Millionaire JW Elder hypocrite?!

by Alostpuppydog 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Alostpuppydog
    Alostpuppydog

So I know one should remove his own stick from his own eye before ones self judges another, but I noticed something. It seems that the wealthy Witnesses are the elders, the circuit overseers, the governing body... Are they really different from any other 'worldly' religions or even organizations? I mean look at the jewels the friggen pope wears. And the GB, they get first class dining day in and day out and barely pay those that do their laundry and are awstricken just by having seen them. Kinda reminds me of a place called North Korea...

But getting back on track here. I know an elder at the congregation I used to attend, before getting banned and never having been a witness myself but having studied a lot, I find the following very odd about him. He has a house worth at least a million dollars, majorly expensive vehicles, his kids get the best 'worldly' education (isn't that frowned upon???!?!?) and drive around in nothing less than the best. Now if I remember correctly Matthew the tax collecter gave everything he had to the congregation and stopped living a luxurious life. John the Baptist, the most righteous imperfect man to have ever exhisted ate honey and berries and lived in the wilderness hated by the wealthy Pharisees. Then there is Jesus, God's only begotten son who never even owned his own house and slept outside and had next to nothing extravagant but the basics to live on during his preaching. And we are supposed to follow these God-like mortals that have literally no extra contact with the Ancient of days? I mean sure there was King David, Joseph, and Moses who lived in wealth for a time. But they all lived under the Law of their time, before Jesus came, and it was a totally different time period. I guess all I am saying is 1John 2:15, James 2:5, Matthew 6:24, 1John 3:17...must I really go on.

If anyone has anything to add or to say feel free to comment but beware! I will read your comment. c:

• fulano
    fulano

So your point is are they different? No, although you can't compare the lifestyle from the GB with the pope. There are a lot of ignorant comments on this site about the GB members. The thing is, power changes people.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Nothing wrong with having money or spending it. He might well be what's keeping your local congregation afloat and you know any excess is sent to the org. I don't account to others how I spend, do you? If he's an irresponsible or greedy person, cheating folks, then he's got issues. If he's forbidding others education or counseling against any material trappings, then he could be a hypocrite. That the WT seems to elevate rich men to positions, might definitely show a class system in the org beyond heavenly/earthly expectations.

How many Christians live in communes?

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

Highlighting the blatant doctrinal falsehoods of the org will be far more effective in awakening J.W.'s to the truth, whereas pointing the finger at "prominent" J.W.'s lifestyles - or even J.W. paedophiles - will be met with, "Well, every religion has bad in it; even the 12 apostles included Judas."

If people focus on the head of the snake - the organization's dogmas & practices - that will be more beneficial. IMO.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

In my experience much of the negative comments about those with wealth in the organisation are driven by jealousy. This applies to comments coming from both inside and outside of the organisation.

The WTS has never condemned wealth in itself or required a life of privation. Of course they are down on education, materialism and the pursuit of success in business or even a vocation but this is in the context of this being at the expense of spending time in WTS activities. If one can balance these together then the WTS loves them - we all know the prominent elders with wealth.

I have a relative who falls into this category and he has repeatedly entertained CO/DOs on his yacht, taken them flying, had them to stay at his high end property and indulged them in many other ways. Is he a hypocrite? Not overly. He spends most of his time, as it's pretty much spare, in WTS related activities. One of his kids has been in Bethel service for years and another has been a pioneer for years as well. He has his bad points but no one is perfect.

There are those who have skeletons in the closet, those who get passes on their kids' bad behaviour due to their position, those who upset others in business and so on. I have to say however I think this applies to many, it's not just rich elders who get to play the system - there are plenty of less wealthy elders who lord it over others and get to sweep things under the carpet.

As I say, I think many comments are simply down to the little green monster.

• stillin
    stillin

I hold no grudges against the wealthy among the Witnesses. Good for them. Some of them have the best friends that money can buy. But I wouldn't judge them all by their wealth. Some are good, solid, genuine people, as Witnesses go...

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

"In my experience much of the negative comments about those with wealth in the organisation are driven by jealousy"

I don't speak of these ones I have observed out of jealousy but out of hypocrisy. I don't know if any of you remember a few years back at an assembly there was a very strong talk given titled, keep your eye simple. This was directed to those who pursue materialism (aka the more prominent brothers). There is also talks given bashing higher education. My point is, we have been advised by others (including the wealthy) that we have a lack of faith if we decide to put our children in college YET these "more prominent brothers" are ok to not keep that "simple eye." For me it is a matter of "what's good for the goose is good for the gander." It's a matter of blatant hypocrisy rather than jealousy. Hypocrisy is one of the main reasons my entire immediate family is OUT.

• Scully
    Scully

A few thoughts:

There are different sources of power - there is power that is given to people based on a claim of authority, as in the case of the GB; there is power that is bestowed upon an individual based on notoriety or popularity (like Trump); there is power that comes from one's own merit - being authoritative, being generous, being fair, etc.; and there is power that arises out of what one has: money, prestige, celebrity.

Money can get you out of a lot of scrapes and money can allow you "privileges" that those on a lesser playing field will not get. It can make the beneficiaries of their generosity look the other way when they do things that other people do not get away with.

Jesus did say that it would be like a camel passing through the eye of a needle for a rich man to enter the Kingdom. Some people think that he wasn't talking about a literal sewing needle, but a restrictive gateway that - in order for a camel to pass through - required the camel to be unburdened and to crouch down and bow its head... a position that from a human perspective indicated humility (getting down on your hands and knees with head facing downward). In that respect, if a wealthy person showed humility when dealing with others who are not so well off (not bragging about his possessions or his ability to school his kids at Harvard or Yale, or showing favouritism toward those whose positions allow them to grant him privileges or leeway, or making a show of their generosity for the attention it provides him) then I wouldn't have a problem with it.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

So are you saying is it hypocritical for a Witness to be wealthy?

The whole "keeping your eye simple" thing is actually about what you as a Witness are seen to be doing. This is especially true if you are male and could be used within the congregation.

So... if you are educated, wealthy, run a business, live in a big house or whatever then it's all about how much you ministry you do, how your "spirituality" is perceived, what you do to be a proactive and reliable appointed man, how your wife and kids are perceived (note that perception and reality often differ), how useful you and/or business is to WTS goals, how well your face fits with the BoE, how wealthy the area and congregation you are in is and so on. The more boxes you tick the less attention is paid to your wealth.

On the other hand, if you are wealthy and couldn't care less about the meetings, ministry and so on then immediately it is your wealth that becomes equated with materialism and used as a stick to beat your perceived lack of spirituality with.

I agree that it's not uncommon for those with less wealth to look at those with it and find fault. Sometimes it's well deserved, other times I think it is simple jealousy. A so called "simple eye" and lack of materialism are not limited to those without wealth, it crosses all segments of society. Hypocrisy amongst prominent elders is also not restricted to the more wealthy ones.

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

I don't care if someone has money...more power to them. I just don't like someone coming and telling me what is best for me and my family when they themselves may not be following things (JW rules and regulations) to a tee. I have wealthy "worldly" friends. They are kind, loving, generous and most importantly....non judgmental. They actually like us for who we are.

So... if you are educated, wealthy, run a business, live in a big house or whatever then it's all about how much you ministry you do, how your "spirituality" is perceived, what you do to be a proactive and reliable appointed man, how your wife and kids are perceived (note that perception and reality often differ), how useful you and/or business is to WTS goals, how well your face fits with the BoE, how wealthy the area and congregation you are in is and so on. The more boxes you tick the less attention is paid to your wealth."

Yes...you are correct on this one. It is all about appearances. "Spirituality" equals JW tasks. That is how you are accepted in this cult.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit