Is AI going to change the world?

by Reasonfirst 54 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

I think of AI as a tool. But like a gun, in the hands of child becomes very dangerous, I have already heard the word "Skynet" in my mind.

• Reasonfirst
    Reasonfirst

Is it another "end-of-the-world" narrative - it's source is suggestive.

US Warned AI Poses ‘Extinction-Level Threat’ to Humanity – Time

March 12, 2024

A new report will claim many AI workers inside cutting-edge labs are worried about incentives driving decision making

Illustration to represent AI-generated deepfakesGlobal governments including the European Union, United States and China are exploring ways to regulate AI. Image: Freepik

A US Government report has warned that lawmakers must move quickly to avert the risk of an “extinction-level threat to the human species” caused by artificial intelligence, Time reported.

The authors of the report spoke to more than 200 government employees, experts, and workers at frontier AI companies – such as OpenAI, Google DeepMind, Anthropic and Meta – and, according to the story, came to some unsettling conclusions.

“The rise of advanced AI and AGI [artificial general intelligence] has the potential to destabilise global security in ways reminiscent of the introduction of nuclear weapons,” the report cautioned lawmakers, recommending sweeping and unprecedented policy actions that, if enacted, would radically disrupt the AI industry.

Read the full story: Time

ClIpped from Asia Financial:

https://www.asiafinancial.com/us-warned-ai-poses-extinction-level-threat-to-humanity-time?utm_source=Klaviyo&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=AF%20Daily%20-%20Mar%2012%20%2801HRS4JP6XT9ZQ9WNDRPYQ0SAM%29&utm_content=%E2%80%9Cextinction-level%20threat%20to%20the%20human%20species%E2%80%9D%20caused%20by%20artificial%20intelligence%2C&_kx=FHRLEhs7CpUctQDICsT-perNf3c4-PdRP4kZsPpokeA.JGevqp

• Reasonfirst
    Reasonfirst

The Claim: AI masters another facet of human intelligence

Two artificial intelligences talk to each other

Date:
    March 18, 2024
    Source:
    Université de Genève
    Summary:
    Performing a new task based solely on verbal or written instructions, and then describing it to others so that they can reproduce it, is a cornerstone of human communication that still resists artificial intelligence (AI). A team has succeeded in modelling an artificial neural network capable of this cognitive prowess. After learning and performing a series of basic tasks, this AI was able to provide a linguistic description of them to a 'sister' AI, which in turn performed them.

Link : https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2024/03/240318142438.htm

• Reasonfirst
    Reasonfirst

And, what's at the heart of all this talk??

Maybe this Bloomberg news video sees the issue clearly-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbzcZr_Nadc

• ThomasMore
    ThomasMore

Then why do trading AI's still suck more than Alaskan mosquitos?

See for yourself. Toss $25,000 into an AI driven brokerage account and see how long it takes to turn it into $25.00.

Answer: Don't take a bathroom break because it won't be long.

I see lots of AI content and it is dribble.

On the other hand, when AI spends my bank account on floppy disks, I will be a believer.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit