TTATT is a process, and it’s going to take time. There are no Short-Cuts.

by John Aquila 20 Replies latest jw experiences

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Convincing someone that they have lived a lie is important - but that just gets you to the starting point to the rest of your life. My advice is - don't do it unless you are willing to accept the rest of your responsibility.

Understanding TTATT is just the beginning of a very complicated and HARD process to create meaning to your life. This is why I am reluctant to preach TTATT. Understanding TTATT is easy, the rest is really - really hard. I don't want to be responsible for what happens next. I have my own stinkin' problems. This may be (and is) a very selfish perspective. But I don't want to be responsible for what happens after they learn TTATT.

Those well meaning people who were so happy to convince me TTATT disappeared immediately after they accomplished their goal. I really don't have warm and fuzzy feelings for these opportunists.

• steve2
    steve2

NewYork44M - you capture so well the complicated personal process involved in grasping TTATT and how seemingly helpful people who are eager to help the individual often make the process even harder.

I have yet to hear of anyone learning TTATT through persistent confrontation - even of the gentler kind. In fact, the mentality to get people out mirrors the JW mentality of trying to get people in; More often than not, it's counter-productive.

• Ding
    Ding
    The possibility that the WT's system is a house of cards is just too painful for many JWs to consider.
  • John Aquila
    John Aquila
    NewYork44M

Those well meaning people who were so happy to convince me TTATT disappeared immediately after they accomplished their goal. I really don't have warm and fuzzy feelings for these opportunists.

steve2In fact, the mentality to get people out mirrors the JW mentality of trying to get people in;

Hey, this is good stuff.

Either way, If I was starting out my life and was in this cult, I would appreciate if someone spared me the pain of wasting my life on door to door and tons of meetings and guilt trips and all the other useless stuff.

But If I was older and had given up everything, like having kids, going to school, had pioneer all my life, Please don't tell me about TTATT.

• stuffwotifink
    stuffwotifink
    Just as I was at my most "Tell everyone you know that they are wrong"ist, a woman I'd known my whole life (the mother of a close friend) started to take the bOrg seriously.
    She'd been one of those "Lifelong study who never gets dunked" types, she'd come and go over the years, but never liked the meetings because of all the clique-ish behavior and pressures to conform to standards she couldn't find in her bible.
    The kingdom hall was her only option, so far as she was aware, to avoid the trinity - and since some JWs she knew had convinced her this was "pagan"... She lingered on the outskirts of the herd.

Anyway, she was diagnosed with cancer and started to really "lean on jehovah" as a result. All her reservations about the legalism of the JWs were thrown out the window. I could see the fear in her eyes. [And that's obviously not just WT doctrine, most biblical theologies leave people open to this kind of fear "was I lukewarm, will I be found wanting?"]

She knew what my "new and improved" position was on the WT and asked me not to talk to her about it.

As she became more ill she would often try to speak to me about the bible and her hopes for the new system (I had preached at her for hours over the years, most times we spoke; we spoke about biblical stuff). I really stuggled with the conversation and avoided her a little, but when I couldn't dodge her... I lied. And she knew I was lying.
    She needed the lie.

I would blabber on about all the scriptural nonesense that used to fill me with hope when I believed - and quote every last damned bit of empty scripture I could think of, to support the pretty pictures she wanted to paint of her resurrection.
    My eisegesis was epic. CTR himself would have been impressed with my bullshit.

She died thinking that the very next thing she'd see would be Paradise. I did nothing to attempt to change that. I played right into what I believe to have been a false hope on her part, and solidified it as best I could for her: as True.

I'm a stinking hypocrite. I'll be buggered if I feel bad about it though. I would lie again if I was faced with the same situation. Those were some of the sweetest lies that ever passed my lips, I'd take none back.
    Sometimes TTATT is flat out the worst thing that you can offer a JW, sad but true, imo.

I figured I'd add that. It is a minefield of a problem, who knows where it's best to tread?
    Not I.
  • vinman
    vinman
    Yes, I don't understand those type of people mentioned in the OP. I told one of my friends all the things I learned about the organization and said I can prove it. He listened attentively and understood where I was coming from. The next day at the KH, he was talking to my wife about someone who was coming into the"truth". I just don't get it. It is like they are sleep walking in the Watchtower.
  • Island Man
    Island Man
    Amen, John!
  • SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

I cannot subject my 72 year old JW mom to TTATT anymore. 8 years ago, when I was fresh out of JWWorld, she overheard me tell my never-a-dub stepfather that WT was a cult, this while vacationing together in the Caymans (a real paradise). I don't think, even today, my mom got over that. This is why I don't make any overt waves now, to spare her feelings. I don't hide, I'm in plain sight.

Unlikely my mom will leave JWWorld, if she did what would she do for friends this late in life? She lives in a tiny southern town. I worry about her.

Snakes (Rich)

• John Aquila
    John Aquila

stuffwotifink

My eisegesis was epic. CTR himself would have been impressed with my bullshit.

LOL!

She died thinking that the very next thing she'd see would be Paradise. I did nothing to attempt to change that. I played right into what I believe to have been a false hope on her part, and solidified it as best I could for her
    Those were some of the sweetest lies that ever passed my lips, I'd take none back.
    Sometimes TTATT is flat out the worst thing that you can offer a JW, sad but true, imo.

That was cool, she died in peace.

• steve2
    steve2

The next day at the KH, he was talking to my wife about someone who was coming into the"truth". I just don't get it. It is like they are sleep walking in the Watchtower.

Some people are just not bothered by doubt and misgivings. Religious blindness is widespread and is no repsecter of affiliation or religious group.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit