Colorado Rock Climber Amputates Own Arm

by Hmmm 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Valis
    Valis

You will notice that this guy climed a whole lot and many times it is a matter of concentration and conditioning that leads the climber to go it alone. As far as cell phones are concerned, most serious climbers know that cell phones don't work in the deep woods or high mountains...it also leads many novices to have a false sense of security..thinking they can do whatever they want and then just call a park ranger if they get into trouble..huge mistake. last summer when we went to Big bend Natl Park,(potentially dangerous place to get stranded in) we had to check in and out w/the ranger station, giving them details of our whereabouts and camping locales.....just like he did...when you don't check in the rangers take it very seriously and come looking for you in force..Climbing or riding motorcycles or doing anything you like can be risky and as dubla mentioned sometimes the unforseen does happen...as well, I would much rather die doing something I loved than never doing it at all...very unfortunate for this climber, but I bet it won't stop him from getting back up the rock...I guess the old addage applies...*buy your ticket and take your ride"...

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

I saw a similiar story on TV only this man amputated his leg. He took a tree down and it pinned him. Nothing else to do but to amputate it.. It should give us cause to think twice about engaging in such activity alone.

Guest 77

• dubla
    dubla

valis-

i shouldve put a smiley face next to that cell phone comment....it was meant as a joke. theres no way a cell phone would work in most of those locations...hell, ive got friends whos cell phones dont work in town!

aa

• dubla
  • SixofNine
    SixofNine
    Nothing else to do but to amputate it.. It should give us cause to think twice about engaging in such activity alone.

...or with a buddy who's been coveting your wristwatch or boots, for that matter!

• Jourles
    Jourles

Once being an avid climber myself(marriage killed that), it would suck to be put in that position. I always had a partner or a group to go out with. My ability level was never to the point where I could trust myself to hike into a remote area and run an ascent on my own. Guys that I knew who could were like this guy in the article. If I were in his situation, I probably would have done the same. I would gladly sacrifice my arm for the rest of my body. Rock climbers, as some people stereotype, are not suicidal. There are not very many other sports that pit your body's raw strength against mother nature. It is a great feeling. The ones that take on something like Half Dome in Yosemite are the truly amazing athletes. And they could care less about getting paid to do it.

• Valis
    Valis

hey six...why don't you bring a couple of your really good cameras with you and well um...go rock climbing...yeah...that's it...I'll have great cameras..um I mean well have a great time...eheh..

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• rocketman
    rocketman

ouch.

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

sixofnine, I gave advice to a golf club manager before, never have your employees work alone with a chain saw. After some years, he told me about one of his employess injuring himself with a chain saw while working ALONE on the course, and luckily for him, two golfers saw the injured employee and came to his aid.

Guest 77

• freedom96
    freedom96

With all the electronic stuff out there these days, it is a wonder that anyone finds themselves in a situation like this. Cell phones, GPS systems, etc.

We will hear less and less about things like this, for it will be common place to have these devices.

But as mentioned earlier, not too bright to have gone out by himself.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit