Watchtower Study May 4

by Tyler 11 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Tyler
    Tyler

Hi all. I'm new here so please be gentle. I posted this on other X JW forums, and thought I'd post it here as well. See what I think of the place.

Watchtower Study

April 28- May 4

The Early Christians And The Mosaic Law

This is a particularly dull looking study, however, don’t be fooled! Boredom is a form of semi-hypnosis, and it is under such conditions that the WBTS use some of their most blatant mind control techniques! This is a juicy case in point.

Introduction

Well, how do you prove a point without any evidence to support it? Simple. You use every snide and subtle trick you can muster to subliminally implant your suggestion into the minds of your quarry. The WBTS here is clearly trying to get the JW’s to see their dictates as ‘gospel’ quite literally. The point of the article is first alluded to at the end of paragraph 4 where after describing the Mosaic Law’s role in the Fledgling Christian Congregation, it says:

‘But some Jewish Christians were slow to grasp this vital truth. As a result, they continued observing features of the Law even after Jesus’ resurrection. Others, though, adjusted their thinking. In doing so, they set a fine example for us today. Let us see how.’

Count the Watchtowerisums! Slow To Grasp, Adjusted their thinking, Set a fine example, Mmm. Can you see where they are heading? Yep, this is about suppressing any doubts and questions, and blithely conforming to every whim the WBTS tell us to think.

Exciting Developments in Christian Doctrine

A ‘development’ in doctrine eh? This section relates to Acts 10:9- 48. Peter is given a vision of food that was condemned by the Mosaic Law, yet commanded to eat it by God. The article comments: ‘Instead of rigidly clinging to the Law, Peter adjusted his view. This led him to an amazing discovery concerning God’s purposes.’

Mmm. He adjusted his view eh? Paragraph 7 attributes this change to a ‘spiritual discernment’. Hence their imperative rhetorical question: ‘would you have been as willing as Peter to adjust your viewpoint?’

Some kept following the Tutor

Now Acts 11:1-3. There was a dispute about the necessity of circumcision. In Paragraph 9 we are told the issue reached a head in 49 CE where Paul and others went back to ‘ask the governing body to resolve this issue once and for all’. Note also that they say unless it was sorted out some were ‘bound to be stumbled’! Implying (but not exactly saying) that today’s governing body is concerned for their flock.

An Honest Difference of Opinion- Then Unity!

The apostles are now called the ‘governing body’. Perhaps the ‘Governing Body’ today will start calling themselves ‘Apostles’, eh? Anyway the end of Paragraph 11 says ‘Those Christians who submitted to clear theocratic direction were blessed with a solid, Scriptural answer.’

What About Jewish Christians?

‘The governing body had clearly indicated that Gentile Christians did not need to be circumcised. But what about Jewish Christians? The governing body’s decision had not specifically covered that aspect of the question.’ So much for clear direction and a solid answer! Don’t you just love double speak?

Anyway, after labouring the above point over two paragraphs, paragraph 14 says: ‘Guidance came, not in the form of a letter from the governing body, but in additional inspired letters written by the apostles.’ Actually, this paragraph is a bit odd in its context. Rather than teaching reliance on the GB, this seems to be saying that inspiration can come from a separate source. If I’m not mistaken, at the meetings, they will try to make this out to refer to GB appointed ‘elders’ and ‘Circuit Overseers’. The next section seems to support this application.

Slow To Grasp The Point

Commenting on why some Christians did not take to Paul’s advice, key expressions used are: ‘they lacked spiritual discernment’, ‘neglected taking in solid spiritual food’, ‘irregular in attendance at the Christian meetings’ Paragraph 16 calls them ‘professed Christians’ who didn’t want to ‘stand out in the community’, They wanted to ‘blend in’ etc. What are they getting at here? Could it be attire and goatee beards, or sisters wearing trousers (pants in the US )? Hence the need for discernment because there is no good or scriptural reason to enforce these petty rulings, but they do anyway.

Applying The Lesson Today

I have to quote it! Paragraph 18 says: ‘After considering these events of long ago, perhaps you are wondering: “If I had lived at that time, how would I have responded as God’s will was progressively revealed? Would I have rigidly held to traditional views? Or would I have been patient until the proper understanding became clear? And when it did, would I have wholeheartedly supported it?”’

Clearly the GB know that many are having doubts. The trouble is the GB do not have the skill or knowledge to truly sort out the problems in their organisation. Just look at the mess they made of getting brothers to sort out differences in last weeks article! In the meantime JW’s are convinced to not look elsewhere but to whole heartedly support their faith. To be honest I don’t believe the first century Christians were any better off.

Paragraph 19makes the point clearer by making the reader think ‘How do I respond to clarifications in Bible understanding when presented today?’ and ‘Do I patiently wait on Jehovah when answers to lingering questions seem slow in coming?’ It also comments that Jehovah provides direction by means of …. ‘his earthy organisation’ and Jehovah will bless us with endless life that is both happy and satisfying’ if we listen.

Ever wondered how you were duped so badly? Imagine having all that blared at you for an hour while in a state of semi consciousness!

• Room 215
    Room 215

Well done and thoughtful, Tyler... welcome aboard!

• Latte
    Latte

Welcome tyler!

I can definitely relate to this comment…

“If I had lived at that time, how would I have responded as God’s will was progressively revealed? Would I have rigidly held to traditional views? Or would I have been patient until the proper understanding became clear? And when it did, would I have wholeheartedly supported it?”’

I really believe that the W/T ‘powers that be’ listen carefully to just what ‘independent thinkers’ say ( people who have put their brain into gear) and most certainly what people say on the internet, boards such as this one…..I reckon they learn a lot!! Lol

They then put out such studies as you are highlighting, just to ensure that they have every subject covered.

The highlighted comments are almost word for word what I said regarding The ‘Millions Now Living Will Never die’ LIE

Thanks for posting, and again welcome!

• Buster
    Buster

Welcome! Seems like you'll fit in just fine.

I like reading the publications and looking for the kind of stuff you're pointing out. I strongly recommend that xJWs do the same. We all remember that there was some cornerstone publication when we were members. For me, it was the Babylon book - the fact that the Society had that great piece of incredibly deep spiritual interpretation for us was THE proof that they had the truth. I recommend that everyone pick up one of those pubs, and read with a severly critical eye. Look for straw man logic, circular logic, foregone conclusions, and the one you strongly pointed out - the cheap implication.

These implications are designed for the R&F to read and draw the intended conclusion, in this case it is that the GB are the Apostles of today. But if one pores thru the pubs looking for a basis to those claims, they will find that the pubs are empty fluff - all of them. Remember Freddie pulling out that cheap 'We never exactly said that' excuse about 1975? Take the lesson, if they don't say it clearly, then they aren't saying it - cross it off.

Another point you hit, is the mind-numbing approach to the material. There are a lot of very intelligent dubbies. So how does the GB get them to swallow the hook, line and sinker? That damnable read-a-paragraph-and-ask-the-quesiton approach does it. It inhibits any overall understanding of the material and never exposes it to the light of critical inspection. Again, just pull out one of those cornerstone pubs and read a chapter and ask yourself about the overall import of the chapter and then go back to see if they really, firmly made that point. You'll see they never make the points to substantiate the basic JW beliefs.

See you on the board.

• Matty
    Matty

You sellout!!!

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire
    The apostles are now called the ‘governing body’

That’s a good questions to ask a dub, “Can you show me in the bible where the apostles are called the ‘governing body’? Is your ‘governing body’ the equivalent of the apostles? If so, are their writings inspired as the apostles writings were? Why?why not?

‘neglected taking in solid spiritual food’

‘Solid spiritual food’? WTF … as in magazines? You mean the first century Christians had the Watchtower and Awake and all the other types of publications? Where did they get the paper from? Or how could they afford papyrus? Hmmm.

‘irregular in attendance at the Christian meetings’

WOW! I didn’t know they were called “Christian meetings.” I always thought the gatherings of Christians were called “love feasts” where they received communion. And later they called it the “misa” Latin for “Mass” … which means “dismissal” because they received a blessing at the dismissal. And they went to five of these per week? Wow, they must have been rich rich rich to be able to afford such feasts so frequently.

progressively revealed?

Another gem! This is exactly what the Catholic Church teaches … they call it “progressive revelation”. The difference is that the Church teaches that the “deposit of faith” was progressively revealed only during the apostolic and post-apostolic periods. In other words, the Christian faith developed and was only authoritative if it was taught by either the apostles or those whom were directly taught by the apostles. The GB of JWs on the other hand believe it is still being progressively revealed through them. So they DO put themselves on par with the apostles!

Would I have rigidly held to traditional views? Or would I have been patient until the proper understanding became clear? And when it did, would I have wholeheartedly supported it?”’ How do I respond to clarifications in Bible understanding when presented today?’ and ‘Do I patiently wait on Jehovah when answers to lingering questions seem slow in coming?’

Sounds like new light is acoming! “traditional views” LOL! Whose traditional views? The GB’s of course! And what about when “clarifications in Bible understanding” actually make the Bible more FUZZY!

Tyler: Welcome and thanks for posting this. It was a blast! I agree with you that most of this stuff couldn’t get by UNLESS ….. UNLESS the audience is already half dumbed to sleep first. It’s like the oscillating clock in front of a person when they’re being hypnotized.

Another point you make is that the early Christians probably didn’t have it much better. I agree there too. Christianity was an off-shoot religion just like the JWs.

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire
    They then put out such studies as you are highlighting, just to ensure that they have every subject covered.

Latte, I have said this exact same thing. They feel the 'pulse' of what doubters are saying and then they react accordingly.

A few years back I brought up some very pertinent information to an elder and my sister. They had no answers so I put my questions up to the GB. It wasn't six months before it was all so-called "answered" in the Watchtower! And the answers were so superficial but my sister took it all hook line and sinker!

• Latte
    Latte

Bluesapphire,

Yup! They know what we are saying...and we know what they are saying, it's just a shame that they have the advantage of being 'guided by Jehovahs unerring Holy Spirit' (W/T 60's) ....Yeah right! (screams hysterically....)

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

After reading this Article, I have come up with a small list of very important questions to ask Jehovah's Witnesses about the Mosaic Law:

Questions about the Mosaic Law Covenant:

1: Christians are not under the Mosaic Law Covenant, correct? Not under any part of it (except for what Jesus and the Apostles commanded), right?

2: Christians are only under the Commandments by Jesus and the Apostles, correct?

3: Jesus Christ nailed the Mosaic Law Covenant to His torture stake, right?

4: The Watchtower, March 15, 2003 Issue, Page 24, Paragraph 14 says:

"...Paul used an illustration to prove that Christians were no longer under the Law. He argued that a woman could not be married to two men at once. But if her husband died, she was free to remarry. Paul then applied the illustration, showing that anointed Christians could not be subject to the Mosaic Law and belong to Christ at the same time. They had to become "dead to the Law" so that they could be united with Christ.--Romans 7:1-5.

5: This means that Christians should definitely not be under the "No Blood Storing" Rule, and that Christians should definitely not be under the "Screaming while being Raped" Rule, correct?.

6: It also means that Christians should NOT be under a rigid, unchangeable "Two-Witness Rule" for Child Abuse, correct?

• garybuss
    garybuss

I just might not be a Biblical scholar, and I so seldom paste scripture . . . . but I wonder how a plain reading of this text dismisses the laws of Moses.

17 "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. 18 I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. 19 Anyone who breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20 For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven. Matthew 5:17-20

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit