An Odd Request from Our Ex-JW Son

by TMS 13 Replies latest jw experiences

• pbrow
    pbrow

I think it was an interview with R. Dawkins where he said something to this effect....

It is difficult to understand modern day literature without knowing many of the bibles stories.

In my opinion, you can learn a lot from bible stories. Good and bad. I think the apprehension that we ex-dubs have springs from our being indoctrinated with them. That will simply not happen if you or your son are the ones telling the STORIES. You can teach them as the culturally relevant stories they are, nothing more and nothing less.

Good luck and congrats

pbrow

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I think it is very important to teach young ones what a Scientific Theory is, and what is simply perhaps a Hypothesis and that these are worlds away from myth,legend and fiction in general.

I do agree with Dawkins, that at present, to understand a lot of references you have to know basic Bible stories, and basic Greek Myth, as many old farts like me pepper their speech and writings with such references, assuming most people know what is meant.

This is a bit arrogant, even if accidental, many people do not have any grasp of ancient stories, even literature as recent as the last couple of hundred years.

If we can teach these basics to our young ones they will easily glean so much more from their learning process.

We will also help them with Critical Thinking skills, when they can see that Scientific Theories are backed by solid facts, empirical evidence where possible, and have been Peer reviewed.

If someone is merely quoting old myth etc to prove their argument, their argument should be treated with the utmost care, and be subject to close scrutiny.

• sir82
    sir82

Oh, by the way, could you teach him the basic Bible stories? I don't want him growing up not at least knowing the details of what other kids are being taught."

It would be interesting to do this, interspersed with tales of Greek / Roman / Norse / whatever mythology.

Monday: Noah & the flood

Tuesday: Theseus & the minotaur

Wednesday: David & Goliath

Thursday: the 7 labors of Hercules

And so on. Would get the "basic Bible education" but would quickly realize that the stories are pure myth.

• under the radar
    under the radar

I agree with all the above. A well-rounded education must include knowledge of (as distinct from belief in) the Bible, its major concepts, and at least some of its most referenced stories. I would argue the same applies to general knowledge of other subjects like the history of Islam, the Greek myths, the Roman Empire, etc. Things like this were taught as history, not theology, when I was in high school in the 70's. Other things like Roman numerals and cursive writing come in handy, too.

Your son is smart to make sure his son at least knows about other people's beliefs. And you are smart to present them in a matter-of-fact way without belittling the believers. The little fellow will figure out pretty quickly what makes sense and what doesn't. "Forbidden" knowledge has an appeal all its own, so the more informed your grandson is (age-appropriateness considered, of course), the better off he will be.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit