"Romans" added to NWT Study Bible, and one omission.

by Wonderment 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Wonderment
    Wonderment

Rom. 14:1 says: "Welcome the man having weaknesses in his faith, but do not pass judgment on differing opinions." (Italics added.)

The WTS does not offer a comment on this scripture. We can't be totally surprised, since the organization avoids focusing on Scriptures that do not serve their interests.

Notwithstanding, the Society has the following comment on verse four of the same chapter:

Who are you to judge the servant of another?: In this passage (Ro 14:1-12), Paul makes it clear that Christians are not to judge one another in matters of conscience. Christians in the Rome congregation came from a variety of cultural backgrounds, and some were judging their fellow believers for decisions and actions that did not violate Bible principles. The preceding verse (Ro 14:3) states that “God has welcomed” both “the one eating” and “the one not eating.” Paul’s question here in verse 4 reminded his fellow believers to recognize that Jehovah was supporting the person they were judging. Paul uses an illustration of a household servant and his master. The master had the exclusive right to establish rules for and restrictions on his servant, to assign him duties, to retain or discharge him. Anyone else assuming this responsibility on his own would be considered presumptuous, and the master could rightfully say to him: ‘Who do you think you are?’ In a similar way, each Christian is responsible before God, his Master, in matters of conscience. No Christian has the right to judge his brother because that brother belongs exclusively to God. [End of quote]

Now, observe these statements from the quote:

"Paul makes it clear that Christians are not to judge one another in matters of conscience... Paul’s question here in verse 4 reminded his fellow believers to recognize that Jehovah was supporting the person they were judging. [...] In a similar way, each Christian is responsible before God, his Master, in matters of conscience. No Christian has the right to judge his brother because that brother belongs exclusively to God. [End of quotes]

These declarations make us wonder how the Society can reconcile their controlling and judgmental attitude and policies toward the brotherhood with those expressed statements above. What do you say?

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

These declarations make us wonder how the Society can reconcile their controlling and judgmental attitude and policies toward the brotherhood with those expressed statements above. What do you say?

I say, I can`t see how the WTB&TS / Jehovah`s Witnesses can justify anything they teach on any level when you compare what the Bible actually says about any subject and the interpretations the GB members through the WT publications demand their followers to adhere to or face a Judicial inquiry or be DF for not obeying the directions of the GB, who admit they make mistakes and are not inspired ?

Without ever apologizing ever for mistakes they don`t admit to ever making .

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Because they get to decide what these "matters of conscience" are!

• The Fall Guy
    The Fall Guy

The bottom line is this, the org's self-proclaimed "king/priests" in Warwick dictate what JW's think - not how to think.

• Half banana
    Half banana

We have decided that we are God's anointed, so you've got to think like we tell you to........otherwise we'll punish you!

I guess it is the same unquestioned sanctity given to the Bible which is then transferred to the GB, and this is how JW cult leaders empower themselves.

Your point Wonderment is very good, to read the Bible in its social-historical context is very illuminating and not like the stereotype supplied by the Watchtower. The JW org has carefully honed the conjuror's ability to select only on what they want you to see and avoid all contrary information.

• blondie
    blondie

Romans Study Notes—Chapter 14 (‎2 occurrences)

• Who are you to judge the servant of another?: In this passage (Ro 14:1-12), Paul makes it clear that Christians are not to judge one another in matters of conscience.

In this account at Ro 14:1-12, Paul discusses the importance of not judging one another in matters of conscience.

• nwtsty - Study Bible

Love (‎1 occurrence)

• Love will not impute evil motives to another but will be inclined to make allowances and give others the benefit of the doubt.​—Ro 14:1, 5.

• it-2 pp. 273-279 - Insight, Volume 2

Shepherds, Imitate the Greatest Shepherds (‎1 occurrence)

• After the discussion, the elder will allow the brother to make his own decision.​—Romans 14:1-4.

• ws13 11/15 pp. 27-32 - The Watchtower (Simplified)—2013

Directing his attention primarily to men who assumed that they qualified as teachers in the congregation, the disciple James next pointed to disqualifying traits. We read: “But if you have bitter jealousy and contentiousness in your hearts, do not be bragging and lying against the truth.” (Jas. 3:14) These words call for self-examination. A man might ask himself: ‘Do I harbor bitter jealousy? Am I contentious?’ Bitter jealousy would include a person’s having an inordinate desire to glorify himself and his opinions. It could manifest itself in a fanatical and stubborn zeal for his own views while loudly decrying opinions differing from his, or failing to acknowledge that others possess wisdom and understanding equal to or superior to his own. As for contentiousness, this refers to a person’s having a spirit of quarreling or strife. A man may be inclined to use means that give rise to disturbance in order to confuse others and to further his own ends. Such contentiousness would be a product of pride and selfish ambition.

• w78 12/1 pp. 21-25
  • Qualifying as Teachers in the Congregation

• Wonderment
    Wonderment

blondie, thanks for bringing these references to our attention.

Really, that's not many Watchtower references of Rom. 14.1 considering the importance of the unifying message of the verse to the Christian congregation. Compare that to Mt. 24.45, or Mt. 24.14 where the Watchtower pushes these verses repeatedly at every publisher in existence.

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

This passage reminded me of an experience.

A few years ago, one of the elders in our KH gave a Sunday talk and in it he was discussing how in the churches Christmas and Easter are held as the most important days of the year. He said, 'in contrast, "we" (meaning JWs) hold Nisan 14 as the most important day of the year.' Of course, his point was that JWs have it right.

After the talk, I approached him and brought up that part of the talk and told him that he only presented two sides of the argument. That there was a third viewpoint he did not mention. When he looked at me wondering what I was referring to, I told him he would find the third view in Romans 14:5 (which is part of the same context with Rom 14:1).

I never got a reply from him, but several other standing around promptly opened their Bibles to see what I was referring to. None of them ever said anything to me about it afterward either.

• Share this

Google+
    Pinterest
    Reddit