Immidiate regret. Third rule broken, namely: passion rules reason

by Judgerussellford 11 Replies latest social current

• Judgerussellford
    Judgerussellford

I chose world events as a topic because it was the only one that seemed fitting enough. I left work early (if you can call 445-3 early) so I could get some shopping done, fill up, grab a scratcher for the wife and be on my way home. After I filled the tank I strolled into the tiny room of the gas station, to find myself behind an argument just started. I guess the Murphys gas station has had a new policy for a while about the amount of coins they can take at once. What I should have done was fill the mans tank for him, to soften his face and help out yet another person suffering from this damn world, but instead this happened

Clerk: I do have to tell you that our policy has changed and we can only accept 1 roll of coins at a time

Man: I wanna see that policy! This is American currency you have to take it!

Clerk: ill do you one better ill get you my manager

Man:I don't want the manager, show me the policy!! I'm 57 years old!!! Paying with really American currency!!

me: a lot of policies have changed in 57 years

Man: she's done this to me before just because she didn't want to count my quarters!

Me: are you an idiot or are you just stupid? Its not her fault that her company makes rules she has to follow.

Man: you shut your mouth!

Me: if you've done this once before, then you knew it was going to happen again, why didn't you prepare better and...(got cut off, was gonna say go to a bank and exchange it for bills)

Man: I did prepare!!

Me: obviously not

Man: I'm on disability

Me: I don't care if you're a disabled asshole or a regular asshole you just need to calm down

Man:I AM CALM!!!!

he then payed what she would take and walked out then the clerk broke down and cried for about 5 minutes. Anyway this incident has bothered me since yesterday when it happened. I realized after coming home I should have taken his quarters, and payed his gas with my card even if he was a jerk. Maybe it would have changed something in him. If I ever see him again ill apologize if he remembers or not. When passion rules your reason, it changes for the worse sometimes

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

This is a great post.

I once heard someone say: "No good decision was ever made by emotions."

Emotion is a defense mechanism of the brain. It is part of our fight or flight response. It is not based in reason and logic.

Take a moment. Take a breath. Be compassionate and wise.

• Judgerussellford
    Judgerussellford

I've never heard that emotion is a defense mechanism linked for flight or fight. Thats incredible to me. Makes sense though. Any emotion, fear anger sadness worry &ct, is always immediate. Almost like a blitzkrieg in our own minds against even ourselves. I'm a supervisor in a warehouse, and I often find it hard, even though I have to to calmly diffuse situations, even when I want to start yelling at people and writing them up or sending them home, and its hard, but reigning in my emotions has kept people thier jobs and createded good relations at work,, even with the most difficult ones. you're right, emotions are our primeval defense, but we can't just be getting defensive all the time. Theres rarely any wisdom or compassion in immediate response. Thanks truth :)

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

The Latin root for emotion means "to cause to take action".

All sensory input to your brain first goes through the amygdala which is the center of emotional memory. This is also the fight or flight center of the brain. This is why it is important to pause and clear our minds before taking action when able.

A regular meditation practice has been found to shrink the amygdala and grow the frontal cortex (logic and reason center).

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

wow--youre in America--and you called a total stranger an assole ! Where did the bullet enter your corpse ?

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

I don’t live in the U.S. But in the 4 times I have visited there. I have found them to be very rude, aggressive, and not prepared to put up with someone else. Despite how big or small the event may be. I heard this joke the other day: “how many Americans does it take to change a light bulb. None! Because the world revolves around them.” I certainly think there could be some truth in that statement.

So does all this self entitlement, aggression, and fighting over quarters, make them a more happier cohesive society.

nationwide, almost one in five people (47.1 million) in the U.S. are living with a mental health condition. That number increased by about 1.5 million over last year's report. About 10% of youth in the U.S have severe depression. This was highest among youth who identify as more than one race, at 12%.

https://mhanational.org/issues/mental-health-america-printed-reports

Its sobering to think about.

• enoughisenough
    enoughisenough

Pro 26:17 Like someone grabbing hold of a dogs ears is the one passing by who becomes furious about a quarrel that is not his.

• careful
    careful

JRF,

thanks for the post and experience. We've all lost our cool and regretted it, so we can relate. Yes, your later thought of proposed kindness may well have changed the guy's attitude.

Joel134cd:

I don’t live in the U.S. But in the 4 times I have visited there. I have found them to be very rude, aggressive, and not prepared to put up with someone else. Despite how big or small the event may be. I heard this joke the other day: “how many Americans does it take to change a light bulb. None! Because the world revolves around them.”

I live in the USA and that is hilarious because it is so true! LOL!

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

nationwide, almost one in five people (47.1 million) in the U.S. are living with a mental health condition.

The number of Democratic voters in the U.S. is reported to be around 49 million. Coincidence? I think not!

• Freemail
    Freemail

There’s only one asshole in this story and it isn’t the 57 year old disabled bloke.

You’re a prick.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit