Do you work a lot of overtime?

by hoser 16 Replies latest jw friends

• hoser
    hoser

@heaven

companies that require unpaid overtime from their employees are just thieves. Sucking up the lives of their employees.

What I do is sometimes intense and requires lots of ot in our busy season but I am paid for it. I am on an hourly wage not a salary. It is regular pay for 40 hours per week and 1 1/2 times regular pay for anything above that.

• redpilltwice
    redpilltwice

No, I hate it! Need time for social media

• Giordano
    Giordano

I'm retired...now I don't do anything and I don't start doing that till noon.

Edited to add: From age 50 to 60 I worked 70 hour weeks as an artist. I created my art work and then marketed it all over the country. I was not particularly successful until I reached age 50. So my wife and I discussed our new level of success and decided to ride it for all it was worth.

By age 60 we were burnt out and I decided to retire....... my wife dropped back to a normal work week and now works half a day. She continues to make art every day.

We both do volunteer work in our small city. You meet the best people that way which is an added plus.

• kaik
    kaik

I did a lot of consulting and advisory work, so there was work for the client, but also for the company. While I do not mind working a lot of hours, especially on project I do enjoy, there is a clean line between necessary overtime and getting abused by the management. My previous job was like that and we had terrible attrition rate. I had on the same project three managers in the span of 20 months. I got calls as early as 7am on Saturday demanding to set up account that can be done as the first thing on Monday to doing database backed up between midnight and 3am to be in the office the next morning by 9am.

• Heaven
    Heaven

I agree hoser, but this not paying overtime to salaried employees is a widespread North American corporate model at the moment. So far I've been allowed to bank the hours and take them off in lieu of getting paid. But they raise their eyebrows when I tell them how much time that is. I'd really like to have the choice of getting paid or taking the time. But it's all about managing expenses now. Luckily, I don't have a smartphone for work... yet. They eliminated the pagers as these were costing money (Yay!).

When they call me at home, I don't answer (this is one reason I continue to have a land line). Of course, I am rarely home during my off time anyways so that's kind of a no-brainer. I was up front with my last manager and former team lead. I told them straight... if you want me off hours, you pay me to carry a pager, otherwise, I'm unavailable and you will not get me.

• hoser
    hoser

When they call me at home, I don't answer (this is one reason I continue to have a land line). Of course, I am rarely home during my off time anyways so that's kind of a no-brainer. I was up front with my last manager and former team lead. I told them straight... if you want me off hours, you pay me to carry a pager, otherwise, I'm unavailable and you will not get me.

Good strategy. If they have you on call they should give you some kind of remuneration.

• Heaven
    Heaven

So far I've been allowed to bank the hours and take them off in lieu of getting paid.

Here's another little tidbit that I didn't mention. We used to bank our hours in a company tool/application. NOW we just track these hours personally/privately. That way, the government doesn't know how many hours are being worked as overtime.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit