Quick builds

by moley 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• luckynedpepper
    luckynedpepper

ive asked the same question; when are we having the undedication ceremony? More importantly, if we dont support Babylon the Great, maybe we should demolish the building, and sell it as undeveloped land. After all, the building has been bought and paid for and not by WTBTS

• Foolednomore
    Foolednomore

I was an Inspector for awhile and I got into a heated argument with the elders as to what building I can and can't inspect. But it is ironic the sell of Kingdumb halls to other churches. Which I pointed out. They wanted me to inspect some of their Kingdumb and personal projects. Which I was never available for their bullshit.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

the local quick build in my town ( Ryde, isle of Wight, UK ) has been sold and is now an animal veterinary hospital.

So it finally came in useful.

In pre covid days i asked a couple of doorstep soldiers what happened to the money ( about £500k )--they replied its used to build more halls in Africa. I laughed .

• Mum
    Mum

My friend in Chico, California says that the JW's there bought a Nazarene Church and closed off all the windows and converted it to a Kingdumb Hell. I never heard of such a thing before, but if anyone here lives in Chico, I would appreciate confirmation of this account. I have asked Kim Brooks if she can find out about it, and she is working on it.

• karter
    karter

I worked on a Quick build and it rained all weekend , They should never have put the Gib board on as the framing was wet but a Brother who was an Engineer singed it off .....well not long after mold started comming throught the Gib and had to be ripped off dryed out and replaced , They should never had put the gib board on but to show how wonderful they are building it in a weekend they went ahead and payed the price.

Another one i worked on the put an M.S in charge of the scaffolding he had never done scaffolding before , My Brother was a qualified scaffolder and told him to stop pulling out some Braces to use else where , He said "I'm in charge here you do as i say" just becouse hes an M.S thought he knew better , My brother went to the guy incharge and said im out of here unless this is done properly as any accidents ill cop it.

Karter.

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

ThomasMore: "Many Brothers who were used extensively were discarded when they were unable to have high field service hours AND be at builds every other weekend."

It always struck me as being nuts that JWs weren't allowed to count any "kingdom" work performed towards their hours. The GB don't do field service, do they? I bet they count their GB duty hours! Or do they just tick "active" now? 🙄

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Quick builds were fun if you got into a decent crew--real fellowship. I recall a 4H hall being in the news for being done by in 2 days by volunteers.

The only place I ever heard ofhaving 5 star work was Warwick. One local had hurt feelings seeing his work repeatedly torn out, and he did good work.

I have seen parking with huge puddles, and engineering to run all rain toward the front door.

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

Quickbuilds have been often plagued with mold

The hall I used to go to had that happen. Hail damaged the $60,000 concrete roofing that was sold as never needing replaced or repaired and the JW roofers who replaced it roofed right over all the HVAC and sewer vents. Then COVID hit and for three years that hall sat empty with sewer gas, and HVAC condensate filling up the interior. Coupled with landscaping that ran run-off water towards the building they have had to remove all the brick work, replace all the wall sheathing, and many of the wall studs. Then they keep "reminding" the ones still going to "show your love for Jehovah and remember to donate for the high cost of this repair."

They should have just demolished the building and sent the remaining members to the hall in the next town ten miles (US) over.

• James Jack
    James Jack

@neat blue dog

The wife and I every month from 1995 to 2013(when the RBC disbanded and the equipment sold off) would participate in quick builds and relief work. Our RBC was top notch, with many skilled laborers. We were instrumental in rebuilding New Orleans after hurricane Katrina. Never recall any major issues, except one in Atlanta where a heavy set sister fell from a latter and broke her arm. The local fire marshal showed up, shut down the build for 2 hours, call everyone on site, and gave us a lecture about being “ safety conscious “ while working. Thereafter, we had safety meetings and safety crews onsite throughout the completion of the building.

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

Thereafter, we had safety meetings and safety crews onsite throughout the completion of the building.

I remember being subjected to those. The last one I was at was nearly 15 years ago and the head RBC guy was yapping along about how everyone MUST wear a hardhat at all times while inside the building as it was a construction zone. Then he read off some scripture about the sanctity of life, and how wearing the hardhat showed "we" respected life and loved Jehovah. All the while he had his hardhat under his arm! At that point I took mine off, threw it on the floor and said, "If YOU don't have to wear yours, I don't have to wear mine!" And then I walked off the job.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit