Another Tidbit regarding Acts 15

by peacefulpete 11 Replies latest watchtower bible

• PetrW
    PetrW

@peacefulpete

The verb απολυω has a wide semantic field. And indeed it can mean "to send someone away" as many translations use this meaning in Acts 15:30/33. But it can also indeed mean "separate" see Acts 28:25 - here it is explicitly stated. Staying still in the realm of how the writer of Acts used this verb, compare the same form of απολυω in Acts 15:30 and Acts 4:23. The exact same verb form (participle in the aorist passive) is translated according to context: in Acts 15:30 as "to send away" and in Acts 4:23 as "to let go". Certainly - even without any special knowledge of the Greek - it can be seen that the "blame" for the confusion lies, to some extent, rather with the translators or the emendation of later centuries. One of the many reasons for this is the decline of knowledge of Greek. It is common to refer to the 2nd century AD as the linguistic turning point in the "Western" Church, when Latin came in and its dominance lasted essentially until the European Renaissance. By the time Greek studies resumed...

But I think there's more to it than that. Rather, these - apparent or real - ambiguities in the NT text serve as an argument for you to question the text. I think you made the right choice! I would even add another. For example, the question of why God Almighty did not take care to preserve the quality of his text? We still have extant, extensive inscriptions from the time of, say, the Emperor Augustus. Even in Latin and Greek. And nothing in the Bible. A few torn papyri or manuscripts missing this or that...

From a rational point of view, then, the Bible would be on a par with other ancient works that are indeed interesting, in many ways can still inspire us today (see Roman law) or are important for the historical identity of Europe (Herodotus, Thucydides), etc., etc., but that's about the end of it.

I honestly don't know how else to answer you, but I think that despite the objective state of affairs, which you rightly criticize in many ways, I think it all makes sense. Jesus, as a historical figure, simply influenced billions of people. And while many chose to bestially murder, burn, torture, enslave, and commit senseless crimes in his name, there were also those who lived out his example, covertly, quietly, often subtly. Many have suffered great injustices for his name's sake from the very ones who took his name. This too is true.

Maybe it's worth trying again, a second time, a third time. But with that, one is extremely cautious and distrustful. But even the little one truly believes Jesus is worth it, I think.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete
    I'm glad the Jesus you discern from these texts is one that promoted love. Literature at its best inspires our best from us.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit