How do you switch off the thoughts of being raised JW and feelings of anger

by Zeds Dead 27 Replies latest jw experiences

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

The greatest revenge is living a happy & successful life!

• Lost in the fog
    Lost in the fog

I feel your pain my friend.

Similar story to you and in school in the UK I felt like a lone person wandering around a pride of lions on a daily basis. Would have loved to have gone on to uni but even back then in the 70s that was a big no-no.

It is difficult when other siblings are still in, and you are out. Because you try not to get angry with them when you're angry with the WT Society even when your siblings spout their JW mumbo-jumbo to you. Smile, nod, ignore.

It took me a long time to accumulate new friends who are not JWs. We can talk about everything from politics to mental health to celebrations. It does not totally wipe out the feelings you describe, but most of the time I find that I don't even think about the JW part of my life anymore.

You will move on and you will be happier for it.

• mickbobcat
    mickbobcat

You can not turn it off. Some people can just walk away and not think about it. But many can not. Some will need professional therapy and others can work through it themselves. The cult is very damaging to peoples psychological make up.

• Simon
    Simon

Don't dwell on things you lost, focus on things you have. Spend your time and energy looking forward on new projects and the life you have to live.

• Mr.Finkelstein
    Mr.Finkelstein

When you leave the JWS cult you gain so much with the potential toward great possibilities, such as an increase in educated knowledge, intellectual honesty, not being mind controlled by lying, corrupt and ignorant religoius charlatans.

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

I'm glad I'm not the only one with this. I call it The Mindchatter. Like you cant stop thinking about it, arguing the theology in your head? First thing you think of in the morning?

Mine eased off when I found an outlet to explain the JW world to outsiders. (I chose a Q&A website Quora).

I found laughing at it helped to. Making fun of the GB, making jokes about the pictures in JW literature and basically making whole comedy scripts off the bizzare-ness of the JW world.

Maybe it'll never disappear entirely.

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

Anger is well-justified when remembering all the ways your life was controlled in the JWs. The mental programming can't be switched off like a light. I think of it as something that was installed in my mind and has to be peeled away layer by layer.

Talking about it all helped me to begin the de-programming. Also the physical act of writing about it as we do on forums like this one, and getting feedback from others who really are capable of understanding what we've been through, is incredibly healing.

I haven't found any way to shorten the healing time. As the time goes along, having some good conversation about our bad experiences and maybe getting to laugh about it sometimes, helps to drain the toxins a little at a time. Everyone's situation varies, and having family shunning you makes it worse. But you begin to find that you think about it all less often. ♥

• DesirousOfChange

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit