A Wide-ranging discussion both fascinating and sometimes enlightening

by TerryWalstrom 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• TerryWalstrom
    TerryWalstrom

Rubin is a gay Atheist formerly affiliated with The Young Turks, Ben Shapiro is an Orthodox Jew who mainly comments on politics from a Conservative POV. Dr. Jordan B Peterson is a Professor of Psychology at the University of Toronto, a clinical psychologist, a public speaker.
    ____
    None of these men is interested in discussing politics in this discussion, rather in centering on the overlap between rational, secular belief and any underlying religious truth which may be hidden in mythos.

I know that sounds like the most boring thing possible--but--I assure you it is riveting.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1opHWsHr798&t=3112s

If you watch through to the last hour, the topic is brilliantly deconstructed with an honesty and intelligence rarely witnessed in live events.

• cofty
    cofty

Thanks for the link. I will listen to it later. Shapiro and Ruben are always interesting. I find Peterson profoundly infuriating. He waffles endlessly and says precisely nothing.

From the YouTube comments section — ‘Can you imagine ordering a pizza with Jordan. After 30 minutes of his analyzing each topping, he’s gotten to the five hierarchical toppings that merit further scrutiny’. (3.8K Likes)

• OneGenTwoGroups
    OneGenTwoGroups

Starting from left to right, we've got Christian Deepak Chopra, an opportunist that thinks building codes is a dumb idea, and somebody that wouldn't go to Rubin's gay anniversary party.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Ben Shapiro seems to be a fiercely intelligent person.

I find it difficult to warm to him, TBH, but he does make his points and debate well.

I saw an exchange between him and Dave Rubin, a discussion of the death penalty. Rubin was against it and the way Shapiro questioned Rubin's beliefs was something to see. Fair play to Rubin, too, for putting himself under the spotlight.

• TerryWalstrom
    TerryWalstrom

Dave Rubin is an honest thinker. He's willing to be wrong when facts strike down his firmly held beliefs. He had to pull away from the ideology of The Young Turks when it became clear to him what they were really about.

Ben Shapiro is a wunderkind with a very fast and facile mind. His debating skills are deadly. He comes off as a babyface - but that's not his fault :)

The striking thing about this video, IMHO, is how people who are different can argue volatile subjects without rancor or slimy tricks and name-calling because they are searching for something genuine.

I see Jordan Peterson as spontaneous-- a person who thinks as-he-is-speaking. He doesn't have a prepared canned speech. The thoughtful way he reasons strikes me as intellectually honest.

• OneGenTwoGroups
    OneGenTwoGroups

How ironic.

Shapiro has said more than once that he wouldn't go to a Jew/ non-Jew wedding.

Ahh. Religious bigotry at its finest.

But yet let's promote him on THIS forum?

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Jorden Peterson is a waffler who seems to find it constitutionally impossible to answer a question without going off on a tangent. Interestingly, he always seems to do so when the questions get tough. He’s either a fool or dishonestly riding the gravy train.

Ben Shapiro is intelligent but has this massive blind spot when it comes to religion. I can’t take him seriously for this reason as he is intellectually dishonest.

Dave Ruben is sweet but again finds himself desperately trying to come to terms (literally) with people on the religious right ( like Shapiro) who would put us back into the dark ages. Rubin being a gay, married man tries to reason with these people who truth be told he has no business contenancing for a second. Yes, we need dialogue ( Ruben is a free speech champion)but only up to a point. These idiots would dismantle Ruben’s whole life, if they could.

But yet let's promote him on THIS forum?
    I agree OnegenTwogroups. I think Terry should dig a little deeper into these people.
  • Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

NB Chis Hitchens would wipe the floor with these people. [sigh] How I miss him.

• Simon
    Simon

The conservative space is where real, open, meaningful discussion happens right now. The left is vapid ranting and screaming, nothing more. It's devoid of ideas and thinking.

The long-form interviews that Dave Rubin does really shows up what an abject failure the mainstream media is. They produce garbage, endlessly, and with all their resources and revenue, completely fail to inform anyone of anything.

Kudos to Rubin for showing the interview he did with Larry Elder who "embarrassed him" by forcing him to question some of his assumptions about racism. Seeing someone realize and admit they were wrong about something is uncommon and he deserves credit for it. Interviewers shouldn't arrive with agendas that they want to promote, they should seek to allow their guests the space to explain their ideas and facilitate the process.

We saw Rubin and Peterson live in Calgary a few months back, definitely an interesting lecture. Jordon does seem to like to figure out what he thinks about things by talking about them but he's a clever guy who's very direct.

The IDW show that you can disagree and have differences without being disagreeable and don't have to share all the same beliefs with someone in order to be friends.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Shapiro has said more than once that he wouldn't go to a Jew/ non-Jew wedding.

Ahh. Religious bigotry at its finest.

But yet let's promote him on THIS forum? - Ok, so Shapiro said that and it's bigoted.

But Terry posted a youtube vid of something different, of Shapiro, Rubin and Peterson debating something else.

This forum does not promote Shapiro's bigotry. Get a grip, ffs.

with people on the religious right ( like Shapiro) who would put us back into the dark ages - Shapiro wouldn't put us back to the dark ages. He doesn't want his religious beliefs made law.

These idiots would dismantle Ruben’s whole life, if they could - Shapiro and Peterson would make same-sex marriage illegal? Shapiro and Peterson would make homosexuality illegal? Where are you getting this crap from?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit