Just changed out the summer quilts.

by GrreatTeacher 8 Replies latest jw friends

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

I just washed all my summer quilts and put them away for the season. I brought out the thicker and heavier winter quilts and put them on the beds.

I love patchwork quilts and have a couple of heirloom ones actually made out of the scraps of old family clothes. My mom can point to a fabric and say," oh, that was a dress of mine when I was little," or, "that was my mother's apron."

I have quite a collection, but it's getting harder to find cotton patchwork quilts anymore. A lot are now cheap and thin polyester. You need the cotton batting to make the quilt heavy which is what I absolutely love about winter quilts. It was a thing before weighted blankets became all the rage.

I've also brought out the candles for the house. I light them in the evenings now that it's dark by 7 PM. My favorites this time of year are ones that smell like apples and the ones that smell like cinnamon and other spices. I have a collection of candles, too, but I keep burning them up!

Does anybody else have any changing of the season rituals or routines? I know some people like to go camping in the cooler autumn weather. Some people like to have evening bonfires. Some people shrink wrap their boats. My husband washes our vehicles. I know not why because we don't have a garage to store them in.

I think it's interesting human behavior that we seem to have so many changing of season routines. I mean, some people even pack up the house and move south for the winter! Hello snowbirds!

Summer officially ends this Wednesday. (In the northern hemisphere.) Do you have any change of season activities?

• Simon
    Simon

It's people like you that cause global cooling every year. Dammit!

Soon that snow shit will happen again. God damn.

Have to make every patio-day count from now on.

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

Ha Ha!

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

Summer aint' over till I say it's over !

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

I'd love to see a photo of your quilts great teacher!

I've been thinking of making one each for my boys.

• Anna Marina
    Anna Marina

I'd like to see your quilts too great teacher - though I'd never make one. Or if I did it wouldn't look great.

Here in UK it is time to put the fans away and maybe get the hot water bottles out or put on a thicker duvet.

Petrol prices are going up so it could mean panic buying season has just started. Not sure.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Where I live it is freezing one day and 80 the next so we keep an extra fleece cover available

What's with the weighted blankets ? Seems claustrophobic

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

There are people who have always liked stacks of heavy quilts and blankets. Many autistic people find the weight of the blankets on their bodies calming. It's a sensory thing that some people prefer. It makes me feel cozy and comfortable. When I sleep with a fluffy and lofted comforter or duvet, even though it is very warm, I feel something is missing, almost like I could float away. So, maybe the opposite of claustrophobic; not secure and safe enough.

It sounds stupid, I know. It's also maybe related to what we were used to growing up. I've always had a top sheet and quilt, and an extra blanket or two sandwiched between as it gets colder. Central Maryland can get really hot in the summer, average of 90°, and then often reaches freezing in the winter. So, layering blankets on is a way to add warmth which often then adds weight.

My son uses this approach on his body in the winter. He wraps a lightweight fleece throw around himself which looks like a cape when he's walking around. Sometimes it looks like Darth Vader is creeping around my house!

• Anna Marina
    Anna Marina

Never done it myself and I am guessing it might be expensive but some have a sheepskin mattress cover with the wooly fluffy bits facing up and sheet to cover it.

I think the sheepskin keeps you warm in winter but cool in summer and it relieves pressure points.

If you were in hospital with a bad leg they'd put ankle sheepskin bootie slippers on you to protect your heels against pressure.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit