A Wide-ranging discussion both fascinating and sometimes enlightening

by TerryWalstrom 4 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• TerryWalstrom
    TerryWalstrom

Rubin is a gay Atheist formerly affiliated with The Young Turks, Ben Shapiro is an Orthodox Jew who mainly comments on politics from a Conservative POV. Dr. Jordan B Peterson is a Professor of Psychology at the University of Toronto, a clinical psychologist, a public speaker.
    ____
    None of these men is interested in discussing politics in this discussion, rather in centering on the overlap between rational, secular belief and any underlying religious truth which may be hidden in mythos.

I know that sounds like the most boring thing possible--but--I assure you it is riveting.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1opHWsHr798&t=3112s

If you watch through to the last hour, the topic is brilliantly deconstructed with an honesty and intelligence rarely witnessed in live events.

• cofty
    cofty

Thanks for the link. I will listen to it later. Shapiro and Ruben are always interesting. I find Peterson profoundly infuriating. He waffles endlessly and says precisely nothing.

From the YouTube comments section — ‘Can you imagine ordering a pizza with Jordan. After 30 minutes of his analyzing each topping, he’s gotten to the five hierarchical toppings that merit further scrutiny’. (3.8K Likes)

• OneGenTwoGroups
    OneGenTwoGroups

Starting from left to right, we've got Christian Deepak Chopra, an opportunist that thinks building codes is a dumb idea, and somebody that wouldn't go to Rubin's gay anniversary party.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Ben Shapiro seems to be a fiercely intelligent person.

I find it difficult to warm to him, TBH, but he does make his points and debate well.

I saw an exchange between him and Dave Rubin, a discussion of the death penalty. Rubin was against it and the way Shapiro questioned Rubin's beliefs was something to see. Fair play to Rubin, too, for putting himself under the spotlight.

• TerryWalstrom
    TerryWalstrom

Dave Rubin is an honest thinker. He's willing to be wrong when facts strike down his firmly held beliefs. He had to pull away from the ideology of The Young Turks when it became clear to him what they were really about.

Ben Shapiro is a wunderkind with a very fast and facile mind. His debating skills are deadly. He comes off as a babyface - but that's not his fault :)

The striking thing about this video, IMHO, is how people who are different can argue volatile subjects without rancor or slimy tricks and name-calling because they are searching for something genuine.

I see Jordan Peterson as spontaneous-- a person who thinks as-he-is-speaking. He doesn't have a prepared canned speech. The thoughtful way he reasons strikes me as intellectually honest.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit