Intelligence

by asleif_dufansdottir 25 Replies latest jw experiences

• Realist
    Realist

drw,

do you prefer the Hamiltonian approach with the well known Dirac procedure or do you prefer the Lagrangian formulation using the Antifield-formalism?

in any case i am looking forward to read your publication!

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

so am I looking forward

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    do you prefer the Hamiltonian approach with the well known Dirac procedure or do you prefer the Lagrangian formulation using the Antifield-formalism?

I'm really not a fan of bipartisan physics. So I refuse to answer the question.

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali

It seems to me what is often missing in this type of discussion is whether the intelligence is integrated into different areas of life. We've probably all known people who "can't" program their VCRs to tape a show, yet they may do something far more complex in their job, they more than likely just don't like dealing with electronics. But perhaps a more telling and practical example is when it comes to interpersonal relationships. Often times the dynamics are not that complicated from an outside observer, but if you happen to have some kind of co-dependency going on then you just can't see things as they are, being limited in the perspective of your position in the relationship. (although emotions may be involved, I don't see this as categorically different if we're looking at it in terms of integration) So I would say the true test of functional intelligence would be how someone goes about their life in general, which would be different from applied intelligence in a particular area or a specific type of task.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

So I would say the true test of functional intelligence would be how someone goes about their life in general, which would be different from applied intelligence in a particular area or a specific type of task.

So are you implying that if one is a people person then one is likely to be more "intelligent"

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali

So are you implying that if one is a people person then one is likely to be more "intelligent"

Not at all. What I'm saying is basically it applies to all areas of life, which is certainly not limited to being a people person - that is just one area I used as an example.

To look at it another way, there is both breadth and depth to intelligence, although there is something to be said about how smart one lives their life as a whole even if it isn't very deep in any particular area. The thing is there may be psychological issues that prevent the intelligence from functioning in a particular area of life, this could be either something like programming a VCR to interpersonal relationships. To use a crude example it is like that quote from Dune about fear is the mind killer... This is particularly significant in the context of a forum such as this with many ex-JWs, because in a way what prevents people from getting over emotional issues is such a block. Sometimes people who are very knowledgeable about psychology still have stuff to work out too, so clearly there is a difference between a conceptual intelligence and an actualized intelligence that functions in all areas of life. I would say the key lies in an understanding of the nature of mind itself, (or the nature of self..) as opposed to the content alone.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit