What have you read that helped you?

by yesidid 22 Replies latest jw friends

• yesidid
    yesidid

My journey out began with this and other ''eyeopening" internet sites [thank you Simon]. I have since read Ray Franz's two books and Greg Stafford's "Dissertations".

Although I am very grateful to have found out that my years of questions had a solid base and I now see the WTS for what it is, I have decided I need more positives in my life.

Could anyone suggest books which may help my future journey.

I still believe in God and the Bible. I do not believe the trinity teaching, and am not interested in reading works promoting it.

I just want to get on with my life in a positive manner.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

yesidid [of the onward movement class].

• dedalus
  • peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

I gag on pop psychology and self help blather. I have found very useful and thought provoking books like, "Living Philosophies:The reflections of Some Eminent Men and Women of our Time." !990 It is a collection of essays about life and meaning and humanity. Excellent and ecclectic. There was a 1930 edition as well that was equally ggod.

• Skeptic
    Skeptic

Awaken the Giant Within by Anthony Robbins is excellent in many ways. It works.

How to Make Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie has a tacky name, but is a classic book on how to get along with people. The examples used are outdated, but the principles and practical advice are timeless.

SuperSelf by Charles Givens is very good if you want to achieve goals.

Richard

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and dog-gonit people like me.....Stewart Smally

• gumby
    gumby
    I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and dog-gonit people like me.....Stewart Smally

Amen Peacefulpete, ....just please don't copy Stewarts dress style and manly mannerisms......his pink sweater has got to go. Gumby

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

"All beings, O Arjun, are unmanifest --- invisible to our physical eyes --- before birth and after birth. They manifest between birth and death only. What is there to grieve about?" Sri Krishna speaking to Arjuna in Bhagavad Gita

The Gita's been very thought provoking for me. Its available for free at www.gita4free.com

• Farkel
    Farkel

: I just want to get on with my life in a positive manner

Just read the "Tao de Ching" and toss away all that religious blather.

The "Tao" is not about religion. It's just about the way it is, and the way it's been since man became sentient. It was written hundreds of years before Jesus came around and it still surpasses anything Jesus ever said.

That must make me a heretic, but Jesus was a false prophet and even if he did ever exist (there is no evidence he ever did except from the "Church" and his "faithful followers" [hardly objective evidence]) Jesus offered virtually NOTHING new. That is to say, he offered nothing that wasn't offered by many avatars and wannabe avatars who preceded him. You may not like this, but this is true.

As i said, read the "Tao De Ching," and get a different and much more wise and much less judgmental attitude towards who we are and what we are here to do with our very short lives.

Farkel

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

"Give up learning and put an end to your troubles" Lao Tzu.

Agreed Farkel.. Tao Te Ching is an amazing little book, all written by a man, who, as tradition goes, did not even want to write it, was just trying to "Get away from it all"

• twolips
    twolips

I was on amazon and there seems to be two versions of this book. One by Stephen Mitchell and one by Gia-Fu Feng. .. Can you tell me what's the one to read? thank you

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit