Question for Hillary or ?

by DJ 20 Replies latest jw friends

• DJ
    DJ

Hillary,

You seem rather well-educated about inside workings of the watchtower so I'm hoping that you might know the answer to my question. I have asked it on several threads but no one seems to know. The statement from JR Brown on the CBS news last night stated that the elders are to report pedophilia cases where it is the law to do so. Naturally, I'm stuck there. Do you know where it is the law and where it is not? It appears to me that the wt likes to use that phrase in order to sound law abiding. In reality, it is deceptive. I don't think that all states in the US have a reporting law. As a matter of fact, I think there are very few. This legal loophole gives the wt freedom to do as it pleases....the heck with common sense or protecting children. Thanks in advance....love, dj

• Scully
    Scully

Here is a continuing education course for people in the health care professions on Child Abuse

http://www.medceu.com/course-no-test.cfm?CID=510

Here is the table from that course outlining who is required by law to report child abuse (known or suspected) in each state. It is information that was in effect from December 31, 2000, so there may be some updates and changes in the 2 years that have followed.

STATEPROFESSIONS THAT
    MUST REPORT
    OTHERS WHO
    MUST REPORT
    STANDARD FOR REPORTINGPRIVILEGED COMMUNICATIONS
    Health CareMental HealthSocial WorkEducation/ Child CareLaw EnforcementAll PersonsOther
    ALABAMA
    §§26-14-3(a)
    26-14-10
    XXXXX · Any other person called upon to give aid or assistance to any child· Known or suspected· Attorney/client
    ALASKA
    §§47.17.020(a)
    XXXXX · Paid employees of domestic violence and sexual assault programs and drug and alcohol treatment facilities
    · Members of a child fatality review team or multidisciplinary child protection team
    · Commercial or private film or photograph processors
    · Have reasonable cause to suspect
    ARIZONA
    §§13-3620(A)
    8-805(B)-(C)
    XXXXX · Parents
    · Anyone responsible for care or treatment of children
    · Clergy
    · Have reasonable grounds to believe· Clergy/penitent
    · Attorney/client
    ARKANSAS
    §12-12-507(b)-(c)
    XXXXX · Prosecutors
    · Judges
    · Div. of Youth Services employees
    · Domestic violence shelter employees and volunteers
    · Have observed conditions which would reasonably result
    CALIFORNIA
    Penal Code
    §§11166(a), (c)
    11165.7(a)
    XXXXX · Firefighters
    · Animal control officers
    · Commercial film and photographic print processors
    · Clergy
    · Have knowledge of or observe
    · Know or reasonably suspect
    · Clergy/penitent
    COLORADO
    §§19-3-304(1), (2), (2.5)
    19-3-311
    XXXXX · Christian Science practitioners
    · Veterinarians
    · Firefighters
    · Victim advocates
    · Have reasonable cause to know or suspect
    CONNECTICUT
    §§17a-101(b)
    17a-103(a)
    XXXXX · Substance abuse counselors
    · Sexual assault counselors
    · Battered women's counselors
    · Clergy
    · Have reasonable cause to suspect or believe
    DELAWARE
    tit. 16, § 903
    tit. 16, § 909
    XXXX X · Know or in good faith suspect· Attorney/client
    · Clergy/penitent
    DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA
    §§2-1352(a), (b), (d)
    2-1355
    XXXXX · Know or have reasonable cause to suspect
    FLORIDA
    §§39.201(1)
    XXXXXX· Judges
    · Religious healers
    · Know or have reasonable cause to suspect· Attorney/client
    GEORGIA
    §§19-7-5(c)(1), (g)
    16-12-100(c)
    XXXXX · Persons who produce visual or printed matter· Have reasonable cause to believe
    HAWAII
    §§350-1.1(a)
    350-5
    XXXXX · Employees of recreational or sports activities· Have reason to believe
    IDAHO
    §§16-1619(a), (c)
    16-1620
    X XXXX · Have reason to believe
    · Clergy/penitent
    · Attorney/client
    ILLINOIS
    325 ILCS 5/4
    720 ILCS 5/11-20.2
    XXXXX · Homemakers, substance abuse treatment personnel
    · Christian Science practitioners
    · Funeral home directors
    · Have reasonable cause to believe
    INDIANA
    §§31-33-5-1
    31-33-5-2
    31-32-11-1
    XXXXXX· Staff member of any public or private institution, school, facility, or agency· Have reason to believe
    IOWA
    §§232.69(1)(a)-(b)
    728.14(1)
    XXXXX · Commercial film and photographic print processors
    · Employees of sub-stance abuse programs
    · Reasonably believe
    KANSAS
    §38-1522(a), (b)
    XXXXX · Firefighters
    · Juvenile intake and assessment workers
    · Have reason to suspect
    KENTUCKY
    §§620.030(1), (2)
    620.050(2)
    XXXXXX · Know or have reasonable cause to believe· Attorney/client
    · Clergy/penitent
    LOUISIANA
    Ch. Code art. 603(13)
    Ch. Code art. 609(A)(1)
    Ch. Code art. 610(F)
    XXXXX · Commercial film or photographic print processors
    · Mediators
    · Have cause to believe· Clergy/penitent
    · Christian Science practitioner
    MAINE
    tit. 22, § 4011(1)
    tit. 22, §4015
    XXXXX · Guardians ad litem and CASAs
    · Fire inspectors
    · Commercial film processors
    · Homemakers
    · Know or have reasonable cause to suspect· Clergy/penitent
    MARYLAND
    Family Law
    §§5-704(a)
    5-705(a)
    X XXXX · Have reason to believe· Attorney/client
    · Clergy/penitent
    MASSACHUSETTS
    ch. 119, § 51A
    ch. 119, § 51B
    XXXXX · Drug and alcoholism counselors
    · Probation and parole officers
    · Clerks/magistrates of district courts
    · Firefighters
    MICHIGAN
    §722.623 (1), (8)
    XXXXX · Have reasonable cause to suspect· Attorney/client
    MINNESOTA
    §§626.556 Subd. 3(a), 8
    XXXXX · Know or have reason to believe· Clergy/penitent
    MISSISSIPPI
    §43-21-353(1)
    XXXXXX· Attorneys
    · Ministers
    MISSOURI
    §§210.115(1)
    XXXXX · Persons with responsibility for care of children
    · Probation/parole officers
    · Commercial film processors
    · Attorney/client
    MONTANA
    §41-3-201(1)-(2), (4)
    XXXXX · Guardians ad litem
    · Clergy
    · Religious healers
    · Know or have reasonable cause to suspect· Clergy/penitent
    NEBRASKA
    §§28-711(1)
    28-714
    X XX X · Have reasonable cause to believe
    NEVADA
    §§432B.220(3), (5)
    432B.250
    XXXXX · Clergy
    · Religious healers
    · Alcohol/drug abuse counselors
    · Probation officers
    · Attorneys
    · Know or have reason to believe· Clergy/penitent
    · Attorney/client
    NEW HAMPSHIRE
    §§169-C:29
    169-C:32
    XXXXXX· Christian Science practitioners
    · Clergy
    · Have reason to suspect· Attorney/client
    NEW JERSEY
    §9:6-8.10
    X · Have reasonable cause to believe
    NEW MEXICO
    §§32A-4-3(A)
    32A-4-5(A)
    X XXXX· Judges· Know or have reasonable suspicion
    NEW YORK
    Soc. Serv. Law
    §413(1)
    XXXXX · Alcoholism/substance abuse counselors
    · District Attorneys
    NORTH CAROLINA
    §§7B-301
    7B-310
    X· Any institution· Have cause to suspect· Attorney/client
    NORTH DAKOTA
    §§50-25.1-03
    50-25.1-10
    XXXXX · Clergy
    · Religious healers
    · Addiction counselors
    · Have knowledge of or reasonable cause to suspect· Clergy/penitent
    · Attorney/client
    OHIO
    §2151.421(A)(1), (A)(2), (G)(1)(b)
    XXXX · Attorneys
    · Religious healers
    · Know or suspect· Attorney/client
    · Physician/patient
    OKLAHOMA
    tit. 10, § 7103(A)(1)
    tit. 10, §7104
    tit. 10, §7113
    tit. 21, §1021.4
    X X X· Commercial film and photographic print processors· Have reason to believe
    OREGON
    §§419B.005(3)
    419B.010(1)
    XXXXX · Attorneys
    · Clergy
    · Firefighters
    · CASAs
    · Have reasonable cause to believe· Mental health/ patient
    · Clergy/penitent
    · Attorney/client
    PENNSYLVANIA
    §23-6311(a),(b)
    XXXXX · Funeral directors
    · Clergy
    · Have reasonable cause to suspect· Clergy/penitent
    RHODE ISLAND
    §§40-11-3(a)
    40-11-6(a)
    40-11-11
    X X · Have reasonable cause to know or suspect· Attorney/client
    SOUTH CAROLINA
    §§20-7-510(A)
    20-7-550
    XXXXX · Judges
    · Funeral home directors and employees
    · Film processors
    · Religious healers
    · Substance abuse treatment staff
    · Have reason to believe· Attorney/client
    · Priest/penitent
    SOUTH DAKOTA
    §§26-8A-3
    26-8A-15
    XXXXX · Chemical dependency counselors
    · Religious healers
    · Parole or court services officers
    · Employees of domestic abuse shelters
    TENNESSEE
    §§37-1-403(a)
    37-1-605(a)
    37-1-411
    XXXXXX· Judges
    · Neighbors
    · Relatives
    · Friends
    · Religious healers
    · Knowledge of/reasonably know
    TEXAS
    Family Code
    §§261.101(a)-(c)
    X X X· Juvenile probation or detention officers
    · Employees or clinics that provide reproductive services
    · Have cause to believe
    UTAH
    §§62A-4a-403(1)-(3)
    62A-4a-412(5)
    X X · Have reason to believe
    · Clergy/penitent
    VERMONT
    tit. 33, §4913(a)
    XXXXX · Camp administrators and counselors
    · Probation officers
    VIRGINIA
    §63.1-248.3(A)
    63.1-248.11
    XXXXX · Mediators
    · Probation officers
    · CASAs
    · Have reason to suspect
    WASHINGTON
    §§26.44.030 (1), (2)
    26.44.060(3)
    XXXXX · Any adult with whom a child resides
    · Responsible living skills program staff
    WEST VIRGINIA
    §§49-6A-2
    49-6A-7
    XXXXX · Clergy
    · Religious healers
    · Judges, family law masters or magistrates
    · Reasonable cause to suspect
    · When believe
    · Have observed
    · Attorney/client
    WISCONSIN
    §48.981(2), (2m)(c), (2m)(d)
    XXXXX · Alcohol or drug abuse counselors
    · Mediators
    · Financial and employment planners
    · CASAs
    · Have reason to believe
    WYOMING
    §§14-3-205(a)
    14-3-210
    X · Know or have reasonable cause to believe or suspect
    · Attorney/client
    · Physician/patient
    · Clergy/penitent
    TOTALS, ALL STATES484044464118N/AN/A26

Readers should not rely on this summary for legal advice.

---------------------------------------

Love, Scully

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

What Scully wrote....lol

The issue is one of ‘ecclesiastical privilege’ which some states / countries acknowledge where it comes to child abuse and some do not. What Brown stated in the interview that you mention was that if 'Ceaser' requires such reportage then the WTS abides by this decision, where it does not require reportage of such matters, it is left to the individual concerned to do so. He has also publicly acknowledged in the past that there have been instances where a matter of child-abuse should have been reported to the authorities, as they occurred within a State which required it to be reported but it was not. Rather than apologize and risk a law suit, he blamed such occasions on elders who in his charming words, 'Screw-up", rather than an unethical, dangerous and flawed WTS policy

At present law-making authorities are under the impression that the WTS abides by its public statements but they are not entirely aware that the WTS advises elders in ALL situations to telephone WTS Legal IMMEDIATELY when a case of child-abuse is bought to their notice. This is a ruling that applies around the world and not just the USA. Apart from the unethical behavior in clear moving to protect he WTS Corporations from adverse publicity rather than concern itself with the welfare of its ‘little ones’, the dichotomy between the public statement and the private practice are what persons like Barbara Anderson and Bill Bowen are seeking to force a change over.

Barbara Anderson was disfellowshipped after seeking public attention regarding this issue after many frustrating years of attempting an internal change within the WTS corridors of power, of which she was privy. Brown, announced to the newspapers that she had been coincidentally disfellowshipped for matters that had nothing to do with child-abuse, clearly implying a moral lapse on her part. She is suing the WTS and its representatives for slander. They will no doubt claim that she was DF’d for ‘apostacy’ and not for publicizing their shady agenda, but they are going to have a very tough time proving this, whereas their slander is a matter of public record.

Theodore Jaracz, the architect and vigorous defender of many of WTS policies has himself been accused of child-abuse, though no public evidence has been forthcoming as yet to accompany this accusation. One thing is certain, even if he did not personally abuse children, he abused them by consistently insisting on adherence to policies that have ruined many children’s lives. For this, may he rot in hell.

HS

• DJ
    DJ

Scully,

Thanks. I'll get back to you in a year or two....once I've got that chart all straightened out! LOL....thanks for your effort but it is much to read without playing eyeball tennis out of bounds. LOL, you are a dear Scully! I will do my best to figure it out! Love, dj

Hillary,

I take it that you understand my laughter at Scully's attempt to assist me. I love her, anyway! I suppose I am being lazy and would prefer a little list! LOL !! I am aware of those things you have stated and couldn't agree more with everything you've said! I just had a conversation with my elderly mom last night who did see the CBS broadcast as well as the Dateline interview....she is insisting that the laws of the land are being adhered to, without understanding that the laws are insufficient. I want desperately to help her to see that. I know that she would inderstand that some things are a matter of integrity and morality ....whether it is a law or not. Love to you, dj

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

DJ,

The problem is that most JW's are not elders, abusers, or abused so they do not know the procedures involved and of course trust that all is well in Never-Never Land. It clearly is not. I can tell you that many, many elders who still speak to me...lol, are deeply concerned at their own exposure as they do not trust the WTS to be loyal to them.

I am quite sure that shortly a change in policy will be announced. It will of course be announced as a new 'flash' of light from God, who presumably has been quite content to watch children being abused both by sexual perverts and theological perverts until now. The WTS are Masters of 'spin' ideology. Only they could blame the 1975 debacle on their own adherents and get away with it.

HS

• DJ
    DJ

Yes, Hillary...I totally agree about the elders being a scapegoat for the most part, anyway. My dad (who is dying) has been friends with a wonderful elder named, Benny DiSantis for many years. He is a kind old Italian...broken English speaking man. I remember that whenever he spoke at the kh, which is quite often.....no one could understand anything that he said, except my pop who came from Italy as well. I cannnot imagine Benny ever allowing molestation to go on. However, I do believe that if he called the legal dept. and was told to "Leave it Jehovah" he would do so. I guess that just brings me back to my original question though? I live in Pennsylvania.....I have to wonder if Benny has been told to hush. I have to figure out that LARGE chart of Scully's to see just what my state law is. I will do that later.... I have been on this computer for too much of my day already....LOL...as the laundry piles up...Thanks, love, dj

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Wow Scully, this is fantastic! What a resource you are. I am going to print this off for reference in the future. Thank you so much!

• Scully
    Scully

DJ:

I apologize for the size of the chart... I copied and pasted it from the website I referenced at the top of my post. I did try to make it smaller but was not able to re-format it.

About ecclesiastical privilege: the WTS and many elders rely on this as a loophole to weasel out of doing the right thing, namely what is in the best interest of the child involved. By definition, ecclesiastical privilege requires that a minister or priest who has heard confession NOT repeat what they have heard in confession to ANYONE. Period. That's it, that's all.

Does this happen with JW elders? First of all, the formal confession process - as it exists in the Catholic church - is a concept that JWs denounce as repugnant and unscriptural. So how can they claim its use when they don't even endorse it?

Secondly, take a close look at the procedure that is used by JWs: an abused child goes to the elders to report that a congregation member has molested them. Is this a confession of sin?? No, it is a report of someone who has been violated to a spiritual leader, with the expectation that the wrong will be set right. It usually occurs in the presence of TWO elders, which further does not conform to the strict definition of ecclesiastical privilege. When the elders decide to form an investigative committee and approach the accused, that is another breach of anything resembling ecclesiastical privilege.

If the accused confesses to the molestation, a judicial committee is formed, bringing in at least a THIRD elder into the equation. Sometimes the investigative committee is completely different from the judicial committee, so that means at least THREE MORE people are told about the accusations. If the decision is to disfellowship the offender, he or she has the right to demand an appeal, meaning that another judicial committee must be formed, therefore at least THREE MORE elders become involved.

This procedure - in no way, shape or form - bears any resemblance to the strict definitions (as set out in law) of ecclesiastical privilege. There have been two cases to my knowledge in Canada that have been precedent setting in their respective Provinces, that state unequivocally that JW procedure does not constitute ecclesiastical privilege, and therefore, it cannot be claimed by them.

If a child approaches an elder to report being molested by a congregation member, that elder has a "common law" duty to report it to the authorities. This is above and beyond the normal moral and legal expectation incumbent on any citizen. This was covered in the preliminary hearing in the Berry case in NH.

added by edit: Oh, and one more thing: ecclesiastical privilege is for cases where the WRONGDOER confesses to a crime/sin/whatever, not where a traumatized victim goes to a priest/minister for help to seek justice.

Love, Scully

• shadow
    shadow

A good resource for the US

http://www.calib.com/nccanch/

This is a federal government site and includes all state statutes

• DJ
    DJ

That is the link to the precise location for state by state laws for reporting abuse. I've found it!! Thanks Shadow, for the site.

Scully,

Ohhhhh, I know.....it's just terrible. Thanks for all of your help!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit