Elder/MS requirement for marriage talk? (Wedding not in KH)

by respectful_observer 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• respectful_observer
    respectful_observer

"I was told that there are written instructions to the BOE on this."

In my search of historical posts, I saw reference to this as well. However, I've not yet been able to find the letter in question...lost of searching on JWleaks, JWArchive, etc., but to no avail.

• smiddy
    smiddy

My wife and I were married in a KH in 1960 by a P.O. in Melb. Aust. my wifes two bridesmaids were not JW`s and one particulary was quite worldly being the girlfriend of my wifes brother who was the best man at our wedding he also was not a witness

My father in law made sure a barrell of beer was on hand at our reception .Jw`s on one side of the reception hall and worldly people on the other .We were only in the "truth 12-18 months before our wedding so only some members from the cong.attended outnumbered by worldly people.

My wife and I experience by the brother who converted us was used at a cicuit assembly at which we got baptised a few months before our wedding.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

In our State, anyone designated by the church can perform legal weddings. WTS says that it must be an Elder. Thus a MS or "ordained minister" publisher does not qualify. But actually no one would know at City Hall. They just handle the paperwork. You can buy "ordination" online for about $100 that gives you the authority to perform marriages.

• respectful_observer
    respectful_observer

"In our State, anyone designated by the church can perform legal weddings. WTS says that it must be an Elder."

Any ideas where the WTS says it must be an Elder? WT, QFR, BOE letter or otherwise?

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Any ideas where the WTS says it must be an Elder? WT, QFR, BOE letter or otherwise?

Letter to the BOE. This issue 1st came up (to my knowledge) when the WTS was providing small "business cards" stating that said publisher was an "ordained minister of the Good News". Since that intimated that every low-level publisher was a "minister" lots of questions/problems resulted. Since that doesn't happen any more, it must have caused more of a shitstorm than any good it accomplished. . . . Doc

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit