Did you fear the elders more than God?

by JH 13 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

Did you fear the elders more than God?

I think that the members of the congregation were afraid of being caught by the elders if they done something wrong. But on the other hand they felt close to God and asked forgiveness if they done something wrong.

I think that there was an exagerated fear of the elders, as if they were equal to God.

What do you think, in a way, did you fear the elders more than God?

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

In these days of increasing questions, this is a very good one!

God is feared by the dubs in quite a different way to fearing the elders, as you've pointed out. The fear of the elders centres around their "big stick" approach. The R&F have to comply with their every word, or else! Punishment is feared.

With God, fear is not a fear of punishment at all, since we know that God is a loving Father. At least the dubs got that right!

Cheers, Ozzie

• ozziepost
  • JH
    JH

I also felt that members of the congregation feared the elders more than God. God forgives, but the elders don't.

• jgnat
    jgnat

JH, you have just got to stop doing that! I loved your original comments! I am a never JW, but as an outsider looking in, it looks like the elders are feared far more. Hence the emphasis on external cleanliness (which man can see). Can anyone spell Far-I-See?

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

I saw the original comments too! Wot's up?

• JH
    JH

I think that fear and control goes hand in hand. If you fear the elders, you will accept their control over you. And that's what they want you to feel. Fear...

Where there is control and fear, how can you have love?

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Yep. Isn't there a scripture that says "love throws fear outside"?

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Uh huh, I think it was that way for the majority of the Witnesses (past/present/future) - fear of the elders.

Jehovah? yeah right...

• kes152
    kes152

I'll be honest. I USED to fear the elders.. terribly. I mean, I was so scared I thought I used the restroom on myself (in my suit..LOL) whenever I went to the kingdom hall to tell them what I was hearing. It was horrible. And what was WORSE.. was having to go to my Father through my Son and having to continually confess my FEAR before Him and wondering what He was going to say to me. It was the worst feeling in the world to be afraid of men.. and on top of that, having to go tell my Lord that I did not do what He asked of me.

Now, due to a year of abuse, persecution, fear, hate, pain with tears, feeling alone and wanting affection but being denied it physically, and hated because of "who I am" and who someone "is not," I now DON'T CARE. I have been abused and persectued so badly that ANYTHING that the elders can do to me will have NO EFFECT on me. I can now tell them freely and with love anything the Holy Spirit says to me to tell them. Whatever it was that caused me to fear them is GONE. I been through so much now it has ironically made me stronger in my Lord and more useful to Him. I can now do almost anything He tells me and not have to think "Oh, I can't do that.. i'm afraid." I have nothing to fear. Even if they killed me in the flesh, believe me, they'd probably be doing me a favor.

But, for the sake of them NOT being able to say "Well, no one told us," on Judgement Day, I WANT to live to give them a THOROUGH witness to "who" they are, and "who they are not" and who the REAL truth is, and what the REAL good news from heaven is. Indeed, they will be without excuse.

Peace to you,

Aaron

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit