At this point in time and onward, how technology may send the human race back to the stone age...

by Bad_Wolf 8 Replies latest social current

• Bad_Wolf
    Bad_Wolf

For thousands of years, the human race has slowly advanced by learning and mastering professions and grouping into cities allowing specializations. These trades were passed directly and through books. But everything until recently began with the ground up. Human labor to mine and gather core materials. Human labor to design and create electronics. And computer programming, from binary to what we have today. But something is about to change......

Computers and programming are rapidly evolving and robotics is now in play. Computers began with binary coding, and there are still programmers alive today that were involved with that. Websites were initially developed hand coding HTML, etc. Now applications and templates handle that. Robotics and the future will automate many things that had required human labor and thinking. As technology advances, the core components and building blocks are automated and tailed onto the previous advancements. As the years go by, and stack upon stack of technology happens, it will be impossible for people then to learn and understand all of the steps and master them up to what is current. Many things are becoming electronic, and less need of books.

Now imagine 50, 100, 500, 1000, 5000 years from now all technology that was based on the developments of our time are forgotten but used from AI, automation, robotics, etc. Clothing, food, resource gathering, all largely automated as well. Human civilization is well advanced and all occupations from our time period are the equivalent to when people would spin wool to make cloth, black smiths to create tools, etc, all things of the past.

A catastrophe then happens, a global EMP, which destroys all electronics. Without the technology, people have long forgot farming, hunting, building, gathering resources by hand. Most all if not all of that knowledge by then is electronic based. All technology and electronics need to be redeveloped from scratch. No existing or older devices work. But prior to all of that, people need to figure out how to farm, hunt, eat, make clothes, etc, how to survive without the technology.

Perhaps this is a form of how some advanced ancient civilizations vanished. A large scale plague or disaster wiped out all of the skilled tradesmen and they had to start again from scratch?

It makes me wonder if humans will advance and only continually advance, then spread to other planets and always keep advancing. Or if an endless cycle will happen in which building up to becoming completely reliant on technology and advancing past that technology to the point that when inevitable catastrophe's happen, they start all over again.

• cofty
    cofty

Don't worry there will always be geeks who learn HTML and CSS just for the hell of it.

To be fair, despite the myths, there are probably no ancient skills that can't be performed better by modern-day craftsmen and women.

• Bad_Wolf
    Bad_Wolf
    Don't worry there will always be geeks who learn HTML and CSS just for the hell of it.
    To be fair, despite the myths, there are probably no ancient skills that can't be performed better by modern-day craftsmen and women.

That is with modern tools and technology. Try building the pyramids or Petra with what they had today. But also, the situation can not be compared.

Take these trades/professions = Farming - people experimenting with seeds over time became skilled farmer profession with simple tools and natural solutions utilizing what they have immediately in their vicinity, became farmers using machines and fertilizers, and in the future it may be all automated machines.

= Metal working / tools - simple tools with sticks and stones to make tools, combined eventually with mining, surveying, and forging, (all different professions), then you have blacksmith, then industrial revolution has machines doing most of the hard work but still humans operating the machines and involved in every step of the process, in the future humans may be eliminated from quite a few of the steps with automation and robotics.

= computer programming = binary, cobol, C, if you look at the history and evolution, modern programming methods and languages came from the early ones. The best way I can think to explain the future problem is this.......this website itself. It could have been developed using templates and help. A button that indicated to insert a text box, how to store the information into the database, etc. But behind all of that, HTML, asp, java, SQL, etc were used even though the person who built it would not have needed to known them. If suddenly had to start from scratch, if they did the same work they did, had some template with commands, it would all do nothing without all the backend coding that was automatically written. In the far future from now, how many templates upon templates, and languages upon languages will be written and made, that allow people to make electronics and programs that using todays technology would have taken thousands upon thousands of hours. Or imagine building a website coding in binary. If all computer technology was wiped out today, people still alive who were part of the original buildup of computers. They really started to advance in the 60's + then in the 80's for personal computers, etc. Books, people, etc, all still alive and it could be redone. But when technology advances quickly, and hundreds+ years from now, binary, cobol, c, still in the very deep roots but they are long forgotten. While all of that is happening, robotics are taking over all trades and much of human labor that even today at least has humans controlling the machines. If something happens to wipe out that technology, then unless it was somehow well preserved, not in electronic form only, or not in decayed books, many things can be back at square one.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

I'm not sure myself, how this new development in human history will progress. However, since this is about AIm which Simon has declared is mostly about the recognition of patterns, I will comment that in the past most developments have eventually failed to have the feared effect, and some have actually worked out as beneficial. Maybe that is because I tend to look at things from a positive viewpoint.

Will that happen in this case? I guess it is possible, but given human behaviour (one thing that I'm negative about) it may not. For example robotics and AI can replace workers. Once 'wharfies,' the workers who once unloaded ships were many. The number of wharfies has dwindled over the past 50 years. For example in the port of Qingdao (China) about 7th in world in terms of tonnage, only 9 workers are now required as it is now automated. (See - https://news.cgtn.com/news/3d637a4e31677a4d/share_p.html )

More and more ports in China are being automated, Shanghai's Yangshan port, often the largest in the world in terms of freights throughput is also automated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzOeAGAu60k

Currently, (as I understand the situation) most workers are absorbed in other industries, which may be true since China is said by some western commentators to have a labour shortage. But that sort of situation cannot continue. But what could happen is that working hours could be reduced gradually from the present (in most western countries) from a 5 day week to a 4 day week and even a 3 day week. Where would that process end. I've got no idea!

But here's someone who claims he's considered the possibilities. His name is Lee Kaifu and this is his TED lecture: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajGgd9Ld-Wc&feature=share&fbclid=IwAR1aTiNJavaj5fnrXmkKByPS35cS2eFzYe2wF6E5pSsj2qZc4pEpLnRSMUA

I appreciate that's not an answer to your apocalyptic vision of a human catastrophe, but projecting a narrow vision into such a time-scale cannot have a realistic answer.

• Bad_Wolf
    Bad_Wolf

I'll check the vid in a few but with extinctions and disasters, I think it's inevitable, whether 100, 1000, 15,000 years.

As for things in our own lifetime or immediate futures with loss of jobs due to automation and robotics....it has to happen to free up resources to further advance humanity. Once laundry and dishes became automated, clothing was mass produced, electric stoves, refrigerators, etc, all freed up the time that wives/mothers would spend full time on taking care of the household while the husband/father earned the money, allowed for all of that extra labor. Many jobs are being eliminated, but that can open for future technologies creating demand for new jobs and industries.

At some point, supply of labor may far exceed demand, and the result will be some major growing pains as society and incomes are rethought or population control measures happen. (as have already happened in China, etc).

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

And then Bad_Wolf, there are other optimists. Of course, this university may be just touting for busines (i.e. more students) but if sincere see a different future - but clearly not for anyone disinclined to study. But, I'm imagining that it will be difficult to program a machine to wash many different types/sizes of windows. But then, i've jusst been reminded future machines may be able to look at window and program itself to wash it clean... so there go the window washing jobs also.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/workplace/future-proof-your-career-with-the-right-skills-20190129-p50udb.html

• Bad_Wolf
    Bad_Wolf

Window washing will be similar to the port video you linked if not already. Least for tall rise buildings. And or window washing drones

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

Bad_Wolf

Why are you concerned? Jehober is going to make everything wonderful in the "new world"--right?

just saying!

• blondie
    blondie

or farther

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit