Why did Paul call Jesus, “the firstborn from the dead”?

by Doug Mason 20 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

"Jesus Christ was resurrected on Nisan 16, 33 C.E., the day when the Jewish high priest offered up the firstfruits of the barley harvest. This fits in accurately with Jesus' being the "firstfruits" in the resurrection of the human dead. (1 Cor. 15:20) This put Jesus Christ in the first "rank.”

"Just as in the Jewish barley harvest there were afterfruits to be reaped, so too there must be afterfruits in the resurrection of the dead. But since Jesus Christ ranks first, Paul called him "the firstborn from the dead, that he might become the one who is “first in all things."—Col. 1:18.

"By his sacrificial death Jesus Christ bought back or redeemed all the human family who are dying "in Adam." (The Watchtower, June 15, 1979, page 22)

• waton
    waton

Once you accept the 'from dust to Adam to the rib and the talking snake' scenario, the groundwork is laid to keep on spinning the thread.

Do the scriptures not encourage us to outgrow tales fit for five year olds?

• jhine
    jhine

Not quite sure what your question/ point is Doug .

Jan

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

Because, he was the first to be born again from SIN to immortality. Don't forget that the sins of the whole world (not just Adam as the WT tries to teach) were placed upon Him. He was the scape goat we read about in the OT. Yahweh abandoned him while on the cross. Why? Because Yahweh has no fellowship with SIN.

"He hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him. 2 Cor. 5: 21

Thus, a legal transaction occurred. Believers trade places with Jesus - His perfect, undying body in exchange for our sin-riddled decaying body.

When He died, His soul descended into the lower parts of the Earth. Many people don't believe this, but I believe Jesus went to Sheol and was there for a time so that he could identify fully with the living and the dead. The Psalmist wrote of this in Psalms 16:10 For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.

He led the way for us. He was the perfect scape-goat. He said, I lay it down and I take it back up. He did it willingly and then resurrected himself just like he said he would. And the course of human history was forever changed.

And now, "because He lives, we shall live also", "and shall be like him" incorruptible, permanently connected to the Source of life with no decay. He was born again from a disconnected, diminishing & sin-burdened life to a fully connected vibrant eternal life. That's why he is called that. It was a first.

"By his sacrificial death Jesus Christ bought back or redeemed all the human family who are dying "in Adam." (The Watchtower, June 15, 1979, page 22)

Only true for those who accept (with no strings attached like works or a particular church) his personal substitution of death and punishment on our behalf.

Amazing that Jesus would do this for us!

• jhine
    jhine

Sea Breeze , yes .

Jan

• waton
    waton
    Because, he was the first to be born again from SIN to immortality. Don't forget that the sins of the whole world (not just Adam as the WT tries to teach) were placed upon Him

SB that is new thoughts to me, although it contradicts in a way the text that says, he "died apart form/without sin". [personal sin] ?

If he really inherited all these sins, died a sinner, that undermines my favored request. proof for his standing, namely. to have him outlive his natural life term of 1001+ years before releasing him for sacrifice.

If you really accept such an inheritance, it shows on your accounts so to speak, you pay taxes on it,

If he really died a sinner. he truly was the second Adam. according to the bible stories, some people died twice, might die again, that too should account for some "sins" makes sense?

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

I always understood it in the sense that Paul was developing an argument that Temple sacrifices were no longer needed and were 'replaced' by the sacrifice of Jesus. In the Jewish temple (and non-Jewish religions too), they presented sacrifices of their agricultural produce (either animal or grain, etc), which in practical terms was their way of propagating the priestly class. But with Paul's vision of the Jewish sect which became Christianity, the sacrifice of Jesus was a permanent replacement of the physical sacrifices.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I think we have to ask what Paul's idea of Resurrection would have been. He was a Pharisee, so believed there would be a Resurrection, but he probably believed as most did at his time this was to occur for most at " The End of Days" .

Generally Rabbis of his day envisaged a resurrection back to life on Earth if I remember correctly, they quoted the examples from Scripture where ones were formerly brought back to life, but bearing that in mind , how could Christ be the Firstborn from the dead ? I guess the conclusion above is right, he was the first to gain immortality, those previous guys all died in the end.

Paul has to develop these ideas, somewhat hurriedly, and way different to what orthodox Jews believed then, because he is convinced that Jesus , after his death, spoke to Paul from Heaven. And Mortals don't get in to Heaven, presumably.

• jhine
  • jhine
    jhine

I have always understood that verse to mean that Jesus died for our sins , each and every individual.

I don't really get what the WT means by putting Adam into the mix . To me the Bible says that we are all born into sin

Jan.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit