Hi all - out of the 'Truth' for 14 years and it still affects me....

by Mandybp 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Mandybp
    Mandybp

Hey there everyone :) I am so glad I found this place. I had no idea something like this existed! It's been fourteen years since I was disfellowshipped and it still plays on my mind. This fear that *maybe* Armaggedon will happen any minute, *maybe* they have the truth. Arrrghhh it's so frustrating.

I have just decided to look into my spirituality again and it's opened a whole can of worms, I'm reading the bible again and trying to sort out what I do believe. It's taken years because I learned to hate the rest of Christianity due to the Witnesses. I've had to kind of get over that before I could even think about reading the Bible again.

Did Christ exist? If he did then sure I'll go with him - he was a total miracle worker according to the gospels. (But then do you really believe the Bible is inspired of God?)

As I'm reading stuff posted by other ex JW's I am remembering some of the doctrines I used to believe with all my heart (remember - don't question - it's not good to question - Ack)

I'm hoping this is the place to get some answers on this confusing journey. Has anyone else thought that Christianity holds the truth for them? I'm just wondering if there is anyone here who has gone from being a JW to being a 'Christian' within the churches of Christendom? If so how have you come to terms with the doctrinal differences?

Do we ever really let go of this fear of Armaggedon? There should be a name for it - post traumatic armaggedon disorder or something :)

• Mandybp
    Mandybp

Hmmmm - I've posted this but I can't actually see the post on the board *confused* I had to hit back on my browser to find the post and comment here. If anyone posts a reply to this I've got no idea how to find it again!

• Holey_Cheeses*King_of_the juice.
    Holey_Cheeses*King_of_the juice.

Welcome mandybp.

First up, right hand on heart and repeat in a loud voice after me - "I swear by the lord cheeses that I have no known associations with Fred Hall, Sword of Jah, realness, or elumn8 - so help me cheeses."

Lower your hand - And enjoy the show!

cheeses - who nearly always welcomes the new ones.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Welcome to the board, Mandybp! I'm glad you found us.

There are a number of ways to investigate spiritual directions, the Bible being one of them. There are other religious books and writings, too -- but of course they're not for everyone.

Some here have gone back to Christianity, some to paganism, some to atheism. Instead of finding "answers" here, you'll more likely find support in your quest to determine what "Truth" is to you. If you use the search feature, likely you'll find at least one post that discusses whether Christ existed!! Yes this board seems to touch on everything. (We even have a paper, scissors, stone thread if you can believe it.)

The fear of Armageddon -- what would be a good name? Maybe Armaphobia? Anyhow, if you see the number of times that the WT Society said that Armageddon was SUPPOSED to come -- like 1914, 1915, 1918, 1919, 1925, soon after WW2, 1975, before the end of the 20th century, and who knows what they're saying now, you'll soon see it is a scare tactic to make followers cling to their every word. Other people have called it a "carrot and stick" approach -- as in how you get a donkey to move. You dangle a carrot on a stick in front of him, and he believes that if he keeps walking he'll eventually get that carrot. Same way the Watchtower society treats their adherents -- they make them believe that if they keep "serving Jehovah" with their door-knocking brand of ministry, that eventually Armageddon will come and all non-believers will be gone. It's all just a fantasy.

Again welcome to the board. I hope you find this thread again, and post often!

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Hi Mandy. Thanks for visiting this forum, and thank you for being brave enough to post a little bit of information about yourself and your previous experiences as a JW.

This site is full of fun, frivolity and frank serious discussion regarding WTBTS doctrines.

You'll find this site VERY interesting, and full of wonderful people.

I've been away from the organization since the spring of 1984.

Does it affect me?

I'm here. And I'm doing very well thanks to so many supportive and loving members of this forum. A variety of personalities are represented here, but they add up to a very positive equation.

Hope you'll remain and post regularly.

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

Hi and welcome Mandy.

I was raised a witness and have now been disassociated for a year in august . It was the hardest thing to do,,,,,lose my beloved religion.

I too feel that I have no room in my life for another religion. I am still working on believing in the Bible, God, the whole bit, I got thru one day beleiving one thing and then being not sure of it all.

I am also starting to pick up the bible and trying to form my own spirituality. I know there are scriptures that say, ........." keep seaching andyou will find", "GOd is not far from us", "We will be sent a helper , the Holy Spirit ", and I am willing to see if this is true. I will never know if I dont open the bible and at least try to let the real truth open before my eyes. I have had this happen a few times in things I read and was shocked that I never understood the scripture I was reading before as a JW but now,,,,,,,,,wow, it was like ,,,,,,, I really get it now.

I have trouble trusting myself after being a brainwashed JW for so long, afraid that I will believe things that are not really true again, that is why I am scared to get involved with any churches or domoninations right now. Maybe one day I will find what I am searching for, but I really believe that it will be between me and God and not a religion ever again.

• Mandybp
    Mandybp

"I swear by the lord cheeses that I have no known associations with Fred Hall, Sword of Jah, realness, or elumn8 - so help me cheeses."

Happy now? *grins*

Gopher :) That's the mind blowing thing eh? That it's all a fantasy. When I look back I can't believe how I was so totally sucked in by it and now I still think about it after so many years. Talk about mind control. *shakes head*

Rayzorblade :) Thanks for the welcome - I must admit I did have to be kinda brave to post here but I'm looking forward to joining in.

LyinEyes, Hi pleased to meet you :) I'm really wary of organised religion now. I like the idea of a personal relationship with God without having to go to church and do all that stuff, first I gotta find which way to go. It's great to be able to chat to other ex-witnesses for sure. I'm kinda excited lol

• Prisca
    Prisca

Hello,

You don't need to join a church in order to worship God, but some people like the social side of it ie. meeting with others who have the same desire to worship God. I've been out for about 3 years now, and although I believe that there is a Creator, a powerful force that created this world we know, I haven't felt the urge to join a church. I think after having it shoved down my throat for 30 years that I've had enough of organised religion.

As for Armageddon, I think I lost that fear even well before I left the JWs. Don't know why, perhaps because it just doesn't seem real. I found that once I started looking into my religion, and studying the Bible on its own, that many of my preconceptions fell away, and I began to look at the JWs and the Bible from a different light.

I'd suggest that you go to the Freeminds site, as it has heaps of good info, and alot of it is presented from a Biblical point of view.

Welcome to the board!

• Goshawk
    Goshawk

Welcome,

You should find the answer to what is right for you in your own heart.

Enjoy the journey, and remember to stop and smell the roses.

Goshawk

been there done that class (12 years)

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Howdy and welcome mandybp!

14 years? Yeah that's about how long I've been out. Never got DF'd (yet), but I wouldn't go back. I too look on this site as an oasis and it has really helped me regain some lost confidence and self-esteem that the Witnesses stole from me.

I would recommend convincing yourself whether the Witnesses have "the truth". Read through the archives and pull up some threads started by Maximus, AlanF and Farkel for starters. There is some outstanding information about some teachings and behind the scenes nonsense that went on that puts this whole religion in a different light.

My personal feeling is that God knows what I went through. But honestly I am so burned out on religion, the throuht of walking into a church creates a gag response. I'll do the best I can with this life, trust that God will show me what I need and let everything else go. If that makes any sense.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit