Which bible translation do you think is best and most acurate?

by NikL 33 Replies latest jw friends

• NikL
    NikL

For those that still care to read the bible of course. Those that don't, please keep the snarky comments to yourselves :-)

I am assuming NWT is not very popular?

I am using NET and NRSV mostly but others as well.

I am enjoying reading the scriptures in a way that flows. Nobody inserting a grand name where it wasn't before or clunky words like "exercise Faith" when the original Greek says "believe".

Just curious which translation is getting the love these days.

• Fernando
    Fernando

Nice catch.

Faith is not equal to belief.

Faith is a fruit and gift of the Holy Spirit and as such emanates from God.

Belief emanates from man.

Whilst I don't have a preference I have benefitted from www.biblehub.com and www.biblegateway.com .

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

I suppose it's impossible to determine the most accurate translation as there are no original texts to refer to. As for which is the 'best', well that's subjective. You're looking for an easy to read version as opposed to a scholarly referenced one.

Why not try some Carl Sagan instead?

• NikL
    NikL

I'm not looking for an easy to read version nic...and I do use bible hub AND bible gateway Fernando. They have a great app I use at the meetings :-)

I am just curious which translation people prefer. Just a curiosity thing really.

• Muddy Waters
    Muddy Waters

Am finding myself more and more agnostic/atheist these days, and am finding that reading a bible these days is very tiresome and depressing. That said, however, I do like the style(s) of the New Revised Standard Version (as do you) and the New Jerusalem Bible - I love their use of"Yahwey" instead of the now-loathsome "Jehovah"... I also really enjoy The Message, almost a paraphrase but very scholarly and well researched.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

I thInk one has to compare many so as to get the meaning of what the scriptures really say. I also think the Septuagint is the most accurate when it comes to timelines and the history of the Bible stories. I use a bible app as well on my phone that has over 50 translations so it's great for comparison. But let's not forget many of the stories in the Bible were lifted from older writings and then modified so if you want real accuracy then you'll want to read the original stories from the original writings .

• Giordano
    Giordano

I tossed out my bible over 50 years ago....along with everything else related to the WTBT$.

However I will use Bible Hub and Bible Gateway if there's an interesting disussion that happens to make a point by quoting a scripture though I will leave a POV if there are single scriptures cherry picked to make a point. That's a bad left over WT habit and should not be indulged in a debate.

• Fairlane
    Fairlane

Any mistranslation, especially to bolster' in house' doctrine , which corrupts the original language should be avoided....however, any biblical canonizing which is accepted as genuine, especially as the origination of said writings is at best dubious should imo be avoided...hence i avoid all bibles. They are at best books which promote confusion,the evidence of which is abundantly apparent.

• oppostate
    oppostate

I rather like the new Jerusalem bible.

The WEB world English bible is also quite nice readable, modern, and free.

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

http://www.2001translation.com/ is as good/better than most.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit