History repeated: pre-1975 trend of selling homes to ‘downsize’

by LongHairGal 34 Replies latest jw friends

• FFGhost
    FFGhost

I know of a 50ish JW woman who moved to upstate New York to serve as a "remote" full time Bethel volunteer (i.e., she is responsible for all of her own expenses). She's living off her 401(k) account that she accumulated during her working career (and, yes, as she not yet age 59-1/2, is paying the 10% early withdrawal penalty).

She sounds happy to be there, but I shudder to think what her life will be like when the money runs out, very likely before her eligibility for Social Security benefits (and even that would almost certainly be insufficient to live on).

Bethel, of course, will be more than happy to continue to accept her labor, but their wages ($0) will remain unchanged.

• Rivergang
    Rivergang
    I remember a CO at a circuit meeting in the 90's, who stated "those of you who are complaining about not having a good job and income because of wrong choices in 1975, you did it your self! Don't blame the society!", he said.

That is called "blaming the victim", and is - sad to say - something that happens a lot.

In this specific case, it is also very dishonest. You can't go praising people up for selling their homes and "pioneering" on the proceeds (as the WTS did in a 1974 Kingdom Ministry), then afterwards deny responsibility when it all turns to custard.

Yet another example of the way in which that bloody lot always wants to have it both ways!

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

I knew a woman who pulled her children from school in 1975, as part of their preparation for the end. She had to re-enroll them the following year, and they were always a year behind their peers. I bet there are a lot of stories like that, of people who made less drastic life changes (than quitting jobs or selling property) just to watch as 1975 came and went. I wonder how many of them remained after the GB threw them under the bus in 1980/1981.

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

When you think about it, he was right. We make our choices, good and wrong.

Don't blame others.

Well said. I am not sure why someone would disagree with your comment, unless they feel that people are too stupid to make their own choices and they also blindly follow whatever they are told to do.

If someone tells you to jump off a cliff and you do don't blame them for your injuries!

• waton
    waton
    If someone tells you to jump off a cliff and you do don't blame them for your injuries! FUJW:

The person telling you to jump of the cliff is 99.99% responsible for your injuries, because/ when

that person has threatened you with eternal death if you disobey, has cited unfailing proof that disobedience ones will die, as they did in bible stories, if that person has indoctrinated you since childhood that during your jump the laws of nature will be suspended, miraculously, you will levitate like angels, and you will survive, whereas all non jumpers will be killed.

Those that by deception, coerce others into injury are criminals and have , at least "in the world", been charged and convicted.

wt still teaches, that obedience to "seemingly" unreasonable wt orders (like jumping of cliffs would be) is the only way to avoid eternal death.

• Gorb
    Gorb

It all has to do with the degree of maturity.

Don't blame, it was you that made a choice.

G.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

Efforts were made to get me back in the fold in 1974. The bro nearest to me--in age and distance--offered to give me a sort of refresher course. He visited me a couple of times, and the conversation got round to 1975. He told me he had bought a newer car on credit--because he would never have to pay it off. This isnt heresay--he told me himself. I declined any further visits..1975 came and went..i'm still alive, and the last i heard of him he was a circuit servant.

• Simon
    Simon
    The person telling you to jump of the cliff is 99.99% responsible for your injuries ...

Sorry, but what? No one genuinely believes any of that!

Claiming the WTS have utter and complete control over everyone's life choices is demonstrably false, and just plays into their hands. This is NOT the message that we want to be telling people.

• Gorb
    Gorb

It took me 25 years before stop blaming others.

Now, at 51, I left the black / white aproach.

Shades of grey now.

Not always a pattern yet, have to work for it.

G.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

FF GHOST:

About that woman who decided to live off her 401k:..Here she was wise enough to have one in the first place. I wonder if because of her big mouth she was made to feel guilty for even having it. Then late in the game she decides to do this.👎 Hopefully she wasn’t motivated by guilt and being ‘seen’ to be spiritual 🙄. If and when the money runs out, she should track down her ‘spiritual’ JW friends who egged her on to do this. I don’t believe for one minute that many of these types of ‘sacrifices’ weren’t discussed with people in the congregations!

For those on the forum who have been out of the Witness religion for a long time: The stories that I have heard through the grapevine is that money is being privately asked from responsible people in congregations to help out types who are ‘needy’. This is the reality there now. Also, if somebody gives..it won’t only be one time. They can expect to be asked time and again!

Again, this is why I’m Glad I’m not there anymore..A verbal altercation would be inevitable because at some point the hypocrites would make their way over to Me with their envelope! 👎

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit