless to say, my friend forced the issue and they tore up the ticket.

Why does this remind me of the WTS??? The only difference is, the WTS doesn't tear up the ticket, do they?

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

I was still an elder when this Information came out in 1999. I asked the body what we would do if witnesses started voting. The answer from the PO , after a spirted debate was: "We would look at the person as very weak and not a good example to the flock. We would not allow any extra privileges for that person." The Body agreed.

By then I was well on my way out, I had just finished Ray Franz’ COC, and was very sensitive to the double standards at that time. Another example of the written law and the unwritten law at work.

• truthseeker1
    truthseeker1

As with anything, a Witness can do what ever they want. Can they stay a witness after they do such things, thats up to the Elder Body to decide.

• gcc2k
    gcc2k

I will add this to my list of questions. Rather than being DFd or DAd, I think the scenario that ThiChi outlined would be the most accurate.

Of course, I don't think any of the JWs will go out campaigning or appearing on exit polls, so unless the elders were there to witness the act, it wouldn't matter much.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit