Why did Jehovah want to kill Moses?

by Doug Mason 14 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

On the way, at a place where they spent the night, the LORD met him and tried to kill him. But Zipporah took a flint and cut off her son's foreskin, and touched Moses' feet with it, and said, "Truly you are a bridegroom of blood to me!" So he let him alone. It was then she said, "A bridegroom of blood by circumcision." (Exodus 4:24-26, NRSV)

At a lodging place on the way, the Lord met Moses and was about to kill him. But Zipporah took a flint knife, cut off her son’s foreskin and touched Moses’ feet with it. “Surely you are a bridegroom of blood to me,” she said. So the Lord let him alone. (At that time she said “bridegroom of blood,” referring to circumcision.) (NIV)

As Moses and his family were traveling along and had stopped for the night, Jehovah appeared to Moses and threatened to kill him. Then Zipporah his wife took a flint knife and cut off the foreskin of her young son’s penis, and threw it against Moses’ feet, remarking disgustedly, “What a blood-smeared husband you’ve turned out to be!”

Then God left him alone. (TLB)

• sowhatnow
    sowhatnow
    lol, well, Im sure there's a lot missing in that story..... there has to be! [I wonder, has that been passed over in the weekly bible reading, lol ]
  • DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

OMG! This must be one of those scriptures the WTBTS ignored when I was growing up.

DD

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

It's so weird in the OT, what's the fascination with the foreskin?? Remember David

collected 200 of them.

• Scully
    Scully

It was because Moses broke the Abrahamic covenant - the one that required males to be circumcised on the 8th day of life - by (1) marrying outside the tribes and (2) allowing his wife, Zipporah, to carry on with her family traditions, which did not, apparently, include circumcision of the male children.

PS - I inquired about this scripture to one of the Elders™ when I was 14 or 15. His answer? "Why don't you do some research and tell me what you find." I guess he didn't know how to say "I really don't know."

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    The beat part is how moses wrote about his death (after he died) and said how he (himself) was the meekest man ever. Lol silly bible, go home you're drunk.
  • James Mixon
    James Mixon

The true story: Damn't Moses you have been moping around for days crying

like a baby, my son is not circumcised God is going to kill me. Grow some balls man.

Zipporah threw something in Moses face. Moses jumps and ask , what the hell is this?

Zipporah: it's your son's little foreskin you jerk.

Moses: are you nuts can my son walk, can he wee wee?

Hell woman I will sleep with one eye open for now on, you are one crazy woman,

they told me not to marry your crazy ass.

Don't you think that makes a better read???

• garyneal
  • Lieu
    Lieu

'Cause he was getting on God's last nerve.☺

The first part when he runs from the staff turned snake is hilarious.

I can just imagine it ...'What the???? Bye!' I'm out.

• Daniel1555
    Daniel1555

There are a few bible verses that are too crazy to find normal explanations. They are even too crazy for Watchtower, so they ignore them. That's one of those.

In all the years growing up in JW land, this vers was never discussed.

Because it shows that biblical Jehovah is a psycho.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit