Contradictions!

by Freedom rocks 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Freedom rocks
    Freedom rocks

Quite regularly at meetings jws mocked worldly people and apostates(anyone who had left the "truth") for saying the bible contradicts itself when it is in complete harmony from beginning to end apparently.

Can anyone point out some of the contradictions they know of?

They used to laugh at the fact people on the doors would say the bible contradicts itself and when they asked the householder to show them where, they couldn't.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Use the search option at the top right hand corner of the page and type in"Contradictions of the Bible "and you will get heaps.

• venus
    venus

When many persons write contradictions can happen. But here is one which is contradiction in itself like we say ‘square circle’ or ‘married husbands.’ Verse is found in the gospel of John: "No one has ever gone into heaven except the one who came from heaven—the Son of Man.”—John 3:13

It means only Jesus who descended from heaven has gone into heaven, no one else has gone into heaven! Jesus ascended into heaven at the end of his ministry, after his death. Hence how could he say he has ascended into heaven at the start of his ministry?

Answer is simple. Teaching of ransom sacrifice is a later adoption, hence the Writer was creating a scene with Jesus having conversation with Nicodemus to introduce the subject of ransom—something Jesus (Mathew 21:37) nor Father had never even thought of. (Jeremiah 7:31)

• venus
    venus

Please read: "‘square circle’ or ‘unmarried husbands"

• venus
    venus

Another glaring contradiction is about faith and works. Throughout the Bible, prophets and Jesus, and even His half brother declare: 'humans are justified by WORKS.' (Habakkuk 2:4; Mathew 25:31-46; James 2:24)

But Paul comes in between and presents his theory of justification by FAITH, not through any verse, but through letters after letters as though his mission was to discredit Jesus.

• JaniceA
    JaniceA

Paul’s ministry almost seems like an insult to Jesus teachings if we are simply reading the Bible for the storyline, leaving our feelings about the veracity of the entirety of it. It seems like Paul was anti christ. Talked him up while going against his teachings. Two faced. Then he changed it to be a Roman religion. I think he was a very conflicted man and I question his intentions from the get go. But that’s just me.

• venus
    venus
    JaniceA

If Paul was working under present GB, they would have treated him like an apostate and stopped all types contacts and greetings.

• dozy
    dozy

JWs don't generally know of any real contradictions - just the silly ones ( in a strawman fashion ) the Society mention , such as "Where did Cain get his wife?" or one account where one gospel mentions Jesus leaving Jericho and the other mentions him entering Jericho - the explanation being that there was an old and new city and he was walking between them. Or something like that....

A good read is the Atheist Book of Bible Stories ( free download here https://app.box.com/s/uclytd91jd )

It is written by an ex-JW from a witness standpoint and points out some of the more obvious contradictions and errors - some were new to me. It is quite amusing doing "research" in the Societies publications where they attempt to explain some of them , often in the most bizarre fashion ( many they wisely just ignore and hope nobody notices. )

• Freedom rocks
    Freedom rocks

Thanks smiddy3 and dozy. Will look them up

• Freedom rocks
    Freedom rocks

Does anyone know if I can get a paperback version of the atheist book of bible stories? I've tried Amazon and eBay.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit