I have come to the conclusion that a lot of JWs don't care if the end is near.

by mickbobcat 31 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• mickbobcat
    mickbobcat

I was in the cult for years about 40. Fourth gen born in cult member or for me ex cult member. I have seen so many cult members who don't seem to really care if the end is near or not. They are much more concerned with the idea that this is their social network and they need and or want it just the way it is. The goal is not the main concern as much as the cult itself is. My late Grand father who was an elder and before that a CO and before that a Special pioneer for years, told me that even if its all wrong its a good way to live. that is a very BS statement. But in his older years that was exactly what it was. He loved as many cult leaders do the golf claps they get from the old women who come up after a talk and say "Oh, Brother you give such great talks." They love being an elder and having the cult idiots who look up to them. Its much more important the end itself. Opinion's?

• pistolpete
    pistolpete

I would say that - that only applies to a certain "Age" group of jws. The young born in jws today under the age of 18 can't wait till they turn 18 to leave the religion. They know the truth about 607, 1914, sex scandals. In other words they know the WT organization is a religious cult and not God's true channel.

The Jws that are still in regardless of all the flip flops are in my opinion TRUE BELIEVERS.

I'm just not sure at what age they begin.

I would venture to say the True Believers start at age 50-90. Sunk Cost fallacy. In other words, they already put too much time into the religion so it wouldn't make sense to leave now when their life has already been used up in the religion.

In other words-----there still a one in a million chance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqdNe8u-Jsg

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

I believe it. In 2005 I attended a One Day Assembly in which a young Elder who was formerly a Bethelite gave a talk. After walking off the stage he told his best friend the end was not coming any time soon.

Those generational Witnesses who have high paying jobs and martini parties are just going through the motions. I think deep down inside they don't want the end to come. They no life in the "New World" would be rough.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

PISTOLPETE

I agree with you that the JWs who are still in are ‘true believers’.

The ones I know also have something else in common:..they are ones who never got a decent job or career and instead pioneered, lived on the edge or got low paying jobs that were close by so they wouldn’t miss meetings. Now these people are over sixty and struggling and complaining about how bad everything is..One gets monetary assistance from non-JW relatives.

Naturally, these people would be wishing for the end of the ‘system’.

TRUTHBKNOWN:

I also believe that JWs who are materially well-off and prospering are not eager to see the End of the system and just want to live out their lives. IMO, No sensible person is really eager to suffer through any ‘great tribulation’!

• lastmanstanding
    lastmanstanding

I agree about how long timers are "true believers". The 'sunk cost' rule as was mentioned.

I like to test the true believer class. (they always like classes LOL)

I ask a few questions that demonstrate the impossibility of their belief, and universally they begin to make stuff up to try and make it still work. Like new mortar to go between the bricks you smash out of their wall.

And then I ask which magazine they read their inventions from, and they get upset.

• hoser
    hoser

True believers are trading momentary accolades for future security. I have family members that have privileges in the congregation that take up a lot of their time. They go to the international conventions and the special tours to other countries that those in their jw social caste are expected to. In reality they are kinda broke. They earn decent money but have not accumulated much for wealth and as you get older you can’t work the crazy hours you did when you were young. Mrs Hoser and myself are doing ok even though we squandered a lot of our youth on jw activities.

Do these relatives actually believe it’s the truth or are they stuck in a jw social stratification prison? Even if they think it’s all bullshit it would be hard to break away as they have based all of their business, friendships and personal relationships around Jehovah’s witnesses.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I've been to a funeral where I've heard the deceased praised for remaining faithful after the 1975 debacle, including bringing up the date, and it was emphasized that he had carried on being faithful even though he had been let down by the promises made on Jehovah's behalf by the WT during that era.

• Abraham1
    Abraham1

This is true of most organizations. For example, every priest in Christendom knows all of Jesus’ apostles and his half-brother James were all married. (1-corinthians/9/5) Yet priests or young ones offering themselves for priesthood have no problem with enforced celibacy on them. They like such a way of life and belief systems. So are Pentacostals—in their reading of the Bible, they come across many verses that refute their core teaching of Trinity—yet their militant zeal for this Trinity Teaching never diminishes. Doctors and Governments know that vaccination serves no useful purpose other than a mental satisfaction, yet they treat it as of death & life importance. (https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(21)00648-4/fulltext) Hence Jesus made this important observation about belief system—people believe certain things not because they are true but because it appeals to their likes and dislikes. (luke/6/43-45)

That means Preaching activity too is not going to help, yet Preaching goes on.
  • Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

Abraham1, though the Covid-19 vaccines might not work well for new strains of Covid-19, regarding all vaccines do you really believe that "vaccination serves no useful purpose other than a mental satisfaction"? My doctor (as part of my physical), after pulling up my vaccination records from a database, told me to get the shingles vaccine. She urged me to do it soon, instead of waiting a few years. [Even before my doctor told me to get it, I had already decided to get, though I was in no hurry to get it. My prior doctor, now retired, when I saw him three years ago also said I should get the shingles vaccination.]

My high school biology textbook (copyright 1977) says how the first vaccine was discovered, namely the first one for small pox (developed by Dr. Edward Jenner way back in 1796) and that the vaccine was a success! The textbook also mentioned the success of the rabies vaccine developed by Louis Pasteur way back in 1885! The textbook also mentions polio vaccines and typhoid vaccines, and it says regarding those vaccines that "they cause antibody production and create immunity." I have thus known for decades that a number of vaccines work. The science says many vaccines work and I believe in science. Do you really believe the following vaccines don't work: small pox, polio, chickenpox, measles, mumps, diphtheria, tetanus, Hepatitis A and B, and rabies? Do you really believe that none of the available vaccines listed at https://www.who.int/teams/immunization-vaccines-and-biologicals/diseases work?

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

Regarding the statement of "The young born in jws today under the age of 18 can't wait till they turn 18 to leave the religion." I hope that is true. Is there any evidence of that available to those who no longer attend JW congregational meetings?

Are there any JWs (whether baptized or not) in the age range of 20-30 years old who were raised in the religion since their infancy? If so, about how many of them are there compared to other age groups?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit