WT "Study" for 4th September 2016 - “Seek the Kingdom, Not Things”

by Nicholaus Kopernicus 20 Replies latest watchtower bible

• hoser
    hoser

The problem is that the magazines are written by people who don't have to make a living in the real world.

• Disassociated Lady 2
    Disassociated Lady 2

Whether this religion is true or not ( I doubt it) I would not want to live forever with hypocrites like that anyway >:-( x

• Spiral
    Spiral

It was really sad to see all the poor, living on the edge people today parroting what was in the magazine. Isn't poverty fun! It makes us more spiritual! I love driving that old car down the highway with my children in the back seat hoping my bald tires don't blow out!

Meanwhile, the few (and I mean literally a handful) here that do have money would comment the same. Are they laughing behind their hands at the poor people here? I wonder. None of them would give up what they have to test God to see if he will support them. Nor do they share, from what I can see.

Keeping my job, that's for sure. I like driving a car that's not going to blow up any time soon (or if it does, there's a warranty).

And where are all the contributions going to come from? The "work" isn't getting any cheaper but the "brothers" are sure getting poorer.

• skin
    skin

Who remembers the time when materialism was considered OK, it was just how you allowed it to control your life that was frowned upon. How many on here know of Elders with everything in life, grand house, nice cars, latest technically, it will be these ones that stand up in front of the meetings and tell everyone to simplify your life, and the ones that listen will be the ones that can't afford to listen, but they do.

• bobld
    bobld

para 1 "Need" and Want"

A want is not essential for everyday living.So why do you have air-conditioning in

kingdom halls,homes,cars.

para 2 In developing countries....many may simply want to have enough money

to buy an air-conditioner.I am sure in some African countries it gets very hot-humid.

See what I mean....

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I once used to work seven days a week and most evenings too . The advice to simplify your life is good . My former life was depressing me. The worst thing was that a lot of it was unpaid

I refer to the days when I was a J W Elder. Man....my life needed simplifying!

• freddo
    freddo

Amen to that Blues Brother!

• Nicholaus Kopernicus
    Nicholaus Kopernicus

BluesBrother:

What a paradox. Reaching out is a "fine thing" according to scripture. But not a fine experience in your case, mine, and that of many others. It's as if they were a bottom line employer and try to work you until your burned out! Not at all Christian.

In the last 5 years, I've been approached twice about reaching out (usually in close proximity to CO visits) but next time I'm going to adopt your thought as my riposte. Namely: thank you brothers but I'm working on the counsel to simplify my life rather than complicate it.

Shouldn't be all that long before I'm avoided by them all together. Amen!

• StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel

Don't work on building material things for yourself... work on building material things for us..

Yes.. unfortunately I was there too. What is worst, the lunch for the visiting speaker was held at my house..

I am paying closer attention now to the talk and body language of the brothers when they are in more informal enviromment. I can see who stands a chance of being an apostate in the making.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

"...“Seek the Kingdom, Not Things”..."

Huh.

I guess "the Kingdom" ain't a thing.

:smirk:

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit