apostate

by Scooby 7 Replies latest jw friends

• Scooby
    Scooby

Does anybody know what exact definition the society gives for the word apostate?

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

From the Insight book:

Excerpt from the book Insight on the Scriptures, Vol. 1, p. 126: "Apostasy. This term in Greek (apostasia) comes from the verb aphistemi, literally meaning "stand away from". The noun has the sense of "desertion, abandonment or rebellion". (Acts 21:21, ftn) In classical Greek the noun was used to refer to political defection, and the verb is evidently employed in this sense at Acts 5:37, concerning Judas the Galilean who "drew off" (apestese, form of aphistemi) followers. The Greek Septuagint uses the term at Genesis 14:4 with reference to such a rebellion. However, in the Christian Greek Scriptures it is used primarily with regard to religious defection; a withdrawal or abandonment of the true cause, worship, and service of God, and hence an abandonment of what one has previously professed and a total desertion of principles or faith.

From the Elders Manual:

Apostasy.

Apostasy is a standing away from, a falling away, defection, rebellion, abandonment; it involves teaching false doctrines, supporting or promoting false religion and its holidays or interfaith activities. (Deut. 13:13, 15; Josh. 22:22, ftn.; Acts 21:21, ftn.; 2 Cor. 6:14, 15, 17, 18; 2 John 7, 9, 10; Rev. 18:4)

Those with sincere doubts should be helped, dealt with mercifully. (Jude 22, 23; w82 9/1 pp. 20-1; w80 8/1 pp. 21-2)

Apostasy includes action taken against true worship of Jehovah or his established order among his dedicated people. (Jer. 17:13; 23:15; 28:15, 16; 2 Thess. 2:9, 10)

Persons who deliberately spread (stubbornly hold to and speak about) teachings contrary to Bible truth as taught by Jehovah's Witnesses are apostates.

If it is learned that a person has taken up association with another religious organization, the matter should be investigated, and if verified, a committee should be formed.

If it is clearly established that the person has joined another religion and intends to remain with it, the elders would make a brief announcement to the congregation that such one has disassociated himself. (w86 10/15 p. 31)

Working secularly for a false religious organization could put one in a position similar to that of one preaching false doctrine. (2 Cor. 6:14-16)

Celebrating a false religious holiday would be similar to performing any other act of false worship. (Jer. 7:16-19)

The Bible condemns the following:

Causing divisions and promoting sects.

This would be deliberate action disrupting the unity of the congregation or undermining the confidence of the brothers in Jehovah's arrangement.

It may involve or lead to apostasy. (Rom. 16:17, 18; Titus 3:10, 11)

The practice of spiritism. (Deut. 18:9-13; 1 Cor. 10:21, 22; Gal. 5:20)

Idolatry. (1 Cor. 6:9, 10; 10:14)

Idolatry includes the possession and use of images and pictures that are employed in false religion.

AlanF had these additional comments:

" The definition used by JWs is actually much broader than this. The Watchtower Society has consistently stated that "Christendom" is really "apostate Christianity", which makes all non-JW Christians apostates. This is proved by the blanket statement above, "Persons who deliberately spread (stubbornly hold to and speak about) teachings contrary to Bible truth as taught by Jehovah's Witnesses are apostates." Clearly, that refers to anyone, whether having been a baptized JW or not. This is also proved by statements like the following from the December 15, 1997 Watchtower (p. 4)

In the first century, the apostle Paul warned Timothy that "wicked men and impostors" would slip into the Christian congregation and mislead many. (2 Timothy 3:13) This great apostasy began after the death of the apostles. (Acts 20:29, 30) Following the so-called conversion of Constantine in the fourth century, vast numbers of pagans flocked to the form of Christianity that then prevailed.

Anyone who frequents Internet discussion boards where JWs are involved quickly learns that most JWs think of all critics as apostates, not just people who were once JWs."

I tend to disagree with Alan on this. I don't believe the average witness lumps never-been-a-witness opposers into their idea of apostates. I know I didn't. Yes, as Alan showed above, the societies publications occasionally make that link. IMO, most witnesses do not.

Btw, if anyone close to me ever uses the "A" word in my direction again, I have a reply ready: "Hmmm, I'm not sure what to make of your use of the word apostate, since I've come to realise that witnesses generally use that word in much the same way a racist uses the word nigger... it's a way to dehumanize someone who doesn't fit EXACTLY the same mold. It's really repulsive when you think about it."

• Ravyn
    Ravyn

I was raised to understand that the proper definition of apostate was for those who knew 'the truth' and decided to leave it---however it was understood that at armageddon, since all who die would have had the chance to know the 'truth' all would be apostates. there were active apostates--who once were JWs and inactive ones--who are a part of christendom and their ancestors apostisized but they continue in that course.

Ravyn

• Satanus
    Satanus

Often the wt used the term 'apostate christendom'. I used to wonder why we would call on them and talk w them, since they were apostates, yet were forbidden to talk to the other apostates.

*** w96 2/15 p. 14 Joyful Now and Forever ***

God, of course, was as opposed to apostate Christendom with its elevated clergy class as he had been to the high-minded nation of Edom. Hence, Christendom, the antitypical Edom, is in line to feel the modern-day fulfillment of Isaiah chapter 34. This fulfillment by means of permanent extermination is just as certain as was the first fulfillment against ancient Edom.—Revelation 18:4-8, 19-21

SS

• Scooby
    Scooby

Thanks! That's exactly what I am looking for!

Suzi

• Hyghlandyr
    Hyghlandyr

The claim that an apostate is someone who works against the 'truth' is a common theme of cults, though other terms might be employed, such as heretic. However apostate is given in the dictionary as simply one who leaves something, a religion, a political party etc. Varying dictionaries will of course give diverse defintions but they amount to this basic tenet.

While the society's own definition bears this out, they then try to turn the word dirty by giving it an additional meaning, that of someone who fights or opposes. One can in fact be an apostate and not an opposer. The modification of a word is of course one additional sign of a cult. Though of course in so saying I am redefining the word cult, since its true meaning is religion.

The mere act of leaving ones religion to become a JW makes one an apostate. Though in most likely terms it also makes one an opposer since Jehovahs Witnesses oppose most religions.

When dealing with people, it is important to use the same definitions, or if using different definitions, to clarify plainly what you mean by a certain word. When the elders visited my house and wanted to get me to DA myself, I told them I was an apostate, showed them the definition from the dictionary and then told them Paul lied when he misused the term in application of people who stood against former christian members.

• sf
  • asleif_dufansdottir
    asleif_dufansdottir

Apostasy is a standing away from, a falling away, defection, rebellion, abandonment; it involves teaching false doctrines, supporting or promoting false religion and its holidays or interfaith activities.

Hmmm...you mean like joining the UN as an NGO??? Sorry, couldn't resist.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit