POTENTIAL NEW NIGERIA-STYLE EMAIL SCAM

by mustang 18 Replies latest social current

• mustang
    mustang

Last week I got two emails from "Russian businessmen". They are complaining about the difficulty of doing business, due to the high taxes there.

So, they suggest a "workaround": they need to find people to PRIVATELY ship merchandise to them. This will skirt the taxes/tariffs/import duties.

Sounds good, we can all make money, right??? Well there are multiple hitches here.

1) If they are like the Nigeria scammers, you will set up a bank account and give them account numbers and money will magically disappear!!! Nigeria seems to have made an industry of this technique. This has been discussed here before and there are even web sites on this.

2) They could be "legitimate". OK, so a real businessman wants to hook up with you. Maybe it's not a "fast buck" rip-off. This is not impossible, as I have dealt with Russians on trading matters.

So I checked with one of my FREIGHT FORWARDER friends. She said this is known as "double-dipping and is very illegal. The fines are quite heavy.

In other words, if you are doing Import/Export, EXPECT to encounter Customs, EXPECT to fill out LOTS OF PAPERWORK, EXPECT to pay fees. Add all this into the normal "cost of doing business"; you may find that you have to pay more out than comes back in!!!

This is why the "PRO's" are there. They have the paperwork and fees figured out, their margin is good, they have the "contacts" on both ends and they "know the ropes". If you aren't already in the business, you are going to get burned!!!

So, be warned, here it comes!!!

BTW, the US State Department is usually interested in all these things. Whether it is paper mail or email, the SD will look at it and perhaps investigate.

They at least file it to refer to against future events.

The Freight Forwarder said that the SD regularly requests her to send all such correspondence to them.

Also, I would expect this one to sweep KH's around the country

Mustang

• Mulan
    Mulan

Anyone that gets these emails: reply to them and add this in the CC line [email protected]

It is to Cyber Criminals. They want these. The more they get, the more they can get it stopped.

I just did one and wrote in the text area: You have been reported to Cyber Criminals. I get one or two a week.

Or just delete them. Do NOT entertain any of them as being real. 7 years ago I was victimized by one, out of my innocence I think. Very bad. Fortunately I was able to write it off on my taxes.

• mustang
    mustang

Thanks, Mulan,

I wasn't aware of that Cyber reference. I have need of such a site, as I get asked about this sort of thing occasionally.

The established Freight Forwarder gets several of these a week in the USPO mail, so they have been around. They are just getting started on I-Net, I guess. I dread the flurry of new Spam this stuff always brings.

Mustang

• Shutterbug
    Shutterbug

Just remember one simple rule, if an offer is too good to be true, you can bet your bottom dollar it is. Bug

• Sara Annie
    Sara Annie

Again I have to wonder who on earth falls for this crap? I can't believe there are people out there who are so incredibly naive as to think that an unsolicited email from a total stranger would ever be a legitimate money-making venture. Is it just that there is a portion of the population that has absolutely no internal bullshit-meter? The really sad thing is that these schemes are perpetuated by the fact that somewhere out there, someone has been stupid enough to fall for them in the past. I just don't get it...

• Billygoat
    Billygoat
    Again I have to wonder who on earth falls for this crap? I can't believe there are people out there who are so incredibly naive as to think that an unsolicited email from a total stranger would ever be a legitimate money-making venture. Is it just that there is a portion of the population that has absolutely no internal bullshit-meter? The really sad thing is that these schemes are perpetuated by the fact that somewhere out there, someone has been stupid enough to fall for them in the past. I just don't get it...

LOL! Uh...don't you find this statement just a little ironic??? Do you forget why we're all here??? Most of us were more than just a little naive at one time or another without any internal b***s*** meter going at the time. Just a thought... Andi

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Check this out, I use it as my on-line bible for urban legends/hoaxes.

It's invaluable!

http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/blnigeria.htm

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

I don't go for cheap imitation internet scams. I only go for the real one - pure Nigerian or nothing.

Also, I refuse to get scammed for anything less than $25 million. One cheap Ugandan knock-off tried to scam me for a mere $10 million. Talk about insulting.

• mustang
    mustang

Thanks Rayzor,

While looking through those, I searched and found some ancient history: the Nigerian Letter scam hails back to the 1600's as the Spanish Prisoner Game scam.

See

http://www.ratdogdick.com/askratdog/rd041497.shtml

And of course, Running Man, I congratulate you on being a connoisseur. But you might miss out on a real delight. Check this sample of one of the actual emails that I received. The Ruskies want to use PayPal.

What if PayPal takes EVERYBODY to the cleaners? You'll miss some real fun!!!

"We programmers from Russia.

We sell ours soft maintenance and it is claimed in USA.

But we have some difficulties with reception of payments.

Payment system PayPal does not work with our country.

We search for American partners with Paypal account.

You will receive money for our programs and to send them to us.

From it you will receive the certain interest.

Thank.

Your help is necessary for us!

e-mail us: [email protected]

http://xxxx.yy/zzzzzzzzzz"

(Addresses neutralized)

see:

http://www.paypalsucks.com/forums/showforum.php?fid=13

http://www.paypalwarning.com/ThingsYouShouldSee/Default.htm

Mustang

• Mulan
    Mulan
    Again I have to wonder who on earth falls for this crap?

Before I had internet, I fell for a Nigeria scam. I got a middle-of-the-night fax. I was sure it was legit. These men were faxing me and calling me, which couldn't be inexpensive, with information and very detailed things they had me do, at no cost to me, just to get my trust. Then came the requests for money for permits, and more and more money. My bank teller is the one who alerted me to it being a scam, and was able to get some of my money back that I had transferred to a Hong Kong bank. She was sharp and suspicious of my wire transfers. I was sooooo dumb and inexperienced and greedy too. But it was an invaluable lesson.

Sara Annie: Don't be too critical of people who fall for this stuff. It seemed awfully reasonable to me, and I didn't suspect a thing. Now with the internet, I am surprised people aren't more suspicious, and at least investigate. I saw a warning on TV recently too. No more excuses.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit