Remote Translation Offices (RTO) of Jehovah's Witnesses

by Brokeback Watchtower 34 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• millie210
    millie210

Thanks for the answer darkspilver!

Where would I expect them to put it?

Honestly, I dont see why it couldnt be done in a closet. Or a basement. Or on a plane while traveling. Well, maybe not that last one LOL

The point being, I dont see why they cant do all of this at headquarters. All it takes is a computer to transmit data.

There is no need to buy an entire building for translating one language to another.

Look at how the U.N. does it. Lots of language flowing in and out there. No need to have an expensive property in Florida.

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

I have a family member in Africa who has showed photos of an RTO there. It was just an ordinary house, three people sitting at tables working at computers, that's it. I understand why it would be better there, but a similar setup in Florida makes less sense. Maybe if the translators were not on the 'payroll', receiving a stipend or medical insurance, it would save the WT money.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

What do you think about these things. It seems like a monumental waste of time and money, a pipe dream of the Governing Body based on wishful thinking. This Corporation is going down the tubes with these asshole deluded genius's calling the financial investment shot.

Well, the WT is going down the drain in most advanced countries, but there's actually growth in third world countries and in countries lacking infrastructure. And the concept of remote offices for translation work has actually been around for quite some time. I know as I have done translation work in the past, remotely, so it works.

• cha ching
    cha ching

Exactly what I was thinking, Millie210!

You don't need a "building" to translate... you simply need a computer and internet hookup.

WT is so bogus! But they have trained their audience of 'seals' to clap each time an announcement is made: "We have just spent 250 billion on a remote translating site in Africa for a language that is only spoken by 100,000 people, and if statistics hold true (less than 2% or is it .2% will become JWs) that will mean either 2,000 or 200 people will be JWs... and you have just spent 250 billion (exaggerated on purpose).... Clap... Yaaaayaaaayyaaaa.... Clapping, clapping.

A computer and a translator........ internet connection, right?

So glad I am gone!

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

Hi millie210!

Honestly, I dont see why it couldnt be done in a closet. Or a basement.

Wow, kinda glad I don't work for you - hard task master! haha

The point being, I dont see why they cant do all of this at headquarters. All it takes is a computer to transmit data.

Yes, they could, but probably not so effectively, or even so accurately.
    Remember, buying a property is a capital asset whose valve can be realised when sold and not a 'running cost' whose valve is lost.

Look at how the U.N. does it. Lots of language flowing in and out there. No need to have an expensive property in Florida.

Interesting example - as, no, they don't - they use just six languages. If you wanna make a statement in your own language (not one of the 6) perhaps for political PR reasons, then you need to bring your own translation.

The European Union at least uses 23 official languages, though only effectively three working languages, of which English is the most used apparently - might cause a bit of a problem when Britain exits....

Oh, and building in the out back of beyond in Africa is probably way way cheaper than having it at 'HQ'

I suppose the bottom line is everybody should speak English - I mean they're all gonna be speaking English in the 'New Order Paradise' aren't they - after all it's the 'perfect lanuage'!

(please, that last paragraph is meant to be ironic)
  • Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower

Thanks for the input Darkspilver. Makes sense. Maybe the Governing Body ain't as dumb as I imagine but still pretty close to it. It's a losing battle anyway you look at it for a end of the world cult that is long past it many expiration dates of it's making.

• Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower
    double post
  • millie210
    millie210
    darkspilver
    Wow, kinda glad I don't work for you - hard task master! haha

Well how about I work for you then? I like a boss with a sense of humor!

darkspilver
    Yes, they could, but probably not so effectively, or even so accurately.
    Remember, buying a property is a capital asset whose valve can be realised when sold and not a 'running cost' whose valve is lost.
    So that is the main point then. It is a real estate decision masquerading as a translating enterprise.

That is the point of this thread, no?
    As far as working in a closet or a basement, I still do not see how that would have any effect on accuracy.
    Much of my work is done on my laptop or Blackberry not anywhere near a stick built building. I am the person in my business that would be the one in the basement or closet so to speak. Reason? I dont need it for what I do.
    They (the Org) dont need it to translate.

its real estate, pure and simple.
    Its the whole shell game way they present it that is an insult to their contributors intelligence.

• Half banana
    Half banana

Yes a shell game of property speculation but done in the interests of infecting every language group with their debilitating virus.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    millie: So that is the main point then. It is a real estate decision masquerading as a translating enterprise.

It is possible that there is an additional benefit to the translation offices.

Hand in hand with translation is literacy programming. And literacy efforts by charities are wedges that establish legitimacy in foreign countries. Another side benefit of literacy and translation efforts if that it will qualify nonprofit organizations for governmental support in the form of grants, etc.

In Africa, for example, the JWs are petitioning the government for financial aid to support the JW literacy programs (the WTS doesn't supply them with anything but bare start up materials). I read a Master's thesis written by a JW that did just that - it was mainly a petition for the government to pay for training of the JWs and to kick in for supplies. (*I will look for this paper...it is somewhere in my archive)

Another recent global initiative has been language revitalization and the WTS has jumped on the bandwagon in that endeavor. It keeps them in good standing with government relations and gives them ease of passage in certain areas.

The translation business is a vital area of activity outside of the WTS and the WTS is an active participant in global initiatives.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit