What are some things JWs re-name to make themselves different than Christians?

by NikL 33 Replies latest jw friends

• NikL
    NikL

JWs re-name things so they seem like they are different than other religions. (Of course we know they are different but that's another story)

I was just thinking about those things where they are LIKE most everyone else in Christendom but the re-name it to seem different.

For example God forbid they have a church, it's a "kingdom Hall".

They don't have pastors and deacons they have "elders" and "ministerial servants".

They don't have tithing but they will have family heads fill out a paper saying how much they can contribute on a monthly basis (not sure if there is a name for that...unless it's tithing. LOL

They don't have sermons they have "talks".

They don't have a pope who is appointed to represent Jesus interests on Earth but they have a group that fills that role called the "governing body"

Are they a religion? For years back in the day I recall they said they weren't a religion

Any others?

• blondie
    blondie

Nikl, that was pre-1950 when they weren't a religion, all religion was false. But that was such a hard concept for jws to understand let alone non-jws.

*** w51 3/15 p. 191 Questions from Readers

In the past we regarded "religion" as anything that was against God’s will. Now many brothers are using the expressions "true religion" and "false religion" to make a distinction. Is this advisable?—D. D., California.

The brothers are correct in using the qualifying adjectives "true" and "false" respecting religion, so as not to be misunderstood, especially by those outside the organization. In the past we have had to do so much needless explanation and extricating of ourselves from embarrassing positions by not being specific on this

This is a site (a little old) of jw vocabulary. A reminder or a list to pick from.

http://www.jehovah.to/glos/=A.html

• NikL
    NikL

I guess the congregation I went to in the 70s hadn't got the memo LOL

• blondie
    blondie

That's true of many jws....it takes long to make a change, that's why so many today can't grasp the flood of new light.

Some older jws still believe in 7,000 year creative days

Some even believe that microwaves are dangerous (Golden Age I think)

My older aunts still believed that Jesus mediates their prayers (they aren't anointed)

And there are some that still believe that vaccinations are forbidden, that an all grape diet cures cancer

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Of words that J W's do not use because they sound like "Christendom" (yuk!)

Not the New Testament, they have the Greek Scriptures

They do not sing hymns, they have songs

Before it was seen in scientific writings they have always used the initials C.E /B.C.E rather than A.D/ B.C

Of course Jesus did not die on a cross, he hung on a stake....or even sometimes a tree (I have never got that one)

Edit:

Re the Microwave Ovens.. This was Aw 1981 05/22

Following these tips in no way guarantees safety, since at present it is not known if microwave ovens can be judged entirely free of radiation hazards. However, following these suggestions should help to minimize exposure levels and serious accidents.
    When it comes to microwave ovens, you must use them at your own risk.

• baker
    baker

They avoid Crucify and incorrectly use Impale or "to the stake with you" ...how stupid is that.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Bulletin Board: Information Board

Pot Luck (casual buffet dinner): Pot Blessing

I have to say that I'm grateful JWs don't say "Bless you" when someone sneezes. I sneeze a lot, and some nonJW friends say "Bless you" after my every sneeze. Maybe that does matter since my sneezes bring down the rafters.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

rapture

• Late Bloomer
    Late Bloomer

Jesus died on a torture stake not a cross.

Jonah was swallowed by a big fish not a whale.

Adam and Eve ate the fruit not an apple.

JWs observe the memorial not celebrate Easter (yet both occur coincidentally close to each other and concern Jesus' death/resurrection, hmm...)

We were always careful to say John the Baptizer instead of John the Baptist. Baptist for some reason was a taboo word.

Along with the ones NikL mentioned, it all just seemed so nit-picky to me growing up. Church or kingdom hall...who cares? The kids I went to school with also knew about Moses, Noah, the Garden of Eden and believed in Jesus just like I did. How was that possible if we were the only ones with the "truth"? The more JWs brought up how different we were, the more similarities I saw. I could never buy into "all roads lead to one god" so I finally concluded they were all wrong.

• baker
    baker

"He was lucky to get that job" ..."He was fortunate to get that job"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit