How do you deal with the smoke?

by compound complex 44 Replies latest jw friends

• compound complex
    compound complex

Greetings:

I hope you're not dealing with wildfires in your area. Currently, California is under siege. We, in the Sierra Nevada foothills, had our major conflagration last October and needed to evacuate. The smoke from fires both north and south of us is choking the skies and us vulnerable little people on the ground.

Walking a client's dog last night, I was gasping for air after a near incident of leash aggression. The smoke and my initial anxiety over the dog's behavior set me off. This morning, there was no doggie misbehavior, but the heavy skies had me panting. Since this has never happened to me before, I feel it must be the dirty skies of many, many days now. The streets here have been lined with some half-dozen tree care companies, trimming back the lush growth of pines and oaks. Some neighbors are even removing their ground covers and ornamental shrubs that are deemed potential "fire ladders."

The news said the unrelenting, heavy smoke is bad for everyone, not just sensitive types. Have you ever dealt with the like?

Thoughts are welcome.

• compound complex
  • compound complex
  • Perry
    Perry

I deal with hurricanes, hail storms and small house fires in my restoration business. I have never experienced anything like you all are experiencing right now out in Cali.

Be safe and don't take chances!

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thank you, Perry.

No matter where we live, there are forces of nature to deal with. I appreciate your post.

Taking no chances.

• blownaway
    blownaway

I just moved out of Florida. Irma chased me out. Done with that crap, No food or water for a month. I would not live in California on a bet. High taxes, government over reach, and oppressive restrictions. Screw California.

• waton
    waton

The right amount of smoke from far away fires actually has a beautiful effect, tinting the "white" sun golden long before sundown, creating a golden shaft on the ocean waters stretching to the horizon.

Please do not get burned.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

COCO:

I know all about this. My relatives had to deal with this last month. They got lucky- but what about next time?

They were all packed with Go bags and more. Terrible air quality...They sprayed down the house with water from their pool. But, this wouldn’t stop the raging fire ball if it got close enough! This sucks about California.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thank you, blownaway, Waton, and LHG:

We're always on edge because the threat has become year round. Then follow the mudslides.

Will Durant wrote, "Mankind exists by geological consent, subject to change without notice." Does climate change figure in similarly?

Thanks again!

• JRK
    JRK

I just got back from California last month, and it has been dry and incredibly hot! You are sitting ducks for these fires.

Stay safe,

JK

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit