Have you ever gotten a straight answer? If yes, what was it?

by Tenacious 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Tenacious
    Tenacious

The light continues to get brighter, yada, yada, yada.

But, the bottom line is the watchtower claims EVERYTHING comes from jehovah. Books, magazines, videos, assemblies, to JW broadcast, to GB appointments, to dramas, even the music and Sophia and Caleb. Heck, they would claim jehovah provides the toilet paper if they could.

So everything comes from jehovah, right? The assemblies and weekly meetings are filled with abundant food from jehovah's table. My goodness how many times have we heard those words!

The BIG question I have for practicing witnesses is:

If teachings have to be continually "clarified" where did the original teachings come from?

Many times in the past I held my spouse's feet to the fire (not literally of course) asking this same question.

Her answer was always the same? "They are imperfect men trying their best." Nowadays, she's more receptive and actually admits that they shouldn't be name dropping. Today, she's not active and rarely attends but she's very much a JW mentally.

About a month before I stopped attending I asked a brother who I had known for over 20 years the same question. His answer:

"Yes, you're right, they shouldn't be claiming that everything comes from jehovah. They shouldn't do that."

Even still, last I heard, he's still very much involved and going strong. What craziness.

• HappyBlessedFree
    HappyBlessedFree

So your wife is inactive but still mentally in! How long has it been? That’s what I’m worried about with my husband. He has chosen to stop attending but when he overheard me calling it a cult he said don’t talk about my religion like that.

• Tenacious
    Tenacious

@HappyBlessedFree

She still attends the black mass memorial and may pop in to a Sunday assembly day but no hall meetings in almost 5 years.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

If teachings have to be continually "clarified" where did the original teachings come from?

The truthful answer = from both secular ignorance and theological ignorance.

The people who started this religion/publishing house were not academically trained bible scholars, so their ignorance got taught to other in acceptance and a religious organization grew from that with a structure of power for the top leading men..

If light eventually appears to these men why did it take the fact that all the people (Generation) who saw the events of 1914 die off before the GB members got new light and made the overlapping doctrine ?, which by the way has no real scriptural support.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

They give joke-hova credit for what they really should credit their own efforts, the efforts of other humans, and science. Isn't that also what they did the last time we had a Dark Ages? And I think it is why we had a dark age--which is what we get when science is thrown out and joke-hova, allah, or jesus gets credit for anything instead.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Many people leave the religion ,but the religion never leaves them .

I discovered this years ago and it always puzzled me till I realised they just never question what it is/was they were taught or believed .

They are quite happy to have someone that they have put on a pedestal to tell them what to believe , thinking that it takes the onus off of them for any responsibility of their own actions .

They are stuck in a sort of Limbo of their own making.

Is it a subconscious fear of learning they have been deceived all of there life ?And they don`t want to be confronted with it ?

And because of not researching anything at all of what they believe ,they are fence sitters just in case JW`s are right ? After all.

Just my 2 cents worth.

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

They like to claim the authority of their writings as from God, without the responsibility that goes along with such a claim .... such as accuracy.

• Solzhenitsyn
    Solzhenitsyn

What I used to tell dissenting, doubting, apostates was.....drumroll...."the Truth never changes but our understanding of it does.

• zeb
    zeb

when did I get a straight answer? when i asked my wife for sex.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Good point Sea Breeze but it should realized that there are hundreds of other Christian organizations that proclaim the very same thing.

Oppose their doctrines and you oppose god.

.........its power thing from a psychological viewpoint but shuuuush about it

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit