What is "marked"?

by LifesNotOver 9 Replies latest jw friends

• LifesNotOver
    LifesNotOver

I've been curious for a while ... what is it when people type "marked" in their posts? What does it mean and how does it work? Thanks.

• Tallon
    Tallon

Basically you're deemed to be 'bad association' and one to be wary of, or limit your association with the individual.

The same as shunning the individual although to a lesser extent.

PS: I hope that this 'marked' is what is being meant.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

If you mean in a post, it's just placing a marker post, like a bookmark, so that they can more easily retrieve a thread in the future by looking at the list of threads they have posted on

• compound complex
    compound complex

Simon has asked we not do that . . .

I believe because it's wasteful of a post.

• Simon
    Simon

Yes, it's a pointless thing to tell the world you've bookmarked something. "Yippee do".

I delete them when I see them and will likely automate it at some point so expecting it to work as a bookmark is really not going to work.

Here's a good, basic rule of thumb to decide if something is a good idea or not:

What would happen if everyone did this? ... all the time?

It would make any forum unusable pretty quickly with nothing but pages of "I read it" or "marked" comments. So why should some people get to do it and not others?

That's why they are deleted and if people do it a lot, their posting limit is reduced.

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

oh heck, i didn't realize any of that - i guess i can just use my own bookmarker in my browser. Except maybe that won't work because you have to sign in?

• Tallon
    Tallon

Oh dear, I really misunderstood the original post.

Sorry.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

To be honest I thought it was a compliment...like this is a fantastic post haven't got time now but will get back to it later. Or it's that others have said what you think and you mean to add your approval without waffle.

But that's just me.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Iown Mylife:

When I want to save any page on any website, bookmarking works on both my DELL and my Apple. I'm not sure about the logon element because I remain logged on here. Or, you can save a page to docs on your pc.

Hope this helps.

• oppostate
    oppostate

@Diogenesister

I also thought that when someone says "marked" it was like saying "this thread interests me and I'll be going back to it to read more".

Also there'e the "bump" which basically just brings that post up on the list of latest topics.

The search on the forum is not something I use a lot, so to go back to a post I just click the favorites/bookmark icon on my browser and keep interesting threads on a bookmark folder of favorite links. And there are quite a lot of nifty, eye-opening, and helpful threads on this forum to keep track of, that's for sure.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit