Possible crack in the door that I can expose

by WasOnceBlind 8 Replies latest jw experiences

• WasOnceBlind
    WasOnceBlind

So on Monday when I went to pick up my son from my mom I noticed a framed print out of a poem on my moms living room. It was in spanish but I read it and I was kind of surprised at what it said. I don't remember it verbatim but I would go as far as to say it had some apostate factors in there. The poem was about a man who has been resurrected after armageddon, it tells the story about him looking for relatives or others he knew and expected to see. However, he keeps finding people he never expected to see there. The point of the poem was that only God truly knows who will be resurrected.

What caught my attention was a line in the poem where this man sees this woman he didn't expect to see there because every time he went knocking at her door to preach she would reject the witnesses.....WHAT?! I could have sworn one of their doctrines stated that they are the only way to salvation, and that those who reject them are doomed to die in armageddon. Couldn't this line be taken as apostasy? It is in direct contradiction of that teaching.

• TheListener
    TheListener

In my opinion there is a difference between the actual teaching and how most dubs rationalize it in their lives.

My wife would never agree that only witnesses will survive to the new system but she wouldn't disagree with the WTS viewpoint either. Weird right?

Maybe the lady that rejected his door knocking efforts did die at armageddon and was resurrected? That would fit dub theology.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

In my opinion there is a difference between the actual teaching and how most dubs rationalize it in their lives.

My wife would never agree that only witnesses will survive to the new system but she wouldn't disagree with the WTS viewpoint either. Weird right?

Maybe the lady that rejected his door knocking efforts did die at armageddon and was resurrected? That would fit dub theology.

Agreed. When I said something about how JWs believe that only JWs will survive armageddon, she responded "I've never believed that." A friend of mine similarly refuted that belief, indicating that he believed that J will read the hearts of everyone on earth. My question, then, was why are we bothering to preach if he's going to read everyone's heart? If they don't have to do anything more than be good at heart, then why are we going around telling people 'what god requires of them' and just let them be? That's when they start inventing their own theology and saying things about how loving the organization is and how it's the best way of life.

I myself struggled with this teaching and had to tell myself that they'd gotten it wrong, but that was one of my major doubts. I guess if you're the type that really wants truth, you'll see that pulling one string quickly causes the whole thing to come apart. If you're just in it for the social support or a sense of self-righteousness, you can invent a hastily stacked house of cards made from excuses and as long as you don't touch it, it stays up.

Then there's the spiteful, bigoted, self-righteous JWs (usually elders) who wholeheartedly believe that anyone who's not a JW will die at armageddon.

As for the JW theology allowing for the woman to die at armageddon and be resurrected - I don't think that's correct. I think for her to make it she would've had to die moments before armageddon, but if she lasted to armageddon and god had to be the one to kill her, he doesn't bring her back. If, after all, god kills her at armageddon only to bring her back, this could not possibly be just. If Jesus died for everyone's sins, then this would be a needless death.

• sir82
    sir82

Absolutely true.

To see this in action, just ask any JW if, when Armageddon comes, will Jehovah really slaughter every single person on the face of the earth, if not a JW? Including babies? The mentally handicapped? Someone with a "good heart" but just never got a witness before?

Official JW doctrine is "Yes, Jehovah will slaughter everyone", but 99% of JWs won't have the courage to accept that. They will rationalize all sorts of things so Jehovah appears somewhat less monstrous.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    Even though the Borg has said no one will survive if not a witness people can't get through their heads it's hard to think about , so most think that heart condition will come into it and some will survive.
  • tim3l0rd
    tim3l0rd

Mine is the same. No matter how many times I show her a WT that says that only JWs will survive she rationalizes it away. She personally believes that many more will survive, but still somehow thinks that preaching is necessary to save everyone.

• WasOnceBlind
    WasOnceBlind
    Yes, I dont think my mom believes that either. My grandfather died about two years ago, she would alway try preaching to him but he never became a witness. He was a good person thought. She always talks about seeing him again in paradise. I don't have the heart to tell her, "well according to WT teachings...he won't be there"
  • TheListener
    TheListener

OEJ, you're right, if memory serves me right a person that hears the "truth" but doesn't accept it and dies at armageddon - is done done done. If a person never heard the "truth" and dies at armageddon - they get resurrected.

Clear as mud.

• Faithful Witness
    Faithful Witness

OneEyedJoe: That's when they start inventing their own theology and saying things about how loving the organization is and how it's the best way of life.

This is exactly what my mother did, in a recent conversation I had with her.

She then proposed the question, "Would you have wasted your life, if you died and found out that none of it was true after all?"

... and I said, "Of course not. I wouldn't regret being good and doing my best... I do that now. ... (pause)... OR how about... you get to the end, and realize, (gasp) OH NO! There IS a Hell!!"

She smirked at that, and simply said, "Oh yeah... I was GLAD to get rid of that idea!"

Wow, Mom... really?? *smh

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit