Congregation dwindles

by wannaexit 29 Replies latest jw friends

• wannaexit
  • slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Only 330 JWs in the state of South Dakota? Doubtful.

“We believe that somebody, a higher power, kind of oversees these things,” he said. “When it didn’t sell, we kind of figured it wasn’t meant to sell.”

This doesn't sound to me like something a JW would say.

The easy reference to the Pew research and other obscure knowledge indicates to me the piece was written by a former JW, not a disinterested journalist. The figures cited sound pretty suspect. I believe JWs are beginning to decline, but this article seems like gross exaggeration mixed with some bits of truth

• John Davis
    John Davis

There is all of 19000 people in the metro area according to the 2000 census. So about 50 people in a congregation makes sense for that small of a population.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    sfb: Only 330 JWs in the state of South Dakota? Doubtful

Why is that doubtful, SFB? Please explain why you think that. Are you familiar with South Dakota?

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS
    • Congregation

Chamberlain - SD (USA)

English

Lakota

• Thursday, 7:30 p.m.
      • Sunday, 10:00 a.m.

More Information

• Congregation

Pierre - SD (USA)

English

• Thursday, 7:30 p.m.
      • Sunday, 10:00 a.m.

More Information

These are the only congregations that are listed on JW.ORG. Two are in English and one in Lakota. If that is correct, I can see how they list only 330 members.

• Sail Away
    Sail Away

Interesting to hear. I "pioneered where the need was great" in Oakes, North Dakota in 1976. At the time there were 50 publishers-- all related to one another. Looks like nothing has changed!

• steve2
    steve2

SBF, it doesn't at all seem to be written by an ex-JW. The overview of what JWs believe is pretty bland. Funny that the JW spokesman attributed the decline to families moving out of the area; in days past, new ones coming in made up for that.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    We believe that somebody, a higher power, kind of oversees these things,” he said. “When it didn’t sell, we kind of figured it wasn’t meant to sell.”

I actually can hear some of the JWs back in my home town saying exactly this kind of thing. They use the term "higher power" when they are speaking to outsiders. The first time I heard it I found it rather odd. I still do.

Another phrase I have heard the homies use: "This isn't a religion. It is a lifestyle". (American grammar rules: "...lifestyle.")

Yup. Jehovah's Witnesses are a "Lifestyle". I chalked it all up to new cultspeak duck and cover talk.

• loneranger
    loneranger

According to the website "Kingdom Hall Locator" there are 29 kingdom Halls in South Dakota. I too think the number of 330 JWs for the state is incorrect.

http://jwhalls.org/resources/kingdom-hall-count-by-state/

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Given the population of South Dakota and publisher ratio in the United States, it would indicate more than 3000 JWs. Even if South Dakota is well below average for JWs, 330 is still far too low.

According to JW website there are five congregations in Rapid City alone, and seven in Sioux Falls. Then there's Pierre and Chamberlain as mentioned, and Gregory and Watertown and other rural congregations. Definitely a lot more than 330 JWs in South Dakota.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit