You heard it here first. U.S. District conventions CANCELLED!

by nowwhat? 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• nowwhat?
    nowwhat?

Prudent decision even if the pandemic is over you are going to have people that

Lost jobs can't afford to go

Not allowed any vacation time rest of year

And many still afraid to be in big crowds.

• Magnum
    Magnum

Are you saying that they are officially cancelled, or are you predicting that they will be?

• sir82
    sir82

Officially cancelled.

Convention talks to be delivered via JW Broadcasting, talks given by GB members and "helpers".

This will be a serious blow to the WTS finances. Conventions were far and away the biggest money makers they had. I used to work in & around the accounting department a few years, there were gobs and gobs of cash, mountains of it (this was in the years prior to accepting credit / debit cards).

Yes, you can now donate online, but given the number of older JWs who don't understand out "what's this new-fangled thingy called oof-mail or eef-mail or whatnot?" and who can't figure out how to get Zoom to work, let alone make any sort of online payment, contributions will undoubtedly plummet.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I don't have the money to waste on this stupidity even in a normal year. Even if I was making $500,000 per hour, it would not be worth it. And I usually feel more drained after one of these wastefests than after working. Also, would it be wise to attend such an event even if the pandemic is winding down? That would be a good way to get it started right back up.

I can remember attending one of these Grand Boasting Sessions where everyone came back and got a nice flu after. I never got that flu. But, it does highlight that, even in the absence of a pandemic, it is still dangerous to attend these things (and it wasn't just food poisoning because that usually peaks 2 or 3 days after and this flu was lasting 2 weeks). No, I am not that worried about catching coronavirus and especially after dodging the flu so much and that I am taking vitamins that increase the chance of getting mild or no illness. But I am not so stupid that I am willing to risk even that going to one of those wastefests.

Not to mention the money wasted. I still don't know whether I am actually going to see that "stimulus" or my employer is going to try and take it out of my pay. And I am not sure I will not be forced to miss work, either because of a quarantine or because the whole place will be locked down for several weeks. To waste money on frivolous and stupid things like this is just plain stupid. I get negative benefit from these things (which, spending money on such is stupid even if times are normal because it programs the soul to be poor). So why waste time and money on it?

• Las Malvinas son Argentinas
    Las Malvinas son Argentinas

There goes my summer

plans.

• LV101
    LV101

Maybe it was just being pondered but heard everything was cancelled out west. Who knows - I'm shocked the Governing Goons would take measures to protect anyone but the sheeples are their slush fund investment.

• millie210
    millie210

The org is a perfect example of a non essential business that needs to shut down.

• Biahi
    Biahi

I heard it was announced, but since it was on April 1st, I waited to see if it was a joke. I guess it isn’t a joke. Good, I hope WT loses due to less donations. 😋

• minimus
    minimus

The end of religion as was foretold by the Witnesses!

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5

Sir82 absolutely nailed it, I know a few that loved putting piles of cash in the box, at least one of those won’t contribute a dime electronically and I think you could multiply that by thousands of individuals.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit