The “Most High” allocated Yahweh to Jacob

by Doug Mason 13 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Here’s is another big question what is this Israel that is spoken about ? It seems to me that the Bible Old Testament was written most of it around the time the Jews were in Babylon. So why mention an Israel this Israel in my opinion never existed as a nation . There was the Omnrides that ruled north of Judah but only two texts ever found The Merneptah Stella and a writing in Assyria that say something different then Omri. These two are said to say Israel but when you look you’ll see that that’s very suspect.

With so many of the writings in the Bible being taken from older pagan texts , the Old Testament to me has no more reality to it then the writtings about the knights of the round table.

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

Crazyguy,

I wonder if the "Israel" they speak of is the man Jacob who was renamed "Israel". Just a wild thought without any research. Most likely way off the mark.

As I mentioned previously in this Thread, the book "Gods, Goddesses, and Images of God in Ancient Israel" provides a wealth of written and pictorial information. Hundreds of pages with hundreds of images. It is data-dense with a position that is measured.

The Israelites did not share our concept of "history". Indeed our concept is only very recent:

https://www.britannica.com/topic/historiography

The Biblical writings -- all of them -- are influenced by ideology. They are all religious fiction. All. At times presenting good moral and ethical principles, but nevertheless never relaying objective factual evidences.

It underwent a lot of reworking. and some was written about 200 years after the Neo-Babylonian Exile.

Doug

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

Thanks for pointing me to the NET Bible.

I have reproduced that material, as well as pointing to a Paper referred to in the NET Footnote.

Doug

=================

NET Bible: Deuteronomy 32:8, 9

When the Most High [footnote 12, below] gave the nations their inheritance,
    when he divided up humankind [footnote 13],
    he set the boundaries of the peoples,
    according to the number of the heavenly assembly [footnote 14].
    For the Lord’s allotment is his people,
    Jacob is his special possession [footnote 15].

12. The Hebrew term עֶלְיוֹן (ʿelyon) is an abbreviated form of the divine name El Elyon, frequently translated “God Most High” (so here NCV, CEV) or something similar. This full name (or epithet) occurs only in Gen 14, though the two elements are parallel in Pss 73:11; 107:11; etc. Here it is clear that Elyon has to do with the nations in general whereas in v. 9, by contrast, Yahweh relates specifically to Israel. See T. Fretheim, NIDOTTE 1:400-401. The title depicts God as the sovereign ruler of the world, who is enthroned high above his dominion.

13. Heb “the sons of man” (so NASB); or “the sons of Adam” (so KJV).

14. Heb “the sons of Israel.” The idea, perhaps, is that Israel was central to Yahweh’s purposes and all other nations were arranged and distributed according to how they related to Israel. … For the MT יִשְׂרָאֵל בְּנֵי (bne yisraʾel, “sons of Israel”) a Qumran fragment has “sons of God,” while the LXX reads ἀγγέλων θεοῦ (angelōn theou, “angels of God”), presupposing בְּנֵי אֵל (bne ʾel) or בְּנֵי אֵלִים (bene ʾelim). “Sons of God” is undoubtedly the original reading; the MT and LXX have each interpreted it differently. MT assumes that the expression “sons of God” refers to Israel (cf. Hos. 1:10), while LXX has assumed that the phrase refers to the angelic heavenly assembly (Pss 29:1; 89:6; cf. as well Ps 82). The phrase is also attested in Ugaritic, where it refers to the high god El’s divine assembly. According to the latter view, which is reflected in the translation, the Lord delegated jurisdiction over the nations to his angelic host (cf. Dan 10:13-21), while reserving for himself Israel, over whom he rules directly. For a defense of the view taken here, see M. S. Heiser, “Deuteronomy 32:8 and the Sons of God,” BSac 158 (2001): 52-74.

===============

The article by Heiser is available for download at

https://archive.org/details/pdfy-LOqm5fXBY0UQZl7G

It certainly looks most interesting.

Thanks,

Doug

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

I think the name Israel , oldest mentioning was a chariot warrior named in some writings in Ugarit. I also believe that they found this name very common in the writtings from the city of Mari and these writting dated to before the Bible. Anyway it’s unsure what the true meaning of the name is , I’ve heard lots of different things.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit