Possible Military Coup in Turkey!

by cofty 39 Replies latest social current

• Simon
    Simon
    If anyone should be sorting Syria and ISIS out it's the rest of the Arab world. The only real chance of restoring the area back to some semblance of order is if Muslim peacekeepers are there. Where the hell are the Saudis, the UAE and so on? They should be leading things. We've given them enough weapons.

Because they would rather manipulate idiot western leaders into doing their fighting for them than get their own hands dirty and risk the unrest that would topple their corrupt regimes.

And our idiot leaders fall for it over and over again. We end up fighting for one side in a sectarian war and taking all the heat for it while they live in luxury and never commit any forces to the fighting.

Here's the kicker: so many Muslims put their hatred of the west down to the delay in getting involved in peacekeeping in Kosovo ... and also to the eagerness getting involved anywhere else. We are blamed whatever we do or don't do.

They are a loser civilization with a giant humongous chip on it's shoulder that thinks everything is everyone else's fault while they create rubble out of any place they touch.

Let's hope that Turkey swings towards secularism and choses "civilization" and doesn't get dragged into the radical muslim bronze age.

We certainly can't justify carpet bombing cities when we have the capability of performing more precise targeting but I also think that we don't weigh up the costs well enough - far more people may die in the long run in a drawn out conflict limited to surgical strikes vs a more destructive but shorter campaign.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Maybe the Turkish military is getting sick and tired of thier leaders doing nothing against ISIS. Maybe they want to do something maybe thier not pro ISIS at all.

• jwleaks
    jwleaks

Wonder how the new UK foreign secretary would go offering assistance to the Turkish president.

Turkish president (to UK Prime Minister Theresa May): "Will the UK honor their commitment to bring about a stable Turkish community?"

UK Prime Minister May: "I'll have our foreign secretary issue a statement on our position."

UK Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson (reading statement): "There was young fellow from Ankara, who was a terrific wankerer. Till he sowed his wild oats, with the help of a goat but he didn't even stop to thankera."

• DJS
    DJS

Erdogan has been waging a war with Turkey"s military leadership. No doubt he has been placing loyalists - and Islamists - in key mitary positions the past few years in addition to removing secularist military leaders.

The police forces are likely more Islamist than secular. The poor and the rural as well.

This could get ugly. If the coup leaders don't have a great plan and overwheling numbers in the military it will get very ugly.

Erdogan"s true colors are sharia fundamentalism. That's his default setting.

• problemaddict 2
    problemaddict 2

This is still hard to call. Erdogan is a wack job no question. If the military is more secular, I certainly welcome that. But if they are shooting people in the streets as appears to be the case, you have the potential to delve into flat out civil war.

Instability in the region makes Putin horny i believe, and honestly........its just one more thing.

The middle east, the followers of Islam, and those that sympathize with radical Islam.......seem to all have lost their freaking minds recently.

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

Whatever you think of Erdogan and his politics, you have to admit, he is a player.

Most leaders would say to their people, keep safe during this insurgency, stay indoors until we have thing under control. Erdogan: Get out onto the streets and protest/fight. They responded, the coup failed.

I have to say that over all, much as I would like to see the back of this oppressive regime, democracy should trump revolution. Maybe the result is for the good.

• DJS
    DJS

The West's underwheliming response is enough to anger Erdogan.Without a doubt he is in the process of torturing, I mean interrogating, the military leaders responsible.

He will want to ask Obama if the US had Intel on the attempted coup. I believe he has already closed the airbase the US was using.

The US should be smart enough to have rock solid deniability. If not, the coup leaders aren't the only ones acting like Keystone Cops.

Either way, Erdogan will retreat further into Islamville, purge the military further and make his dual path toward the EU/ NATO and Sharia fundamentalism ever harder to travel.

Maybe that was the plan, make him choose. What a mess.

• DJS
    DJS

2 things.

1. Erdogan is using democray to create a personal kingdom along the same lines as every other Arab and Islamic dictator the past 50 years. That 700M $ palace he is building for himself replete with gold plumbing is more like Baghdad, Riyadh, Damascus and those in Egypt and Libya under Mubarik and Khadafi than Bonn, Paris, London and Washington DC.

He has no intention of leaving it. And like Saddams final years his rule is becoming more Islamist by the day. The word democracy is loosely applied to Erdogan

2. What we have found out about Gulen the last few days suggests US intelligence has been monitoring his every email, phone call, text and conversation for a long time. He would be a treasure trove of intel. The 2 way communications between him and whomever in Turkey or anywhere else would be gold and make up for a lack of human intel on the ground, which is always the major and critical gap for Intel collection. No intel agency would pass up such an opportunity.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Will it be good for the Kurds if Turkey does fuck up...the west will get some balls and give the Kurds their own homeland.Poor sods.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Agree, Diogenesister - the Kurds (Turkish, Syrian, Iraqi, Iranian) deserve their own country. Isn't it funny how Western liberals consistently agitate over Palestine but have nearly nothing to say about Kurdistan?

BTW, I hope this failed coup puts Turkey's eligibility for EU membership backwards, about another 100 years or so ...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit