Name one Watchtower date that they got correct

by FatFreek 2005 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

It was the year 2011. Remember that one?

Surprise, Surprise -- it wasn't one of their predictions. It was from one of their competitors, Harold Camping.

"RELIGIOUS LEADERS sometimes predict tragic worldwide events to warn mankind and gather followers. Doomsday prophet Harold Camping and his disciples widely advertised that the earth would be destroyed in 2011. Needless to say, the world is still here." Watchtower 2014 May 1 p.3

I find it interesting that they called Camping a "Doomsday prophet".

Do you suppose they look at themselves as doomsday prophets? I mean, when you consider that their failure record is far more egregious than Campings, it makes you wonder.

Len

• prologos
    prologos

Jan 1 2016 as the first day in the daily text brochure.

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

The JWs have always left a little wiggle room in its predictions.

Most of the JWs I've spoken to immediately say 1914, adding that no other religion was able to pinpoint that date except them. They were very proud of that accomplishment.

I'm still trying to appreciate the prescience. Perhaps someone could help me.

• jwleaks
    jwleaks

If I remember correctly they couldn't even get the date of the death of CT Russell correct. This error necessitated a revision in the "Revelation It's Grand-Climax" book.

"RELIGIOUS LEADERS sometimes predict tragic worldwide events to warn mankind and gather followers. Doomsday prophet Harold Camping and his disciples widely advertised that the earth would be destroyed in 2011. Needless to say, the world is still here." Watchtower 2014 May 1 p.3

Camping made a prediction that Judgement day would occur on May 21, 2011 and the End of the World on October 21, 2011.

Interesting that Watchtower would knock these particular predictions given their own connection to the dates.

At the time of May 2011 permission was granted for criminal charges to be laid against the "faithful and discreet slave class" in a court in Victoria, Australia. Judgment Day indeed. The charges were filed on July 26, 2011. July 26 is now Watchtower memorial day. The charges were in relation to non-compliance with mandatory child protection laws. This action led to the current Australian Child Abuse Royal Commission into Jehovah's Witnesses.

At the time of October 2011 the "faithful and discreet slave class" ceased to exist and was replaced by the governing body. The death stroke occurred in a court in Victoria, Australia. End of the World indeed.

I predict that one day dates will mean nothing.

• Londo111
    Londo111

They aren't a doomsday group because they've made up a definition of one that they don't match but others who had "wrong expectations" are. But outside of the loaded language of Watchtower, in the everyday vernacular, they are.

With 1914, JWs are ignorant about the history of the teaching and its ultimate roots or their kinship to the Second Adventists and Millerites. Dozens of groups all predicted the end of a 2520 year period from years the 19th century to1917 to 1934. It just so happened that one of those groups predicted a year where something happened...just not anything they were predicting. Then after the fact they revised what the prediction was all about.

• wizzstick
    wizzstick

Most of the JWs I've spoken to immediately say 1914, adding that no other religion was able to pinpoint that date except them. They were very proud of that accomplishment.

It's always worth bearing in mind two points on this.

1. They expected armageddon that year. They believed the last days began in 1799, 1914 was the endpoint.

2. They expected things to finish in October 1914. In June 1914 Archduke Franz Ferdinand was assassinated then on August 4th, 1914 WW1 really began. There was no similarlity between their predictions and start of WW1. They pinpointed nothing.

The whole 1914 thing is a classic case of serendipity - a "fortunate happenstance". The WT has eaten out on it ever since.

I wonder how many of our parents/grandparents/great grandparents came in because 'they got 1914 right'...

• wizzstick
    wizzstick

In answer to the OP title:

Name one Watchtower date that they got correct

Not one. Every single prediction and piece of speculation they've had went unfulfilled. Nothing they've ever said would happen has happened.

They will go down in history as a text book example of a false prophet.

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen

@Coldsteel,

What Londo said. And even as a coincidence 1914 sucks.

According to JW Jesus became king (again) in October, and then kicked Satan to earth.

So why did the first and most notable sign of those events - WWI - begin already months before that?

But that is a question to must be answered when looking at current JW fairy tales.

Looking at their original predictions, they explicitly said that if a Great War started in Europe (that everyone and their mother was preparing for in an arms races starting decades before 1914), that would not matter as it is not a part of the Biblical events.

Instead, they expected 1914 to be the end of Armageddon.

So their original predictions failed big time, and the nonsense they made up many years after 1914 doesn't fit history.

• smiddy
    smiddy

The GB and WT writers are liars when they speak of predicting anything about 1914. As pointed out in the above posts they have no problem revising their history to fit the facts .However JW`s are too lazy and ignorant to research the publications of that era.exposing such lies.

• Half banana
    Half banana

Russell said in the Watchtower that by 1914 the Earth would be restored to paradise with all of God's enemies having been destroyed.

So since 1914 was a prophetic FAILURE as were all their subsequent prophecies, what use are the governing body of Jehovah's Witnesses?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit