Were there other Christs?

by JH 18 Replies latest jw friends

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

StinkyPantz is the Christ!

• Loris
    Loris
    The word "Christ" means Messiah, or "Anointed One."

If you guys are looking for some false "anointed ones" go to Brooklyn. But watch out they are slick. They made sure that the word was translated Christ in the offending verse so they could not be identified.

Loris

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

Just thought I'd mention the consideration of Jesus and messiah's in general in Hinduism, as something of interest, perhaps.

The Christ concept is very similar to the Hindu concept of "Avatar". Strictly speaking Avatars are God manefested on earth. On system of Hinduism. (i.e. Avatars of Vishnu might include Rama, Krishna, Kalki and others). The list is not really inclusive as it may change over time. There is no pope or college of cardinals in this faith system, so of course there are differences of opinions.

Some also say that Jesus is an Avatar. Other's say he is a master yogi. Others say Jesus was just a retelling of the life of Krishna. (this makes a certain sense, as their lives are VERY similar, although stories of Krishna far predate Jesus. A case has even been made of Jesus travelling to Kashmir and Tibet during his twenties.

• Mary
    Mary

My impression was that the word "Christ" meant "Messiah". There have been countless "messiahs" over the last 2000 and plenty in the 20th century.

• hooberus
    hooberus

gita, parallel charts like the one in the arctilce you posted can be misleading.

Krishna was crucified.Jesus was crucified.
    During the crucifixion, Krishna was wounded by an arrow.During the crucifixion, Jesus was wounded by a spear.
    At noon on the day of Krishna's crucifixion, the sun darkened.From the sixth hour to the ninth hour on the day of Jesus' crucifixion, the sun darkened.

http://www.geocities.com/acts_2_38_4_12/YAHshua_Muhammad6_index.html

In India, the followers of Krishna responded to the Christian teaching that Yeshua Messiah died on the cross for the sins of all mankind, answered immediately, "Well, then Krishna too must have died on a cross for our sins." This fable didn't last long as it was revealed that in all the literary sources concerning Krishna, no such death or crucifixion was mentioned until AFTER the followers of Krishna had engaged in debate with Christians.

Does Christianity have a "pagan origin" as some falsly claim, or borrow from krishna:

http://www.geocities.com/metagetics/JCMyth_1.html

• Dawn
    Dawn

2 examples:

Jehovah's Witness Organization and Mormons.

Both organizations come in Christ's name, and deceptively de-throne him and place themselves in his position as the way/door to God. Both organizations have deceived many. These are just modern day examples - I am sure there were more in the past.

Jesus said "I am the way, the truth, and the light - noone comes to the father except through me" - so any person or organization that says THEY are the way are false christs.

• kes152
    kes152

The word 'christ' is also translated 'messiah' which means 'anointed of Jah.' The term christ, then came to be translated as 'anointed.' Hence, the warning of our Lord reads as " For many shall come in my name, saying, I am the anointed; and shall lead many astray. "

Who do we know that claims to be anointed on the basis of Jesus name?

He also said respecting them, "M any, I say unto you, shall seek to enter in, and shall not be able. When once the master of the house is risen up, and has shut to the door, and you (the 'anointed') begin to stand outside, and to knock at the door, saying, "Lord, open to us;" and he shall answer and say to you, "I do not know where you are from;" then shall ye begin to say, "We did eat and drink in your presence, and you taught in our streets;" and he shall say, "I tell you, I do not know where you are from; depart from me, all you workers of lawlessness." There shall be the weeping and the gnashing of teeth, when you shall see Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, and all the prophets, in the kingdom of God, and yourselves cast forth outside. " (Luke 13:23-28)

The 'anointed' indeed "ate and drank" the unleavened bread and the red wine.. every Memorial in the kingdom hall of Jehovah's Witnesses "in his presence" (at least so they claimed). And our Lord through the anointed He sent to them, although deemed as 'apostates,' did teach in the streets of the witnesses.. although none of the 'anointed' witnesses paid any heed to what these 'apostate anointed' were teaching. And so our Lord tells them in truth.. "I do not know you." The anointed never did form a close relationship with Christ, they were all too concerned about the "organization" and its "faithful and discreet slave." They formed a relationship with them and Jehovah without knowing Jesus at all. For if you claim to know the Father, but do not have a personal dialogue relationship with the Son, you do not know the Father at all (John 8:19; 14:7) It was always about glorifying "Jehovah" and glorifying the "organization." They never ever glorified Jesus.. the very One who surrendered his soul in their behalf. Hence, they do not know him.

These 'anointed' are "workers of lawlessness." "Lawless" means 'without law.' The only Law we were given was the new law written on our hearts by means of the new covenant (Jeremiah 31:31-34). Hence, in order for the 'anointed witnesses' to be "workers of lawlessness," their work must be to keep people 'lawless' or without law. The BEST way to do this is to keep them out of the 'new covenant.' for entering the new covenant will allow them to have the law written on their hearts. So the 'anointed witnesses' CLOSE THE DOOR to the new covenant by saying only the 'anointed witnesses' may be in the new covenant. Hence, all the other witnesses do not get the law "written on their hearts" which makes them 'lawless.' Hence the 'anointed witnesses' who CAUSED them to be 'lawless' would likewise be "WORKERS of lawlessness."

So these 'anointed witnesses' will indeed be "weeping and gnashing their teeth" when they SEE Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, and ALL the prophets in the kingdom of the heavens (Matthew 8:11) and themselves cast out; because they taught for so long that these men would NOT be in heaven but living on earth.

May you have peace!

Aaron

• Bona Dea
    Bona Dea

Christ: \Christ\, n. [L. Christus, Gr. ?, fr. ? anointed, fr. chri`ein to anoint. See Chrism.] The Anointed; an appellation given to Jesus, the Savior. It is synonymous with the Hebrew Messiah.

Source : Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.

Christ: anointed, the Greek translation of the Hebrew word rendered "Messiah" (q.v.),

Source : Easton's 1897 Bible Dictionary

Christ: Christ, anointed

Source : Hitchcock's Bible Names Dictionary

Messiah: (Heb. mashiah), in all the thirty-nine instances of its occurring in the Old Testament, is rendered by the LXX. "Christos." It means anointed. Thus priests (Ex. 28:41; 40:15; Num. 3:3), prophets (1 Kings 19:16), and kings (1 Sam. 9:16; 16:3; 2 Sam. 12:7) were anointed with oil, and so consecrated to their respective offices. The great Messiah is anointed "above his fellows" (Ps.45:7); i.e., he embraces in himself all the three offices.

Source : Easton's 1897 Bible Dictionary

Messiah: Messiah, anointed

Source : Hitchcock's Bible Names Dictionary

So, apparently, "Christ" or "Messiah" can technically be anyone who is anointed...

I found this interesting too...personally, I think this is the "Christ" that we were being warned about :

Messiah: Ghost dance \Ghost dance\ A religious dance of the North American Indians, participated in by both sexes, and looked upon as a rite of invocation the purpose of which is, through trance and vision, to bring the dancer into communion with the unseen world and the spirits of departed friends. The dance is the chief rite of the

Ghost-dance, or

Messiah, religion, which originated about 1890 in the doctrines of the Piute Wovoka, the Indian Messiah, who taught that the time was drawing near when the whole Indian race, the dead with the living, should be reunited to live a life of millennial happiness upon a regenerated earth. The religion inculcates peace, righteousness, and work, and holds that in good time, without warlike intervention, the oppressive white rule will be removed by the higher powers. The religion spread through a majority of the western tribes of the United States, only in the case of the Sioux, owing to local causes, leading to an outbreak.

Source : Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.

Sadie

• pseudoxristos
    pseudoxristos
    <-------waiting for pseudochristos to wade on into this thread

Craig

LOL @ ona BTW, I have a condition called wadophobia. It flares up while I'm near water. When I was in my early 30's I tried several times to wade through water, but each time I ended up walking on it instead. Unfortunately this always seemed to draw a large crowd. They keep trying to follow me everywhere I went. I constantly had to remind them that my name is pseudo, but they insisted on calling me xristos. Where in the world do these people get these strange ideas? I ran across this today, and remembered seeing this thread. I thought it might be appropriate.

In the first century of the Common Era, there appeared at the eastern end of the Mediterranean a remarkable religious leader who taught the worship of one true God and declared that religion meant not the sacrifice of beasts but the practice of charity and piety an the shunning of hatred and enmity. He was said to have worked miracles of goodness, casting out demons, healing the sick, raising the dead. His exemplary life led some of his followers to claim he was a son of God, though he called himself the son of a man. Accused of sedition against Rome, he was arrested. After his death, his disciples claimed he had risen from the dead, appeared to them alive, and then ascended to heaven. Who was this teacher and wonder-worker? His name was Apollonius of Tyana; he died about 98 A.D., and his story may be read in Flavius Philostratus's Life of Apollonius. [1] http://bismikaallahuma.org/Bible/Text/g-fictions.htm pseudo edited to added signature and link (they disappeared, kind of like that time in my early 30's and I was.... oh, never mind. Its a long story)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit