Pictures in the Watchtower

by Sour Grapes 21 Replies latest jw friends

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

I got so sick of seeing the bobbing/nodding heads

yep----that took me back 50 years. rows of batty old women lapping up every word.

• alcyone
    alcyone

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/mp/r1/lp-e/w13/2013/1406

this is the picture i wrote about. good career advice!

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

" They act like God himself took the picture."

Lol!

The reverence for the pictures in the watchtower is something that always bewildered me. They'd give a comment about a picture as if the act of someone drawing something or staging a photo makes the situation depicted not only real, but the only possible outcome. Picture of some jw boy being friendly with a worldly girl next to one of her holding a pregnancy test? Just goes to show you can't be nice to worldly people without having unprotected sex and someone getting pregnant. The picture showed it, so it can't go another way. Ugh. Idiots.

• Darryl
    Darryl

Wow I am having a great time reading these posts. Sounds like some of you are still

attending the weekly meetings. I just have one question. Why are you not busy reading

the magazines as soon as they hit your mailbox? It's Thursday some of you have

meetings tonight shouldn't you be researching every assignment in case someone is

sick and you might be called on to give an impromptu talk? Then of course is Sunday's

Watchtower study make sure you study and underline the answers. Make the lines very

conspicuous so that any person looking at your magazine from several feet away can

tell that you have studied. I've always found that a yellow highlighter usually worked

best. I'm sorry I'm kidding if you are on this site but still attend meetings you have my

sympathy however congrats on still having a relationship with your family. Do what you

have to do you will get no grief from me other than a little good natured

teasing.

Question: Have you ever opened your magazine for the watchtower study

and all the pages are brand spanking new, clean everyone can tell this is the first

time you looked at it? You look over and get a look of disapproval from some righteous

person on your row? I had to read the Watchtower one Sunday and I hadn't studied

after the meeting an elder approached me and told me that he couldn't help but notice

that I didn't study my Watchtower. I told him to kiss my ass. I said that to myself of

course. LOL

• respectful_observer
    respectful_observer

alcyone3 hours agohttp://wol.jw.org/en/wol/mp/r1/lp-e/w13/2013/1406

I'm blown away. For once the photo depicting working late isn't a white collar setting. Virtually every photo/illustration in WT publishing history that relates to the conflict between employment issues (overtime, flirting in the workplace, etc.) and spiritual responsibilities is an office/white collar setting. It's those scary college educated people working in offices that are the real danger.

• Nicholaus Kopernicus
    Nicholaus Kopernicus

There is much more attention given to the pictures than there used to be. I can't help but think that this attention to the pictures increases as the content of the literature becomes more dull and boring.

There is also a tendency to attribute too much importance to the pictures - rather like the JW.ORG emblems which are appearing at KHs and in lapel and tie pins, key fobs etc. Simply idolatrous and showing the authors at the WTBTS as increasingly bankrupt spiritually.

• Londo111
    Londo111

I remembered the black and white drawings in the Acts publication of Festus or Felix or Agrippa...one of those. People were commenting on the character of these individuals based on the drawings as if the drawings were somehow an accurate depiction of how these people looked 2000 years ago and one could indeed divine something about them from a still drawing.

• Darryl
    Darryl

Do they still publish pictures of Amageddon? Lightning bolts striking people, fire, people running and screaming, the

earth swallowing people? Those pictures used to give me nightmares

• daringhart13
  • EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries
    I'm sure the JW's get super excited when they have an opportunity to comment on pictures because it allows them to say words not already printed and to give the illusion that they can think for themselves and develop a true comment in their own words.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit