What exactly IS 1914 these days?

by Halcon 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• mikeflood
    mikeflood

Sooner or later 1914 is gonna disappear, it falls under "we don't know things....".

Besides, one elder told me many years ago, "even if the end of the days don't come in our lifetimes"....

Urgency? Yes, they just gonna point at the international situation...

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

The Watch Tower Society is mentioning 1914 and 607 BCE less frequently than it did in decades past, but it still gets its own 'study lesson' (32) in their current 'study' publication, including their 'explanation' (if you'd call it that) of the '2,520 years'. That study lesson directs the reader to the Watch Tower Society's 2014 attempt to defend 1914 in the October and November issues of The Watchtower (rebuttal here).

So it can't at all be said that it's just something that 'old timers' remember.

• Ron.W.
    Ron.W.

I remember attending a district convention in the mid 1980's as a regular pioneer.

The speaker was shouting at the audience, whipping them into a crescendo of applause about 1914, 1919, being inspected by god, being incarcerated in prison and then being released.

Not one scripture was used in this over emotive rant - I thought to myself - this is all a pile of crap!

But of course, you have to keep your mouth shut until it is the time for you to leave this madcap, kooky, brainwashing cult.

Next to me a few seats along was our current circuit overseer - I noticed with interest that during all this ranting he was fast asleep!

• Halcon
    Halcon

Had a similar thing happen at a circuit assembly around 1994, just before the generation teaching changed. The CO asked everyone that was over 75 years of age to stand up. When all of 2 or 3 old folks stood up the CO said something to the effect of "behold! The end is upon us!"

I can't help but lol when I think about it now...such dramatics.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit