Plagorism?

by DJ 11 Replies latest jw friends

• DJ
    DJ

Forgive me if I can't speel to word plagorism...but I just don't feel like looking it up...lol. Anyway, my 12 yr. old plays the piano and tonight I have to go to her her recital at school. Obviously, I have been listening to her practice 'her song' for weeks and it is now stuck in my head. I was just humming it unconciously, when I realized that it is actually a song that i knew as a teenager. The song is very old and very new at the same time. Originally, it was called, "Swinging Along" My daughter got the song from an old piano book last ypdated in 1968. It just hit me that is is the same melody as the old Jethro Tull song called, "Skating Away". Does anyone remember that song? They must have stolen the melody. Weird huh?Do you think I have a case?I used to listen to Aqualung and I liked the idea of a flute in a rock band. I am shocked......lol

• foreword
    foreword

well, no one can accuse you of doing it, can they?

• riz
    riz

lmao @ foreword!!

• DJ
    DJ

LOL foreword. I hit the submit button by accident...oooops..I edited it since I am so fortunate to have figured out where the edit button is now...!

• foreword
    foreword

It was just too tempting, one of those things you do and then some wise ass comments...lol

Yeah, I know the song. Did you ever check if Jethro Tull takes credit for it's creation. Maybe somewhere they acknowledge using the old song you are referring to. If it's old, could be of public domain.

• DJ
    DJ

foreword,

Hi. Oh great, now you've got me going down into my basement to dig thru all of my old albums. I don't even know if I still have them....I wonder if there is a Jethro Tull web site? How funny would that be. Those guys...I wonder what ever happened to them. Were they British? Hey you Brits! What ever happened to the band Jethro Tull? lol

• foreword
    foreword

If I'm not mistaken, someone told me they went to a concert, this winter sometimes.

I don't know if it's all original members, but what's his name "Ian" had to be there to give it some validity.

I think they were British, actually I'm pretty sure. Unless they're Germans.

• DJ
    DJ

LOL.....yea, i guess if they are Germans then they aren't British. The way you worded that was too funny. sorry... Yea, Ian was one of their names. I was not that big of a fan but it is good to hear that they are around still. Ahhh, I guess I'm not that old........

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Jethro Tull and Ian Anderson are British and are alive and kicking. I understand that Anderson is touring in his own right as well.

It is not unusual for musicians to 'borrow' from other pieces, in fact it is very common. In the late 60's there was an outbreak of rock bands who melted the classics and rock music together. Keith Relf's 'Rennaiscance' for example, 'Wishbone Ash' always famous for their riffs nicked many from an Austrian composer whose name I have forgotten. Check out the earlier Zappa and the 'Mothers Of Invention' compositions as well, many of the classical composers appear like psychedelic ghosts. Also check every young women who sings these days. Joni Mitchell is the left ear and Laura Nyro the right and not much in the middle....lol

HS

• DJ
    DJ

Hi HS,

Wow. You seem to know quite a bit on the subject. I must confess that I never thought that Jethro Tull was actually the name of one of the musicians! I always considered that to be the name of the band. I remember when I was younger and my brother used to play "Stairway to Heaven" on his guitar and my mom picked up the album off of his desk and asked, "Which one is Led?" We laughed about that for years. dj

p.s. don't eat yellow snow.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit