UK Daily Mirror: Girl who was abused by dad for 5 years asked JWs for help - but got molested by church elder too

by darkspilver 8 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

This is from the website of The Daily Mirror - a British 'mass-market' red-top tabloid

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daily_Mirror

In the words of Simon: "Peers Morgan was editor of the Mirror and forced to resign after they published faked photos alleging that British soldiers were abusing Iraqi's (around the time of Ahu Ghraib). That's why he's in the US so much - he's hated at home. It doesn't mean every story is false, but they are definitely at the lower end of the market, trash for the masses."

It's a 1,200 word article and looks like it might be printed in sunday edition: The Sunday Mirror 7 May 2017 - BUT this will need to be confirmed by any UK-based forum members tomorrow.....

The Mirror, 6 May 2017

Girl who was abused by dad for five years asked Jehovah's Witnesses for help - but got molested by church elder too

Angie Rodgers, who has turned her back on the church, says she hopes that by telling her story she can help other victims

Terrified child Angie Rodgers cowered under her duvet and prayed she would be spared.

For five years, from the age of 11, she would suffer at the hands of her perverted father.

Angie felt powerless as God-fearing Jehovah’s Witness Ian Cousins abused her on an almost weekly basis, even when they were at a church convention.

She did finally pluck up the courage to tell church elders – only to be abused by one of them as well.

Harry Holt molested her as they watched Braveheart together. He went on to abuse seven other girls.

Angie says today: “I turned to the Church for help and I was abused a second time.

“I was a child and they should have helped, but they turned on me. They make me feel sick. I don’t think I’ll ever get over what happened. I’ve just learned to live with it.

“I have nightmares and flashbacks all the time and been diagnosed with post traumatic stress.”

Angie’s dad was locked up for five years in 2002. But justice only caught up with Holt last year when he was jailed for assaults on eight children dating back four decades.

READ MORE: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/real-life-stories/girl-who-abused-dad-five-10367995

Related: https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/6197942406873088/harry-holt-jw-elder-sexually-assaulted-8-girls-over-4-decades

Is it related to the BBC TV Panorama documentary: "Suffer the Little Children" (14 July 2002)?

BBC Transcript: http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/static/audio_video/programmes/panorama/transcripts/transcript_14_07_02.txt

• GoneAwol
    GoneAwol

Hi Darkspilver, yes this article is indeed true. Knew the Cousin and Holt clan very well when a teenager.

I find the quote from Angie about Lot's daughters quite unnerving. Shows how the bible can mess with a kids head. I hope she can have a great life from now on.

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

I understand that, in the UK, the Daily Mirror / Sunday Mirror newspapers are printed for England and Wales - and the same newspapers are printed for Scotland as The Daily Record / Sunday Mail - in edited/re-written versions to focus on Scottish news/stories etc.

Therefore below is the re-written and longer 1,600 word version of the article from the Scottish Daily Record's website, than the 1,200 word article that appears above on the Daily Mirror website

The Daily Record, 6 May 2017

Scottish girl abused by Jehovah's Witness dad asked church for help - but was molested by trusted elder too

Mum-of-four Angie Rodgers waived her right to anonymity in a bid to help other sufferers of child sex abuse after being abused by her father for five years.

Cowering under her duvet at night, 11-year-old Angie prayed that God would keep her safe.

Sadly for the terrified youngster, the church she trusted were on the side of the very man who haunted her nightmares – her abusive father.

And shockingly, when she plucked up the courage to tell elders at the Jehovah’s Witness church what had happened, one of them went on to abuse her as well.

Now a mum of four, 36-year-old Angie Rodgers said: “I turned to the church for help and I was abused a second time. I was a child and they should have helped but instead they turned on me.

“They make me feel sick. I don’t think I’ll ever truly get over what happened to me. I’ve just learned to live with it.

“I have nightmares and flashbacks all the time and I’ve been diagnosed with post-traumatic stress.”

Elder Harry Holt went on to abuse more children – despite the church allegedly knowing about what he had done to Angie.

Her dad Ian Cousins was jailed for five years in 2002 for abusing her.

But justice only caught up with evil Holt last year, when he was caged for attacks on eight children dating back four decades.

READ MORE: http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/girl-abused-jehovahs-witness-dad-10370979

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

As expected - the article is featured in the PRINT edition of The Sunday Mirror 7 May 2017

Double page feature across pages 26 and 27.....

• Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower

Boy Satan's Media is really putting the screws to Jehovah's earthly organization.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzb0RWm_8js

• truthseekeriam
    truthseekeriam

What a very brace woman!! I truly hopes she finds peace by speaking out and openly sharing her truth.

• kpop
    kpop

This is the problem with many tabloids today. There are three types of tabloid articles: 1. Those that usually interject some truth into a stupendous article written for attention. 2. Those that are 100% pure BS. 3 Actual true stories that are true and the mainstream media won't cover. Reader beware but certainly don't discount everything. With that said, knowing the inside operations of the JW cult, this article is probably 100%.

• Landy
    Landy
    With that said, knowing the inside operations of the JW cult, this article is probably 100%.

The article may well be true but that statement is absolutely typical of the confirmation bias that goes on here

• AFRIKANMAN
    AFRIKANMAN

She is a personal friend - This is what happened to her !

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit